Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"20 Most Overrated Movies of all Time" - Premiere Magazine

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

"20 Most Overrated Movies of all Time" - Premiere Magazine

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-05, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just don't think he's a very good actor.
DAMN! Crowe is an exceptional actor by any meaning of the word.
Old 11-13-05, 03:26 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Johny Boy
2001: A Beautiful Mind - I agree. But I may be slightly biased because I hate Russell Crowe. I hated Gladiator, a lot.
Hate is a very strong word to use. You may dislike something, or someone, but never hate, because sustaining the feeling of hatred will gradually destroy the heart spiritually as a person.

Originally Posted by Johny Boy
2001:The Wizard of Oz - I'd never buy this movie, but I disagree. It's a very important part of American culture.
You don't want The Wizard of Oz in your DVD collection? This movie is a must for every DVD collector.
Old 11-13-05, 03:26 PM
Cool New Member

Judging from most of the choices here I gather that not too many people here appreciate Spielberg, Scorsese and Kubrick

Chicago is the movie that I've seen in the past few years whose popularity boggles me to this day. One of those infamous films with "GROUNDBREAKING!" performances by popular "We love them for being the women they are"-type actresses.
Old 11-13-05, 04:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SINGLE104
Hate is a very strong word to use. You may dislike something, or someone, but never hate, because sustaining the feeling of hatred will gradually destroy the heart spiritually as a person.
As I said before, I was only casually using the word hate.

You don't want The Wizard of Oz in your DVD collection? This movie is a must for every DVD collector.
I respect The Wizard of Oz for what it is, but I only buy dvds that I enjoy watching. I don't buy dvds as trophies. The Wizard of Oz does nothing for me except maybe put me to sleep. I can't imagine ever watching The Wizard of Oz by my own free will, therefore it would be a waste of money.
Old 11-13-05, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by island007
Citizen Kane should top that list.
It is a good movie; however it doesn't deserve 'the level of gushing and fawning over it receives.' (AFI #1)
I AGREE. There is some SERIOUS overacting by the female lead. Never really found the story that engaging either.
Old 11-13-05, 06:03 PM
Banned

We could debate repetitiously on this subject forever!
Old 11-13-05, 06:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Titanic
I agree! The first half of this three hour movie was basically just a love story, and quite boring. The second half is the best part.
Old 11-13-05, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jmattver1
Now here is one that is gonna get everyone miffed.
MATRIX REVOLUTIONS.

Come on lets admit it the first one ruled, the second was decent, but come on the third was like walking into a hole nother story. it reeked
Who's ever rated the third Matrix well?
Old 11-15-05, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I agree with a lot of them except for 2001 and Clerks. I think that there are a lot of other films that should be included on the list. Almost any film made by Ron Howard, Zemeckis (or however you write his stupid bloody name), a lot of Spielbergs films (Schindlers List, Color Purple, Amistad, Jurrasic Park...etc.) and films like Ray that win Oscars for nothing at all. Just total bore-fests.
Old 11-15-05, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

puh leeze

Old 11-15-05, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate people who don't use the word hate.

As for overrated, A Beautiful Mind has to top that list for my tastes. I hated that movie...the blurring of the story, the acting...everything.

= J
Old 11-15-05, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm sure I'll get roasted for this but I would add Seven Samurai to the list of overrated films. I didn't dislike the film, but for me it was not among Kurasawa's best. The film just seems a little bland and mechanical at times, Yet pretty much everyone who has seen it, ranks it up among the greatest films ever made.
Old 11-16-05, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh come ON, Dr.DVD...like Titanic got lots of praise....
Old 11-16-05, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I've read this article and had a hard time believing the writer is serious. Some of these films weren't really ever that highly rated (Chicago, Fantasia, etc.) to even deserve overrated status, and Nashville...The Wizard of Oz? Overrated? That's just silly.
However, I do agree with one.

Gone With the Wind sucks.