Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

How long has Harrison Ford's Career been sucking now?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-04-05, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Harrison hasn't put out a quality movie for like seven years (Air force One) and that was still just an above average "Popcorn" flick. You have to go back another four years to get to The Fugitive. Basically what happen to this guy’s career and why is he still considered a top tier actor.
Old 09-04-05, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Guy gets a pass...just hum the theme music in your head and you will remember why is so beloved.

and if that doesn't move ya...try this one

He was the top grossing actor of all time until this year (when sam jackson passed him) according to jackson on leno. I think the guy has some good left in him....its not like hes doing 4 movies a year.
Old 09-04-05, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would say that K-19: The Widowmaker was at least as good as Air Force One. I also enjoyed What Lies Beneath, it wasn't a bad little thriller.
Old 09-04-05, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,310 Likes on 954 Posts
I agree with Cameron... the guy get a pass. Yes, he's made some clinkers (Hollywood Homicide... wtf?) but he's been in some of my favorite films of all time: (Indy & Han are a given) The Conversation, American Graffiti and Blade Runner.
Old 09-04-05, 10:02 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
He's an aging legend known for his action roles (that are obviously diminished) . . . and he more than gets a pass from this fan.
Old 09-04-05, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

American Graffiti, The Conversation, the Star Wars films, Apocalypse Now, the Indiana Jones films, Blade Runner, the Jack Ryan films, The Fugitive...

While he may not have done much in the last decade or so, I think I can live with it. It's comparable to people saying, "God, why is Robert DeNiro sucking so much ass these days?" Because he's a legend. Because nothing will ever take away from his legacy. Because he can.

Harrison Ford is no Robert DeNiro, mind you, but he's built an unbreakable legacy nonetheless.

-JP
Old 09-04-05, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 877 Likes on 615 Posts
He hasn't done anything noteworth in a long time.

I never considered him much of an actor. His best performance was in Star Wars where he was good as a cocky smartass. He was alright in Indy, and a couple other films.

He's really a very limited actor and his performances are very cardboard-like.

And I really wouldn't included The Conversation when talking his films. His role in that was very small.
Old 09-04-05, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 168 Likes on 120 Posts
He does get a pass, but his last really decent film was Air Force One, IMHO. Although I found Hollywood Homicide surprisingly amusing, really.
Old 09-04-05, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah I agree that Air Force One was his last decent film. I didn't care for What Lies Beneath. When it comes to Robert DeNiro at least he makes more than 1 film a year so every once in awhile he comes out with a hit like Meet the Parents.
Old 09-04-05, 12:23 PM

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,176 Posts
What I find frustrating as a fan of his is how his recent films do not interest me all that much (or many people at all, given box office receipts), and yet he finds such disdain for Han Solo and all things Star Wars. I find it hard to understand how someone can turn their back on the thing that made them so big to begin with.
Old 09-04-05, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 218 Likes on 156 Posts
Well I'll give him credit in that unlike other actors he doesn't do every script he's given. I'd rather him put one out every few yrs even if it's crap than do five a year, four of which turn out to be crap. Imo the latter senario blemishes an actor's career more.

But yeah overall a pretty dissapointing 12 yrs since The Fugitive.

Last edited by Artman; 09-04-05 at 01:10 PM.
Old 09-04-05, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,376 Likes on 937 Posts
Originally Posted by Cameron

He was the top grossing actor of all time until this year (when sam jackson passed him) according to jackson on leno.
Just because you are in a bunch of movies, doesn't make it so. Counting the Star Wars movies is pretty weak since he's hardly in them. Ford was one of the focal points in the original SW movies, whereas Jackson is an ancillary character.
Old 09-04-05, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Funny, I thought about this same thing just a few days ago.

Up until around the time of The Fugitive, Harrison Ford was virtually a mark of quality because he was seldom ever in any bad movies, and frequently was in good or great movies. But for the last decade or so, everything changed and he was seldom in any good movies. I think it has to be the age issue - he was getting too old for the more action-oriented roles that made him a star, yet he was so identified as more of an "action star" and not as an "actor" that he wasn't being offered quality character-driven roles. So the roles he was offered were in lesser movies, for the most part.

Still, you have to take your hat off to a guy who has been in so many modern classics (such as the Star Wars Original Trilogy, the Indiana Jones series, and Blade Runner).
Old 09-04-05, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He started sucking when he began to date that frog-faced stick woman from Ally McBeal.
Old 09-04-05, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 877 Likes on 615 Posts
Originally Posted by mllefoo
He started sucking when he began to date that frog-faced stick woman from Ally McBeal.
He's been dating her since 1994?!?!?
Old 09-04-05, 04:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Coral
He hasn't done anything noteworth in a long time.

I never considered him much of an actor. His best performance was in Star Wars where he was good as a cocky smartass. He was alright in Indy, and a couple other films.

He's really a very limited actor and his performances are very cardboard-like.

