Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Charlie & The Chocolate Factory Review Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Charlie & The Chocolate Factory Review Thread

Old 07-17-05, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts
Originally Posted by Texasgingersnap
Perhaps because people are not training their children to respect others in public......those are the kids that, once finished eating, are allowed to run wild in restaurants, etc., to hell with the other diners peace and quiet. Then there's the adults who talk so loudly into their cell phones EVERYWHERE that you are privy to ALL their business whether you want to or not. I've been known to leave the theater and ask the manger to either quiet down the annoyances or refund my dough-ray-me....
Oh, the irony of that occurring in this particular movie . . .
Old 07-17-05, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
WTF was up with Mike TeeVee's dad's twirled combover?
Old 07-17-05, 01:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brtcmfn
I totaly agree on your point here- It is a minor flaw that I noticed right away- It seemed kind of rushed for him to find the $10 and buy a chocolate bar and the store clerk did not give him any change?- the 5th ticket was never mentioned previous to him going into the store and then it appears as a headline?- In the original version this scene gets the thumbs up instead- The other flaw I saw was the sarcastic remarks of Gene Wilder were top notch- The parents in the original were much better for example Roy Kinear is an English actor and did a great job playing Veruca's father in the original-The new version the father had no substance and there was no chemistry. It was kind of lacking in this version- but overall I enjoyed it- and will always like the original
I searched my DVR for Gene Wilder- and it should be interesting what he thinks of this version he will be on Conan this Tues night.
I'm pretty sure it was mentioned that a kid in Russia had won the 5th ticket. I think it was when Charlie picked up the newspaper out of the thrash can.
Old 07-17-05, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by mee2
I'm pretty sure it was mentioned that a kid in Russia had won the 5th ticket. I think it was when Charlie picked up the newspaper out of the thrash can.
before he finds the money, 2 people walking by mention a kid in russia found the ticket. in the candy store before charlie buys the candy, someone mentions that the russian kid had a fake one.
Old 07-17-05, 05:21 AM
Banned

I liked it, but not better than the 1971 version.
The oompa loompas dance numbers could have been better, you can't understand what they are saying like the 1971 version.
Depp was good.
The ending good , but not better than the original.
The original had more of a tear-jerker feel to it.
Something that today's generation may not understand.
Old 07-17-05, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I liked it so much more than the original, which I love.
I think both films reached the same level of charm, but the new one trumps on just about every other level.
"Charlie" was more magical, more emotional, better looking, and better acted.
"Wonka" only really has the creepy boat scene over the new one.
The Wonkas are so different it is very hard to compare, but my preference (surprisingly) falls to Depp.
I was also surprised how much more I liked the new Oompa Loompas. Their dance numbers were amazing.
The CGI also worked really well in this film, the cartooniness it had was perfect.
I really enjoyed the backstory Grandpa Joe told about Willy Wonka. It was so cool to see the progression of the business and why he shut the factory down.
I was very hesitant about Wonka's flashbacks to his childhood, but they worked very well, and were actually important to plot as well as development for his character. Plus I thought it was funny how aware the film was of them, aswell as a lot of other things. Like when the guests called Wonka out on the Oompa Loompa songs.
Old 07-17-05, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I also enjoyed this one more. However, I don't feel this one "replaced" the 1971 version. Both have a lot to offer.
Old 07-17-05, 09:55 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowlarbear
before he finds the money, 2 people walking by mention a kid in russia found the ticket. in the candy store before charlie buys the candy, someone mentions that the russian kid had a fake one.

True, But in this version it was rushed, there was some progression on the fake ticket in the 1st version.
Old 07-17-05, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll be taking these with me to the theater because they're damn_good.

http://www.candygiant.com/king/Wonka-Bar.html
Old 07-17-05, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts
Those Wonka bars are delish!!

