Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The mystery of the ESB time span revealed??

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 08-26-05, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a 7 day trial to hyperspace at starwars.com and checked one of their member exclusive EU stories.

Here's how it starts:

Changing the Odds: From the Adventures of Dannen Lifehold
By Dave Marron; Illustrations by Doug Shuler

"Are we there yet?"

Dannen looked at Purr. It was the fortieth time she'd asked him during this two-week trip through hyperspace, and it had been driving him nuts. This time, however, he had an answer for her.

"We should be coming up on Rafft soon," he said.

"Then we meet this... Rebellion?"

"Sort of. We're going to meet a group of Rebels who work out of this system."
http://www.starwars.com/hyperspace/m...819/index.html

So this could confirm that the falcon's hyperspace trips could have taken some time, thus explaining Luke's training.
Old 08-26-05, 10:27 AM

What does this have to do with ESB? Hyperspace didn't work for 90% of the movie...
Old 08-26-05, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kajs
What does this have to do with ESB? Hyperspace didn't work for 90% of the movie...
It did work when they were going to cloud city
Old 08-26-05, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,430 Likes on 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by Class316
Actually, no. They only went to Cloud City (Anoat System) because it was close enough to reach without hyperdrive.

I posted this in another thread, what seems likely is they made several jumps while still attached to the Star Destroyer. Then they traveled at sublight speeds to Bespin. However, relativity might have come into play, where they would have been travelling at an appreciable fraction of the speed of light, thus time would slow down for them, maybe only seemingly a few weeks. This would explain having enough food supplies on board the Falcon, and not killing each other from cabin fever. In reality, the voyage might have taken many months to the rest of the galaxy, thus allowing Luke enough time to bulk up and learn so much.
Old 08-26-05, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They went to Cloud City specifically to repair the hyperdrive. It wasn't working.
Old 08-26-05, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

oh right. My mistake.

Still, who knows how long they stayed trying to escape from the clutches of the Empire.
Old 08-26-05, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

oh right. My mistake.

Still, who knows how long they stayed trying to escape from the clutches of the Empire.
At Bespin? No more than a few days. Remember, the Empire arrived shortly before they did. They hid only long enough to bring Luke, who if you'll remember, had a working hyperdrive.
Old 08-26-05, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I posted this in another thread, what seems likely is they made several jumps while still attached to the Star Destroyer.
"Well, if they follow standard Imperial procedure, they'll dump
their garbage before they go to light-speed, then we just float away."
Old 08-26-05, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"Well, if they follow standard Imperial procedure, they'll dump
their garbage before they go to light-speed, then we just float away."

As I said in the other thread, I know Han said that, but he's always spouting off about something. How many times did he say "watch this" when trying to escape?

Of all the inconsistencies, that one is the most minor IMHO.
Old 08-26-05, 04:11 PM

What's the name of the other thread? I'm sorry I missed it.
Old 08-26-05, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
As I said in the other thread, I know Han said that, but he's always spouting off about something. How many times did he say "watch this" when trying to escape?

Of all the inconsistencies, that one is the most minor IMHO.
Dude - you're reaching. The Millenium Falcon did not make several hyperspace jumps while attached to the star destroyer.
Old 08-26-05, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
two weeks in hyperspace? they must have entered it and then shut off the forward movement engine
when the falcon goes past the SD and "docks" on it a short while later the imperial guy says that "if they went into hyperspace they'd be halfway across the galaxy by now"
Old 08-27-05, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rennervision
Dude - you're reaching. The Millenium Falcon did not make several hyperspace jumps while attached to the star destroyer.

I don't like it anymore than you do, but it's the easiest explanation.

Originally Posted by mikehunt
two weeks in hyperspace? they must have entered it and then shut off the forward movement engine
when the falcon goes past the SD and "docks" on it a short while later the imperial guy says that "if they went into hyperspace they'd be halfway across the galaxy by now"
No, two weeks at sublight speeds, but close enough to lightspeed that relativity started to come into play.

Something that might bear explaining is the difference between warp speed from Star Trek and hyperspace from Star Wars. Warp speed is a "warping" of realspace that causes the ship to "fall foward" through space at speeds above lightspeed and at multiple factors of it. Now for hyperspace, imagine a piece of paper with different dots on it as your destinations. Now, an ant is is your ship walking across the paper which is laid flat. Hyperspace postulates that the paper isn't actually flat, but wavy and crumpled up, and hyperspace is finding a shortcut between two points by leaving normal space, going thru a fold in the paper, and coming into normal space at your destination on the other side of the fold or ripple.

