DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Actor's greatest decade? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/431413-actors-greatest-decade.html)

duff beer 07-22-05 03:24 AM

Actor's greatest decade?

Which decade was the best for any actor that had a career spanning more than one decade? Pick the decade only if it's the one that had the most memorable/likable/good movies of that said actor.

A good example is Errol Flynn who's career as an actor spanned from 1933 to 1959, three solid decades. His greatest decade wouldn't be the 50's but the ones in which he was more memorable in, the 30's and 40's. The choice between the two is a real close one but i would edge out the 30's for him.

Bogart had the same three decades as well and his glorious decade is undeniably the 40's. This doesn't mean his movies of the 50's weren't good, African Queen, Caine Mutiny, Sabrina all great and the 30's in which he rose up in gangster movies and tough roles in smaller parts might be someone elses picks but he starred in his most memorable films of the 40's, High Sierra, The Maltese Falcon, Casablanca, To Have and Have Not, The Big Sleep, Dark Passage, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Key Largo, not to mention every other movie and war flick, he started strong and ended strong this being his crown jewel.

Stewart had an extremely large range of decades, from the 30's to the very 80's but the one where he was king was undisputably the 1950's. Like Bogart he started strong and ended strong. Winchester '73, Broken Arrow, Harvey, No Highway, Bend of the River, The Naked Spur, The Glenn Miller Story, Rear Window, The Man Who Knew Too Much, The Spirit of St. Louis, Vertigo, Anatomy of a Murder.

Brando's career spans from the 50's to the 90's. And his starting decade was his best like Stewart's, starting and ending strong. The Men, A Streetcar Named Desire, Viva Zapata!, Julius Caesar, The Wild One, On the Waterfront, Guys and Dolls, The Teahouse of the August Moon, Sayonara, The Young Lions.

Cary Grant's ranges from 30' to 60's and the one where the most of his memorable movies are the 40's. Even though the 50's are a very close second with powerhouses like North by Northwest and many others.

Seon Connery has numerous strong contending decades but one that still pulls to the top and would be recognized is the 60's, not only for his Bond series but for the movies he managed to fit between each Bond securing this decade as his finest no other decade has been able to match.

Harrison Ford's decades are all strong, each one having their own group of movies that may be regarded great but one simply is his best out the others having an unmatched plethora of fine cinema and that is the 80's.

Lon Chaney's career spans from the 1910's to 1930 and his crowning decade is the 1920's. Countless great performances and movies.

Buttmunker 07-22-05 08:17 AM

For sure, the 70's was both Robert DeNiro and Al Pacino's decade. Both got strings of Oscar nominations for films that still stand big today.

DeNiro
1973 - Bang The Drum Slowly
1973 - Mean Streets
1974 - The Godfather, Part II (Oscar Win)
1976 - Taxi Driver (Oscar nom)
1978 - The Deer Hunter (Oscar nom)

Pacino
1972 - The Godfather (Oscar nom)
1973 - Serpico (Oscar nom)
1974 - The Godfather, Part II (oscar nom)
1975 - Dog Day Afternoon (Oscar nom)
1979 - And Justice For All (Oscar nom)

Beautiful.

Randy Miller III 07-22-05 08:21 AM

Toshiro Mifune <u>owned</u> the 1950's (<i>Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, Rashomon, Samurai I-III, Throne of Blood, The Lower Depths, I Live in Fear</i>, etc.).

duff beer 07-22-05 07:46 PM

Arnold Schwarzenneger 80's
Conan the Barbarian, Red Sonja, The Terminator, Raw Deal, Predator, The Running Man, Red Heat, Twins

whoopdido 07-23-05 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by duff beer
Arnold Schwarzenneger 80's
Conan the Barbarian, Red Sonja, The Terminator, Raw Deal, Predator, The Running Man, Red Heat, Twins

You forgot Commando.

PopcornTreeCt 07-23-05 12:37 AM

Tom Hanks - 90's.

duff beer 07-23-05 01:31 AM

Peter Sellers - 60's

RagingBull80 07-23-05 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by whoopdido
You forgot Commando.

You totally can't forget that one...It's definately one of my favorite Schwarzenneger movies.

I used to wear that tape out when I was little!

popest 07-23-05 01:06 PM

Burt Lancaster....1950's...........yada yada

Sunday Morning 07-23-05 10:45 PM

jennifer love hewitt ...1990's

duff beer 07-23-05 10:53 PM

John Wayne- 40's or 50's

Wompratz 07-24-05 09:09 AM

Steve Guttenberg - 1980's

;)