Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Frank Darabont of Shawshank Redemtion and Green Mile, to direct McCammon's "MINE"

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Frank Darabont of Shawshank Redemtion and Green Mile, to direct McCammon's "MINE"

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-05, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome. Just saw this bit over at www.robertmccammon.com.

Originally posted by webmaster Hunter Goatley at www.robertmccammon.com...
Frank Darabont sent me an update on the status of his adaptation of Robert McCammon's 1990 novel, MINE:

"I came close to getting MINE into production this year, but it was a near-miss. For those who may not know, getting a movie greenlit for production is like having the planets align---countless factors all have to come together at the right moment for anything to happen. I remain committed to making MINE, and am currently in a search for the actresses to play the lead roles of Laura and Mary. I'm hoping to get the movie before the cameras at some point in 2006, although it might be later that year rather than earlier. That's because circumstance and opportunity (the planets aligning) might dictate that I direct my adaptation of Stephen King's great horror novella, The Mist, first. If so, I will likely start shooting The Mist this coming December, '05."

--Frank Darabont, 08/03/05
And King's 'The Mist' as well? Woo hoo!

I didn't know about these at all, and with Darabont's track record with such material, I'm super stoked.

Last edited by Mutley Hyde; 08-04-05 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-04-05, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMDB: Darabont is set to do the Fahrenheit 451 remake. Meh.

-JP
Old 08-04-05, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, saw that to and had a similar reaction.

Still, that doesn't take away from my hope for this particular project. I think Shawshank and Green Mile were both very well done, so I'm confident in this one.

Last edited by Mutley Hyde; 08-04-05 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-04-05, 02:01 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
He also did The Majestic, so his track record isn't exactly spotless.

What's MINE about (without big spoilers, please)?
Old 08-04-05, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mutley Hyde
Still, that doesn't take away from my hope for this particular project. I think Shawshank and Green Mile were both very well done, so I'm confident in this one.
Agreed.

-JP
Old 08-04-05, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
He also did The Majestic, so his track record isn't exactly spotless.

What's MINE about (without big spoilers, please)?
I didn't mention The Majestic for a reason.

As for MINE, I haven't read it myself yet, but I've enjoyed several of McCammon's other works, and the premise of MINE looks good to me.

From the website mentioned above...
With over five million copies of his work in print, Robert R. McCammon has earned the reputation as one of the most innovative storytellers of our time. His New York Times bestselling novels, Swan Song, Stinger, and The Wolf's Hour, explore fantastic landscapes and the hearts and minds of those who inhabit them. Now his dramatic new creation, MINE, rivals Thomas Harris's The SIlence of the Lambs for sheer, riveting storytelling power. It is a novel of psychological terror and unrelenting suspense set against the backdrop of America today.

Laura Clayborne is a successful journalist, the wife of a stockbroker with her own BMW and a house in the right Atlanta suburb. Her biological clock ticking down, her marriage foundering, Laura hopes that her newborn son, David, will make her life everything it ought to be.

Mary Terrell, aka Mary Terror, is a scarred and battered survivor of the radical '60s. Once a member of the fanatical Storm Front Brigade, Mary now lives in a hallucinatory world of memories, guns, and above all, murderous rage. Prompted by a personals ad in Rolling Stone, she becomes convinced that the former leader of the Brigade, the man she knows as Lord Jack, is commanding her to bring him the child she was carrying when her life and the lives of the other Storm Front radicals exploded in a bloody shootout with the FBI.

Mary Terror steals Laura's baby from a hospital room, and heads west on her journey of the damned: clutching an innocent child to her side, killing anyone who gets in her way, searching for Lord Jack. Stunned, weakened, Laura realizes that the woman who stole her baby is getting away with it, and sets out to hunt her down. What Laura doesn't know is that the closer she gets to Mary Terror the more she will have to learn to think and act like her---even to kill like her....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--From the back cover of the Pocket Books Advance Reading Copy of MINE, first published in May 1990.
Old 08-04-05, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great news. I always wondered when one of his books would be picked up as a movie. Although "Swan Song" (i.e. The Stand) and "They Thirst" (i.e. 'Salems Lot) are direct and unabashed Stephen King rip offs his book "Wolf's Hour" would make a kick ass supernatural action movie. "The Night Boat" would also make a great horror movie if handled right.
As one of my favorite short stories of all time "The Blue World" should also be optioned.