Saw it. Let me say that all liked about the Gene Wilder version was, well, Gene Wilder, so in every other aspect I give this one a . I'm not knocking Johnny Depp, I like him and he did a good job, but the power of the first Willy Wonka was in Wilder's subtle performance and delivery. Depp was over the top, but he was doing the same thing he always does, so I can't really knock him for putting his unique spin on the role. I was also a bit worried that the PG rating would kind of hinder Tim Burton's style, but I was way wrong on that point. Next to Sleepy Hollow, this is probably Tim Burton's greatest visual accomplishment, and if you're fan of his work, you won't walk away dissatisfied. In fact, you almost have to be a fan of his other stuff to fully enjoy it. My only real gripe
Spoiler:
finding out at the end that the children were all safe, albeit in a weird way. What made the original more creepy was that you never really knew what happened to them, you just had to take Willy Wonka's word for it.
Overall, a very enjoyable, and must see theater experience, I give it *** 1/2 out of four.

Is the IMAX version of this in 3-D? If so, I might have to catch it next week.
Old 07-17-05, 04:41 PM

I caught the film this afternoon. I really enjoyed it, but nowhere near as much as I enjoyed the original.
Johnny Depp was really good, but I still prefer Gene Wilder's Wonka.
Where did Depp get his inspiration for the Wonka character? I felt he had the voice of Carol Channing going on.
I was also not a big fan of Deep Roy's Oompa Loompas. The songs sounded awful.
And finally, the ending was a bit of a stretch. I wanted the ending from the book.
Oh well, all in all I really enjoyed the film.
Now bring on "Charlie and the Glass Elevator"!
Old 07-17-05, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I actually liked the Oompa Loompas in this one, and the actual voices in the songs were from Danny Elfman (formerly of Oingo Boingo). Granted, the songs in the older version were a bit more creepy, but I never really dug the green hair and red faces look. These Oompa Loompas seemed legititmately threatening...
Old 07-17-05, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I guess I'm going to go against the flow here and say I didn't really like it. I'm a huge fan of the original and as I suspected Depp couldn't hold Gene Wilder's Velvet Coat. What was with the wacky voice? it sounded like he sucked on a bottle of helium. Other gripes:
-Too many pop culture references that took you out of "Wonka's World" (e.g. Oprah,
Cutsey references to other films (The Fly (Original), 2001, etc...)
-It seemed as though there was a big lull before each "bad" kid got in trouble. There was no score to be heard in these scenes which was a departure from the horrible mixing job during the Oompa-loompa songs, where I missed better than half the lyrics.
-The parents of the bad kids weren't "bad" enough, a la the first movie. One caveat: except for Augustus' mother, they didn't seem to care that their kids were being hauled away.

I love Tim Burton but I think my five year old summed it up best: "It looked so good in the trailer. I thought it would be better."
Old 07-17-05, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
My only real gripe
Spoiler:
finding out at the end that the children were all safe, albeit in a weird way. What made the original more creepy was that you never really knew what happened to them, you just had to take Willy Wonka's word for it.

Is the IMAX version of this in 3-D? If so, I might have to catch it next week.
The gripe that you had with Burton's version is my "big" gripe with the original version. Burton's version is similar to that of the outcome of the book's in that regard, however the visual effects could've been a tad bit better....

The IMAX version is not in 3-D. It's standard 2-D fare, but the quality of the print is amazing.
Old 07-17-05, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
The gripe that you had with Burton's version is my "big" gripe with the original version. Burton's version is similar to that of the outcome of the book's in that regard, however the visual effects could've been a tad bit better....

The IMAX version is not in 3-D. It's standard 2-D fare, but the quality of the print is amazing.

In terms of the FX, I guess you mean
Spoiler:
Mike Teavee and Violet Bureagard? Violet did look a tad bit too CG, but I thought Mike looked like a nice homage to JackSkellington from Nightmare Before Christmas.
Old 07-17-05, 06:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by darqleo

