Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Say it isn't so.......Spielberg to do an ET sequel?????

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Say it isn't so.......Spielberg to do an ET sequel?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-05, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by calhoun07
If he wants to do another ET movie, how about doing Skizz instead, should Alan Moore let another Hollywood director tackle another one of his works after the horrendous job done on V for Vendetta. Skizz was ET before ET came to the theaters!

How do you it'll be horrendous even before it's released?
Old 07-18-05, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Krug
Where've you been? People on the internet don't need to see the movie (hell we don't even need to see footage!) to be able to judge a movie. Sheesh! I thought everyone knew that
Old 07-18-05, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Krug
Alan Moore has just been ripping it apart, and has severed all ties with Warner Brothers. He commented on the script and said it has so many plot holes that writers of a popular British kid's comic book from the 60's couldn't get away with.

It might be good, maybe Alan Moore is being too critical, but being somebody creative myself, I can really feel where he is coming from. His artist on V for Vendetta, David Lloyd, on the other hand, has a lot of good stuff to say about the movie. We will see, I guess, but I would lean towards trusting the opinion of the original creator. I will see it either way, actually.

What I feel sorry about for Alan Moore is how the rights of his works belong to somebody else. I'd love to see an Alan Moore approved movie, much like how Frank Miller approved of Sin City.
Old 07-18-05, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Well you can blame Alan Moore for that. He's the one that chose not to have so much as a royalty check for any films based on his work after the whole The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen lawsuit. And, before that, he didn't really seem to care what was done with his works anyway. He'll keep on writing great comic book stories and people will keep on making films that are based on them in concept only.

As for V, who knows. I haven't seen anything beyond what Natalie Portman looked like after she shaved her head and that tells me nothing about the film itself. I'll wait and see.
Old 07-18-05, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does Drew have to work as a stripper to support her family? Does E.T. come down to help her find her true path? Hell, the script practically writes itself... I'll be first in line.
Old 07-18-05, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Well you can blame Alan Moore for that. He's the one that chose not to have so much as a royalty check for any films based on his work after the whole The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen lawsuit. And, before that, he didn't really seem to care what was done with his works anyway. He'll keep on writing great comic book stories and people will keep on making films that are based on them in concept only.

As for V, who knows. I haven't seen anything beyond what Natalie Portman looked like after she shaved her head and that tells me nothing about the film itself. I'll wait and see.
Alan Moore must be trying to have some involvement, I would guess. He was commenting on the script. His comments on the movie are found in the new issue of Dreamwatch magazine. But I am with you and I will wait and see. From Hell, for example, wasn't as good as the graphic novel, but I thought was a good movie still. With just about any comic book DVD movie I don't necessarilly expect faithful adaptations, and am willing to take the movie for what it is. If the movie works for me as a movie, I am not going to be critical. I seriously am not expecting the movie to contain all the material from the comic book mini series. If they were interested in doing that detailed of an adaptation, then they would have done it for TV, maybe HBO.
Old 07-18-05, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by joshd2012
Well, he already ruined the first one when he put it on DVD. I can see him doing a sequel - he has no shame.

This makes no goddamn sense since he also put the original on DVD.
Old 07-18-05, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Alan Moore complained about the most minute details. Let filmmakers make films and comic book writers make comic books.
Old 07-20-05, 11:43 AM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
I like the South Park episode where there was a special edition of Saving Private Ryan where the guns were replaced with walkie talkies.
Old 07-20-05, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

e.t. 2: the revenge
Old 07-20-05, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Lara Means
This makes no goddamn sense since he also put the original on DVD.
AGREED.
Old 07-21-05, 12:48 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can't see it happening, also why the hell would ET come back, to get more M&M's?
Old 07-21-05, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe E.T. is coming back for the newer, peanut butter M&M's.
Old 07-21-05, 02:22 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
It's Drew, not Steven, that wants a sequel...and apparently Steven is considering it:

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlf...%20et%20sequel

But I doubt seriously if Steven will do it...
Note that the link says that Drew's character is named Gertie Elliott, which I guess means that Henry Thomas's character was named Elliott Elliott.

If they do wind up doing a sequel, I hope there's a role for Sarah Chalke.
Old 07-21-05, 02:27 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
If he wants to do another ET movie, how about doing Skizz instead, should Alan Moore let another Hollywood director tackle another one of his works after the horrendous job done on V for Vendetta. Skizz was ET before ET came to the theaters!
Skizz is great, but it is explicitly Alan Moore's take on Spielberg's E.T. In other words, E.T. came first.
Old 07-21-05, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Exclusive first pic!!

"Heartlight: ET in Love"

Old 07-21-05, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JasonF
Skizz is great, but it is explicitly Alan Moore's take on Spielberg's E.T. In other words, E.T. came first.
Skizz came first, actuall. I don't believe the entire series was completed by the time ET came out, but Skizz certainly did come first. I could look for my book and quote where Alan Moore writes about how after the series made it's debut in comics, ET came out shortly thereafter, but I really don't care that much.

And for those who said ET ate M&Ms...he ate Reece's Pieces.

Maybe ET will come back for the new ones with peanuts inside!
Old 07-23-05, 02:17 AM

The old script, or at least the treatment, was posted on the net years ago. Never could tell if it was legit or not, but it said this was the plan for the sequel about a year after it was released.

It was really dark, compared to ET, mostly about the ETs (the bad ones I guess) come to Earth and kidnap the original kids and do experiments and stuff. So it was really just a role reversal. (Like the Rush Hour 1 and 2 hah)

Never got off the ground because of the content or just lack of interest. There must be some site that still has the original text. It was an interesting read.
Old 07-23-05, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

E.T. 2: This Time it's Personal.
Old 07-23-05, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ROBERTCOP34
He needs get on that INDY 4 Harrison Ford is almost to old for the role anymore so PLEASE GET THIS DONE,NOW............
No, he doesn't. Ford is 63 years old at this point. They've wasted too much time talking about it rather than doing it and now the man is too old.
Old 07-23-05, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
And for those who said ET ate M&Ms...he ate Reece's Pieces.
What's funny is Spielberg & Co. asked M&M's maker if they could use them in the movie. They got turned down, so they went to Reece's instead. Then when the movie was a huge hit, the sales of Reece's Pieces skyrocketed.

(I assume whomever made the decision to turn Spielberg down soon "involuntarily" left the company to "pursue other opportunities" )