Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Who's seeing the sneak preview of The Great Raid tomorrow?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 08-05-05, 07:19 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure as hell not. War movies are so tired, and with this one on the shelf for 3 years, it's not like it'll be any good.
Old 08-05-05, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looks pretty good to me. Not tomorrow, but I'll see it eventually.
Old 08-05-05, 08:18 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Bobbin
I'm sure as hell not. War movies are so tired, and with this one on the shelf for 3 years, it's not like it'll be any good.

It's not a bad film, just dull. The raid material in the 3rd act is actually some of the better battle stuff I've seen in recent years. Trouble is, it feels like an eternity to get there.
Old 08-05-05, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like war films. I'll see it. There's a threadcrap for ya!
Old 08-06-05, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not a chance. I'll wait for rental.
Old 08-14-05, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Absolutely loved this movie.

It was slow and deliberate for the first 3/4 but I see it more as a character film than action flick.

Good (not great) character development and there were some tense moments.

Really enjoyed it. Probably go see it again next weekend.
Old 08-15-05, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If it is a war movie count me in. I will go see it.
Old 08-15-05, 12:20 PM

saw this over two years ago. no interest in revisiting it.
Old 08-15-05, 01:30 PM

How did you see this 2 years ago. It's a new movie (at least I thought).
Old 08-15-05, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Worms
It's a film that Miramax has shelved for three years, and is now getting a release as the Weinsteins end their contract. Several on-the-shelf flicks are now getting a release to grab some cash, hence the lack of a real advertising campaign; they're trying to keep it as profitable as possible.

It's not unusual to think that it was screened and previewed a few years ago.
Old 08-15-05, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Big Worms
i was working on the trailer before it got shelved.
Old 08-15-05, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
For 2 years, my grandfather was in the prison camp depicted here.

He was transferred to another camp just 3 months before the raid would've rescued him.
Old 08-15-05, 05:39 PM
Banned

where do you guys get tickets to see sneak previews before opening date?
Old 08-16-05, 04:19 AM

Any reviews? It looks like it could be a compelling story, but I haven't seen as much as a single trailer for this....didn't even know it existed until today.
Old 09-05-05, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I had no clue about the existence of this movie until my aunt suggested that we go to it. So I saw this last weekend and thought it was okay. I agree that there was a bit too much build-up to get to the raid.

I went to see March of the Penguins the following day, so I dubbed last weekend The Baton Death March of the Penguins.
Old 09-05-05, 08:17 PM

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
It's playing at the local military theater at the end of the month, so my wife and I will go see it then...

BTW, they did a sneak of it the Wednesday before it opened.
Old 12-22-05, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Shame on the brothers Weinstein.

I am a huge fan of war films and just watched this one on DVD. I really enjoyed it.....and the very end of the film really struck me on an emotional level (the misty-eyed thing is happening to me way too much recently).

"The Great Raid" isn't the greatest war movie ever made or anything but it is a satisfying entry in the very crowded genre. It is most definitely a movie as opposed to cinema as art; the performances weren't of any special note, the direction was vanilla, and the whole film is more a B-level affair but I enjoyed the story (which is based on actual events) and found it well-paced (I didn't think the first half was slow) with a stirring conclusion. It did a nice job weaving back and forth between the three separate stories and I found all three storylines involving.

This is an old-fashioned WWII picture that pays honor to those involved (including the Philippino soldiers and resistance fighters who have sadly been more than a little overlooked in the war film genre). In reading some of the professional reviews out there, I'm a little dumbstruck by the criticism. What is wrong with a patriotic film honoring those involved? Sometimes all the PC revisionism is just a bit too much. Okay, so the Japanese soldiers in this film are presented as evil and one-dimensional....big deal. Ask residents of Nanking if they have any problem with that portrayal. If I recall correctly, one reviewer seemed to question the ill-timed and insensitive release of this film which seemed to coincide with the 60th anniversary of dropping the bomb on Hiroshima and Nagasaki..............give me a break! Yes, it was terrible that innocent civilians had to pay the ultimate price but that's what happens in war.....maybe their leaders should have been a little wiser.

With their treatment of this film, my disgust with the Weinsteins has hit an all-time high. They buried this film and in doing so dishonored all those involved in the Philippine campaign..........for what, so the brothers Weinstein could line their pockets with more dollars.

Anyway, before I start giving the forum censor a workout with further comments on the Weinsteins, "The Great Raid" landed on DVD just this week, so do give it some consideration if you are in need of something to watch. It comes in a 1-disc full-screen only theatrical release and the preferred 2-disc widescreen director's cut (which might actually be a couple of minutes shorter than the theatrical version) - the 2-discer also comes with a book on "The Great Raid" (the dearth of DVD reviews on the set is disappointing).

To DVDTalker GuessWho,
Reading your post was a punch to my gut and heartbreaking; I don't even know what to say....I wish somehow that good fortune would have found your Grandfather.

edited to add: to add some perspective to my above comments I just wanted to add that I actually really enjoyed Nicholas Cage's "Windtalkers" (it had its share of flaws for sure but I still liked it). Also, don't expect "The Great Raid" to have a lot of action. You only get some fair action towards the end but that didn't prevent the last half hour or more from still being exciting and stirring.

Last edited by flixtime; 12-23-05 at 04:30 PM.
Old 12-28-05, 11:26 PM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

what a great movie- reminds me of "a bridge too far".
Old 12-29-05, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wanna see this! I missed it in the theaters, and it's been on the top of my Netflix queue since it's DVD release. Problem is, there's a "Long Wait" in my area, so they keep shipping me old movies. . Soon... Soon...
Old 12-29-05, 06:00 PM
Suspended pending providing a working email address

this movie sucked hardcore.