Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Murderball

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-05, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Murderball

Anybody see this? I just saw it, and it's one of the best docs I've ever seen. Seriously unbelievable. I also haven't heard a bad thing about it. Check out rottentomatoes: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/murderball/. That's pretty unprecedented. I don't understand why no one is going to see it.

The documentary itself was all that anyone could have asked for. It goes beyond the regular doc stuff and actually has a narrative that is better than anything that anyone could have written - but it's all real. Very funny, poignant, entertaining, and most of all, uplifting. You'd think that it would be depressing, but I had a smile across my face almost the whole time (I did cry once, but they were tears of joy), and I left the theater feeling so much better about myself and everything really.

Anyone else see this? Plan to? Would love to hear your thoughts.

This movie is an absolute MUST SEE.

Dan
Old 07-16-05, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i saw a short piece on this on some show weeks ago and it looked interesting enough. I then saw a review in Entertainment weekly a few days ago...I imagine this will do alright. I'll see it when it comes around.
Old 07-16-05, 11:34 AM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
I can't wait to see this film!!
Old 07-16-05, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
I've seen a couple of previews and viewed the trailer, looks pretty damn good and I will be checking this one out.
Old 07-16-05, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Ebert & Roeper gave it 2 thumbs up. Not that I go by them.

Anyway, it did look wild when I saw the trailer.
Old 07-16-05, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I love docs and see no reason why this one shouldn't kick some wheel. Definitely on my watch list.
Old 07-16-05, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, want to go see this...We went and watched March of the Penguins last night while waiting to go get HP, but this is the doc on my list I really want to see.
Old 07-21-05, 01:36 PM

I saw the movie last night in New York, and it is so AWESOME. These guys are people I wouldn't fuck with, and they're in wheelchairs! Seriously. Zupan's a badass.

And on top of that, it's really moving. It sounds sort of sappy to hear, I'm sure. But to see how far these guys have come is truly inspiring.

Awesome movie though. Definitely something everyone should see. One of the best docs ever.

-Max
Old 07-21-05, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts
Real Sports on HBO had a segment involving some of the players and one of the coaches a couple of weeks ago. It might even still be available on HBO In Demand.
Old 02-28-06, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
FYI: Those who haven't seen this yet can tonight at 10pm est on A&E.

It isn't just the best documentary of last year, it's the best of the last decade. If it loses to the fucking Penguins on Sunday there simply is not justice.
Old 02-28-06, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As far as I am concerned, Grizzly Man is the best doc of the year, and it wasn't even nominated. This was a good flick though, and well worth watching.
Old 02-28-06, 11:13 PM

Like everyone else so far I really enjoyed this one. I'd feel good about recommending this film to anybody, truly.
Old 03-01-06, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by movieking
As far as I am concerned, Grizzly Man is the best doc of the year, and it wasn't even nominated. This was a good flick though, and well worth watching.

I have to agree with this. There has been some great docs this year, including Murderball and March of the Penguins, but Grizzly Man is one of the best docs I've ever seen.
Old 03-01-06, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by kneijst1
I have to agree with this. There has been some great docs this year, including Murderball and March of the Penguins, but Grizzly Man is one of the best docs I've ever seen.
Perhaps a good documentary, but I just can't swallow giving an award to a documentary about some jackass that, in my opinion, interfered with nature when he should have been observing it.

But back on topic, I have the TiVo set to record Murderball's second airing - it looks very interesting.
Old 03-01-06, 10:42 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Morf
Perhaps a good documentary, but I just can't swallow giving an award to a documentary about some jackass that, in my opinion, interfered with nature when he should have been observing it.

But back on topic, I have the TiVo set to record Murderball's second airing - it looks very interesting.
awarding the documentary and its filmmakers doesn't equate to a rewarding of, or an approval of, its subject. that line of thinking would have kept the godfather films from garnering the awards and acclaim that they did.
Old 03-01-06, 11:39 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts
best docu last year was "Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room" period!
Old 03-02-06, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Murderball will be on A&E again on March 12 at midnight (11c).

http://www.aetv.com/listings/episode...isodeid=147855
“Murderball”
Rated: TVPG L
Running Time: 120 Minutes
Genre: Documentary
Closed Captions: Yes
Upcoming Airings:
Sunday, March 12 @ 12pm/11C
This is a documentary that I'd love to see.
Old 03-02-06, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Cygnet74
awarding the documentary and its filmmakers doesn't equate to a rewarding of, or an approval of, its subject. that line of thinking would have kept the godfather films from garnering the awards and acclaim that they did.
Yes, you are right.
Old 03-02-06, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by movieking
While i agree that Grizzly man was good...it isn't a "Great" documentary: Herzog's footage is all handed to him and he edits it together and does a voiceover. is it fascinating? sure....but Murderball transcends it in terms of filmmaking and the profound way it humanizes the subjects in a way rarely seen in documentary film making. Everything about it is amazing.
Old 03-02-06, 07:18 PM

Being in a wheelchair myself it really hit home with me, and the messege rings true dont fuck with people in wheelchairs! haha. It truly was an awesome movie, Im now trying to find out if we could set up a murderball team in my city. It would be a lot of fun!
Old 03-03-06, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
It's an excellent documentary. Never once did I even bother to feel sorry for any of them (and I wasn't looking to either) because of how caught up I was in their lives and I'm so glad I walked away with actually feeling like a loser because these guys do more in a wheelchair then I do with two fully capable lazy ass legs.

The picture just proves there are no boundries and yeah, while it's obvious they can't do a lot of normal everyday things, the movie itself just says "fuck it, we'll find another way". Loved it and I would love to hang out and have a beer with some of those dudes.