Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone remember this 80's movie?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 08-12-05, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had a sort of flashback to a movie I saw several times on HBO as a kid in the early 80's, and was wondering if anyone knew the name of it.

It was about a rich kid who was between the ages of 14 and 16 who was peeping in at the maid (who I think was French). She catches him and invites him in and does a strip show for him, after which he runs out all scared.... Eventually they actually start dating and some sort of criminal turns out to be after the maid for some reason and that's where my memory craps out. I do remember there's a big seduction scene where she tries to get him into a bathtub with her.

Sounds weird, but it's killing me that I can't remember the name of it because my friends have no idea what I'm talking about when I mentioned it. It must have been made either in the very early 80's or late 70's. Would love to know what it's called and if it's on DVD.
thanks
Old 08-12-05, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 340 Likes on 259 Posts
Private Lessons. It's available on a region-free DVD from Korea (not sure if it's legit or not) but the transfer is much too dark and there's some pixel-type censoring in 2 scenes. MCA put it out on laserdisc in 1981 and that version is much better. I actually saw this movie uncut on broadcast TV in 1986, and have been jealous of that kid ever since! Wish I knew a little more of the history behind this movie.
Old 08-12-05, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

awesome, thanks!
Old 08-12-05, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was thinking of another similar movie, My Tutor. I think that it was basically a rip off of Private Lessons.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085980/
Old 08-12-05, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's funny because thinking about My Tutor is what drudged up that old memory of Private Lessons.
Old 08-13-05, 05:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My Tutor was on cable this past week.
Old 08-14-05, 04:48 PM

The guy in My Tutor was older though- in Private Lessons it was a fucking KID. Lucky bastard, and I'm amazed they got away with it.
Old 08-14-05, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know, it really doesn't seem like something they could make now. Probably why it's pretty much out of print. Something like that where the older person isn't a villain wouldn't get by the morality police of either political side these days. Not that this was a great film or anything... just interesting compared to now when movies are more about fake boobs and fart jokes.

Last edited by lamphorn; 08-14-05 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-15-05, 08:41 AM

Received 111 Likes on 90 Posts
Very, very fond memories of this movie as a kid.
Old 08-15-05, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Milo and Otis?
Old 08-15-05, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by lamphorn
I just had a sort of flashback to a movie I saw several times on HBO as a kid in the early 80's, and was wondering if anyone knew the name of it.

It was about a rich kid who was between the ages of 14 and 16 who was peeping in at the maid (who I think was French). She catches him and invites him in and does a strip show for him, after which he runs out all scared.... Eventually they actually start dating and some sort of criminal turns out to be after the maid for some reason and that's where my memory craps out. I do remember there's a big seduction scene where she tries to get him into a bathtub with her.

Sounds weird, but it's killing me that I can't remember the name of it because my friends have no idea what I'm talking about when I mentioned it. It must have been made either in the very early 80's or late 70's. Would love to know what it's called and if it's on DVD.
thanks
Loved that movie!
Old 08-16-05, 07:38 AM

I loved that movie too, and the fat friend Sherman, I named a character in my screenplay after him and thought it would be funny to have Eric do a cameo if it was ever made, as Sherman to see if anyone ever got the joke. I also remember Lester was the name of the Butler and Silvia Krystal (from Emmanuelle) was the maid. I remember the kid on the roof at the party with Rod Stewart song playing for some reason, think it was the song. Everytime I hear it it brings me back to that scene.
Old 08-16-05, 07:34 PM

Eric Brown supposedly had a cameo as a teacher recently in "Outside Providence" but I didn't notice him. After Private Lessons he did a similar-type movie with Sybil Danning called They're Playing With Fire, and some cheap movie called Video Murders which I've never seen. He was also on the show Mama's Family. IMDB says he now works for some organization that promotes anti-consumerism.
The kid who played Sherman never showed up in anything else, wonder what happened to him?