And I really wouldn't included The Conversation when talking his films. His role in that was very small.
Obviously you've never seen Witness, The Mosquito Coast, Frantic, Working Girl or Presumed Innocent...to name a few.
Old 09-04-05, 04:38 PM
En vacance

He was king of the 80's:
Star Wars (1977)
Force 10 from Navarone (1978)
Apocalypse Now (1979)
The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
Blade Runner (1982)
Return of the Jedi (1983)
Temple of Doom (1984)
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)
Old 09-04-05, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

He's considered top tier simply because he has always delivered a hit few every few years. In the 80s he was king. But in the 90s, he was still churning out hits, with Presumed Innocent, Patriot Games, The Fugitive, Clear and Present Danger, Air Force One, and What Lies Beneath all turning in solid to fantastic numbers. Heck even Six Days Seven Nights did ok.

And that's really all there is to it. He's in a slump right now, as Hollywood Homicide and K19 were both big flops. But that's two flops...if he can deliver another hit (and if he does IJ4 there's no doubt he will) then again, he'll get the paydays and movies he wants. Money talks basically...

As for his last good movie? Well, I'm of the opinion that Ford stopped acting a long time ago, and pretty much just took up mumbling and pointing his finger angrily. I do miss the old Harrison Ford. Though he seemed to show a little more life in his last picture Hollywood Homicide, even though that movie still sucked.
Old 09-04-05, 05:39 PM
Cool New Member

both Harrison and Sean Connery have fallen pretty far from their haydays..ironically both have this arrogant attitude about themselves in the press and public eye
its a shame.
Old 09-04-05, 06:45 PM

and yet he finds such disdain for Han Solo and all things Star Wars. I find it hard to understand how someone can turn their back on the thing that made them so big to begin with.
I honestly don't know where people get this from. I've never seen him show any disdain for Star Wars or the character of Han Solo. I've certainly never seen him turn his back on it. He just didn't eat, sleep, and breath it. I even heard him say in past interviews that he loved the character and enjoyed his time in Star Wars. He participated in the DVD supplemental material. At Lucas' AFI, almost with tears in his eyes he told Lucas thanks for my career, I love you.

Sure, he teases Lucas about the dialogue. Nothing wrong with that. But he's no more turned his back on Star Wars than Fisher or Hamill. There's just nothing left for him in Star Wars. It was a job, he finished it, and he's moved on.

Ford is just a man who looks and sounds miserable all the time. He rarely smiles, laughs, or seems to be having a good time.

Now Alec Guiness is the one who resented Star Wars. Why? Because despite all of his great work, the character of Obi-Wan overshadowed his career, and he resented it. However, he was one of the few who originally thought it could be good, even when friends were telling him he'd be crazy to star in that obscure sci-fi movie. Why?

Last edited by Terrell; 09-04-05 at 06:47 PM.
Old 09-04-05, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones
Just because you are in a bunch of movies, doesn't make it so. Counting the Star Wars movies is pretty weak since he's hardly in them. Ford was one of the focal points in the original SW movies, whereas Jackson is an ancillary character.
i would agree to a certain extent...but the way it works is, basically if your in the movie, the box office reciepts count for you (every agent in hollywood uses that system as well) While Jackson has been in a lot of movies in bit parts (kill bill 2, coming to america, etc.) Ford has had a fair share of big money in small roles (apocolypse now) Also note that this change happened before Star Wars 3 came out...
Old 09-04-05, 07:28 PM

i would agree to a certain extent...but the way it works is, basically if your in the movie, the box office reciepts count for you (every agent in hollywood uses that system as well) While Jackson has been in a lot of movies in bit parts (kill bill 2, coming to america, etc.) Ford has had a fair share of big money in small roles (apocolypse now) Also note that this change happened before Star Wars 3 came out...
That is how it works, but let's keep in mind that's just for silly little lists. That Sam Jackson's movies have grossed more then anyone else stands as nothing more then a piece of trivia. Nobody attributes the success of the prequels or Jurassic Park or heck Patriot Games (to bring Harrison Ford into this) to Sam.

Let's not forget who still gets the bigger paycheck. The highest grossing list means only so much. Heck one of the highest grossing actors around, over 1 billion is Steve Guttenburg. That list only means so much.
Old 09-04-05, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

He was the top grossing actor of all time until this year (when sam jackson passed him) according to jackson on leno. I think the guy has some good left in him....its not like hes doing 4 movies a year.
Sam ought to check his stats. According to BoxOfficeMojo, Harrison is second on the all-time list to Tom Hanks.

Last edited by mano365; 09-04-05 at 07:38 PM.
Old 09-04-05, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 332 Likes on 248 Posts
Easy answer: Since "THE FUGITIVE". (The last "good" movie he made...I disagree with those who claim that AIR FORCE ONE, WHAT LIES BENEATH or K-19 were better than average films.)

And for those who don't think Harrison can act...go watch WITNESS or FRANTIC again.

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 09-04-05 at 07:53 PM.
Old 09-04-05, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by mano365
Sam ought to check his stats. According to BoxOfficeMojo, Harrison is second on the all-time list to Tom Hanks.
Well, that list doesn't seem to include all of his pictures like Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones and Jurassic Park. Youv'e kinda got to add everything to make Jackson #1 and those three pictures alone equal a billion dollars.

They're got the films they don't count greyed out.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.