Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Save Our Firecrotch! (funny MPAA rating news)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-05, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apparently, The Woods is another PG-13 horror film coming out soon.

What's funny, is that it's having trouble getting that PG-13 due to the use of the word "Firecrotch" as a nickname for the main character (who is a redhead).

More news here:

I don't know if anybody knows about this movie, but I always love reading that wacky MPAA logic, so I thought others might too.
Old 08-04-05, 09:50 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
oh brother, the rating's board really need to lighten up,
Old 08-04-05, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you wanna hear about MPAA rating stupidity listen to the "Bring it On" commentary.

Just saying the phrase "give head" was going to get that movie an "R" rating.
Old 08-04-05, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
oh brother, the rating's board really need to lighten up,
The ratings board really needs to go away.
Old 08-04-05, 04:58 PM
Banned

The MPAA sure wields a lot of power for a group of people no one knows anything about. There doesn't even seem to be any hard line to their rulings and decisions. Plus, let's be perfectly honest here -- if a smaller film (whether it be studio, director or cast) contained scenes like Kate Winslet's topless in Titanic, or the "brain scene" in Hannibal, that film would've easily gotten an R and an NC-17, respectively, so we know the MPAA grades on a curve. Hell, someone got decapitated in Attack of the Clones, which got a PG.
Old 08-04-05, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by UAIOE
If you wanna hear about MPAA rating stupidity listen to the "Bring it On" commentary.

Just saying the phrase "give head" was going to get that movie an "R" rating.
What?? Are you serious?

GRRRRRRRR.....

Actually, I'm emphatically enjoying watching the success of the 'R' rated "Wedding Crashers" - the right wing conservatives must be livid!! Goes to show how little people actually care about ratings and the MPAA. If a teen wants to sneak into an 'R' with his friends, they're gonna do it. I did it way back when and it's probably even easier now.
Old 08-04-05, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
mmmmmmmmmm firecrotch......
Old 08-05-05, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dan1boy
What?? Are you serious?

GRRRRRRRR.....
I kid you not. The director tells the story about how a single line would have had the movie rated R had he not overdubbed it.

All the character said was something about a cheerleader tryout "giving head" and boom! MPAA said it would be rated R for "implied sexual content" or something.

Its not that important of a line and it doesn't alter the story in any way...but still why up the rating for a single line?
Old 08-05-05, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't see why anyone here gives a care what the MPAA says. I'm betting that 99% of the people on this board are over 17 and can see ANY movie out there so why does it matter what it is rated? I say more power to them. Why should I care if some kid can't see some movie. It'll be on DVD when they get old enough. I'm sure most of you would love to see less kids in R rated movies since you all whine how they distub your viewing of it.

There has to be ratings for movies no matter what someone says. If they had no ratings what would stop some director to do whatever he wants in any film. How would anyone know what allow their kids to see? With the rating system, it does give parents an idea of what is in a movie before taking their kids. Now, they know if they see a R rating, their 5 year old shouldn't see it but something rated G is OK. If they had no ratings what would stop some director to do whatever he wants in any film. They might show some cute cartoon animals in the trailer but then the parent is horrified to find a bunch of nudity in the middle. It would never get by with ratings but without them, anything is fair game. Everyone whines about parents taking resonsibilities and the ratings help parents make a choice.
Old 08-05-05, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by UAIOE
I kid you not. The director tells the story about how a single line would have had the movie rated R had he not overdubbed it.
Actually, I thought it was another of director's fake anecdotes in the commentary (there seem to be several tossed in). As far as I can tell, this scene is not dubbed in the movie.
Old 08-05-05, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I must have missed the advertised "funny" in this thread/article.
Old 08-05-05, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by spiderx
Actually, I thought it was another of director's fake anecdotes in the commentary (there seem to be several tossed in). As far as I can tell, this scene is not dubbed in the movie.
The guy says "tounge" instead of "head"...and i could of swore it was just overdubbed.

Maybe the line was changed completely, it's been awhile since i last watched the movie.
Old 08-05-05, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
I must have missed the advertised "funny" in this thread/article.
Wrong funny. Not ha-ha funny, hmmm funny. Like, "something smells funny".

As far as I know, the first ratings dispute over the term "firecrotch", which I feel is about as offensive as all the crude stuff in kids movies now (masterpieces like GoodBurger notwithstanding). Plus, it gave me the opportunity to use the term "firecrotch" in a semi-public setting.

And the MPAA will always be the MPAA, it's a combination of their inconsistency and the studios' current eagerness to cut ANYTHING that will keep them from their preciousssss that's funny.
Old 08-12-05, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Okay the studio has announced that it will be releasing this film on September 16th....

Odd. That gives them no time to put a trailer out and market it. I think this film will tank in theaters, find it's audience on video.

Still unknown what rating it will be released with.
Old 08-12-05, 05:39 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by resinrats
I don't see why anyone here gives a care what the MPAA says. I'm betting that 99% of the people on this board are over 17 and can see ANY movie out there so why does it matter what it is rated? I say more power to them. Why should I care if some kid can't see some movie. It'll be on DVD when they get old enough. I'm sure most of you would love to see less kids in R rated movies since you all whine how they distub your viewing of it.

There has to be ratings for movies no matter what someone says. If they had no ratings what would stop some director to do whatever he wants in any film. How would anyone know what allow their kids to see? With the rating system, it does give parents an idea of what is in a movie before taking their kids. Now, they know if they see a R rating, their 5 year old shouldn't see it but something rated G is OK. If they had no ratings what would stop some director to do whatever he wants in any film. They might show some cute cartoon animals in the trailer but then the parent is horrified to find a bunch of nudity in the middle. It would never get by with ratings but without them, anything is fair game. Everyone whines about parents taking resonsibilities and the ratings help parents make a choice.
as an adult, i want to see adult pictures, with mature themes, and more sophisticated levels of drama and comedy. but studios are following the almighty dollar to make sure that even their horror films are rated no more than PG-13. this affects content and explains why i abandoned mainstream cinema years ago. i just dont watch this shit anymore. in fact, wedding crashers (a welcomed exception) is the first studio picture i've paid to see in a long time.

Last edited by Cygnet74; 08-12-05 at 05:41 PM.