Now granted, we've never gotten a true explanation from Lucasfilm on the Falcon's propulsion, so this is all speculative, plus dealing with the flanneled one's less than perfect writing.

There are a lot of holes in the whole sequence, but I think mine is the easiest explanation, Occam's Razor and all.
Old 08-27-05, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 176 Posts
from starwars.com

Travel between star systems would be impossible were it not for the development of the revolutionary hyperdrive propulsion system. The term hyperdrive refers to the engine and interrelated systems that propel a starship through the alternate dimension of hyperspace. In hyperspace, there is no limit to how fast a starship can travel, and thus interstellar distances can be traversed in mere minutes.

Before entering hyperspace, a pilot must supply exact coordinates derived by the ship's navicomputer. Without precise calculations, a ship may collide with a body in hyperspace with catastrophic results.

Although largely reliable, constant modifications to a hyperdrive can render it untrustworthy. Han Solo's Millennium Falcon had an extremely recalcitrant hyperdrive which often failed when needed the most.
http://www.starwars.com/databank/tec...ive/index.html

The invention of the hyperdrive millennia ago is perhaps the single-most important development in galactic history, as it allowed for the Republic's growth and expansion. Early hyperdrives were limited in range and reliability. Thousands of years ago, ships would use hyperspace beacons and jump points to travel from system to system on specific routes.

Modern hyperdrives are classified by their speeds, with the lower the class number, the faster the drive. The Millennium Falcon has an extremely fast hyperdrive, rated at class 0.5.

Numerous safety systems restrict the use of a hyperdrive while near the presence of a large gravitational field. As a result, a ship cannot enter hyperspace safely until it has traveled a certain distance from a planet's gravity well. Military engineers have exploited this characteristic in developing weapons such as artificial gravity well generators. These devices fool hyperdrives into thinking a gravity well is present, and disable a target ship's ability to escape into hyperspace.
http://www.starwars.com/databank/tec...erdrive/?id=eu
Old 08-27-05, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That doesn't provide any hard numbers, and it still doesn't explain the Falcon making it from one solar system to another at sub-light speeds.

I honestly don't like getting into this kind of detail for the Star Wars movies, I prefer to think of them as myths and legends from "a long time ago", where the details may have been blurred with time, but the heart of the story remains.

This is really the only thing I wish we could get an answer for from Lucasfilm. Weren't they doing a question of the month thing on the official site a few years back? I think they stopped after AOTC for some reason, this would be a great question for it.
Old 08-27-05, 04:43 PM

ho
ly

crap
Old 08-27-05, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
No, two weeks at sublight speeds, but close enough to lightspeed that relativity started to come into play.
I meant the 2 weeks from the quoted EU story
Old 08-29-05, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

At Bespin? No more than a few days. Remember, the Empire arrived shortly before they did. They hid only long enough to bring Luke, who if you'll remember, had a working hyperdrive.
No, before Bespin. There’s no telling how much the time span is. They could have been 2 weeks in that creature’s stomach.
Old 08-29-05, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No, before Bespin. There’s no telling how much the time span is. They could have been 2 weeks in that creature’s stomach.
Sure, though I don't get the feeling that was more than a few hours at most. Anymore time than that and I think Han and Chewie would have been able to get a little closer to fixing the hyperdrive.

The issue still at hand is making it between solar systems at sublight speeds and Luke having enough time to get good enough to hold up against Vader for more than five seconds.
Old 08-29-05, 01:46 PM

I can't see why it couldn't have just been a day or two. Luke obviously practiced some Jedi stuff before he met Yoda, as evidenced in the Wampa cave scene and Yoda was angry that he was leaving early, I see more evidence it was days as opposed to weeks.

And to answer the question "How many times did he say "watch this" when trying to escape?"... Searching the script, I found it once.
Old 08-29-05, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't see why it couldn't have just been a day or two. Luke obviously practiced some Jedi stuff before he met Yoda, as evidenced in the Wampa cave scene and Yoda was angry that he was leaving early, I see more evidence it was days as opposed to weeks.
That I just can't buy. We see in TPM that ObiWan was still a Padawan at age 25. Luke only had a little training with Obi-Wan before he died, and I don't see how he could have taught himself that well. Any fool can swing a lightsaber around, we see Han do it a little bit later.
It has to be weeks simply for the muscle tone to build up, much less the mentail training he needs.

And to answer the question "How many times did he say "watch this" when trying to escape?"... Searching the script, I found it once.
OK, but how many how many times does he mouth off about something and he's quickly proven wrong? That's all I was trying to get at, nothing more.