One thing that really bothered me was the Charlie finding the Golden Ticket scene. Tim really *****ed up on this. First, Charlie finds $10 in the snow. At this point, all the tickets have been found (remember... the 5th one ended up being a hoax, but it hasn't been revealed as a hoax just yet in the movie) so why does he bother getting a bar of candy with the $10? (And why not 10 of them instead of just 1?) Especially when, as Rachell reminded me during our late lunch, Charlie's always putting his family first before his needs. Heck, he was willing to sell off his ticket to provide for his family for chrissakes, does it make sense that he would go buy chocolate for himself, especially when he had no chance of getting a ticket? No, he would have taken the $10 back home for his family to eat a decent meal for once. IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE I TELLS YA!!! Plus, there was no emotional weight to the ticket reveal, he just busts the bar open and finds it, no dramatic tension whatsoever. Oh and after he finds the ticket THEN it is brought to his attention that the 5th ticket was a hoax by a customer reading the newspaper. Lame.
correct me if i'm wrong, but in the original film, I remember it as charlie sadly walking along and spotting the coin in the sewer, he reaches and grabs it, and decides to go into the candy store to buy a chocolate bar. He buys one of those weird shaped ones (scrum diddly umptious or a sizzler or something) and starts mowing it down......then he decides to get one more for his grampa joe. The candy man suggests an ordinary wonka bar this time. he takes it and starts walking home...then he hears the stir over the fake 5th ticket and decides to open his grandfather's bar and discovers he's got the gold.

haven't seen the new one yet, but i am looking forward to it, if i can convince some friends to go.
Old 07-17-05, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Friends think it's kiddie stuff I take it? Something like this is an easy sale to families, but very difficult for a bunch of young single guys.
Old 07-17-05, 08:23 PM
Banned

I'd imagine most of my friends actually like the story, we all grew up watching the original, its just I'm not sure of their motivation to round up the crew and go plunk down the $10 to see the new one. I plan to see it somehow someway.
Old 07-17-05, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
I HATED this movie

Discalimer: I am not a Tim Burton fan. The only movie I really like that he has done is Ed Wood, and Batman was OK. I guess I don't get him, but in many of his movies I could see why someone would really like it.

On this movie, however I honestly feel it was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. I am not a super-fanboy of the original but I think it is better on every account. This movie has no magic, and actually seemed mean spirited and just creepy. The factory was a mess, and the other kids and parents were dull cariactures. Also, the parents did not seem to really but upset that much when the kids disappeared. I liked nothing about this film really. It also did not go over well with the audience I saw it with. No one laughed and several groups left early. I thought it was laughably dreadful.

Most here seem to like it and it is getting good critical reviews, which just plain baffles me. The worst movies I have paid for this summer.
Old 07-17-05, 09:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MACD23
correct me if i'm wrong, but in the original film, I remember it as charlie sadly walking along and spotting the coin in the sewer, he reaches and grabs it, and decides to go into the candy store to buy a chocolate bar. He buys one of those weird shaped ones (scrum diddly umptious or a sizzler or something) and starts mowing it down......then he decides to get one more for his grampa joe. The candy man suggests an ordinary wonka bar this time. he takes it and starts walking home...then he hears the stir over the fake 5th ticket and decides to open his grandfather's bar and discovers he's got the gold.

haven't seen the new one yet, but i am looking forward to it, if i can convince some friends to go.

That is true- He 1st get's a Wonka Scrumdidelyumtious bar, then a regular Wonka Bar. But remember prior to him going into the store the fake ticket is announced on TV- Which is why when he does get the real 5th ticket- only the small group of people in the store, and Slugworth are the only ones that know he won- His family did not believe him untill he actually shows the ticket. The momentum in the original had a better flow for this scene.
Old 07-17-05, 09:39 PM
Banned

My audience burst into applause when Charlie got the ticket.

Thoroughly enjoyed it, btw.
Old 07-17-05, 09:54 PM
Banned

Also they should have included the CANDY MAN song somewhere in this movie.
Old 07-17-05, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wm lopez
Also they should have included the CANDY MAN song somewhere in this movie.
Yeah, that's a great fucking idea. Let's make it more like the 1971 film and less like the book.

No.
Old 07-17-05, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
My audience burst into applause when Charlie got the ticket.

Thoroughly enjoyed it, btw.
Mine too. They clapped there and had a big clap at the end, which was a little strange but I went along with it. I really enjoyed this movie. If I think about it, I could probably find some flaws, but I would rather not. It was fun, it made me happy, it was amazing to watch, so I am good.
Old 07-17-05, 11:10 PM

#1 for the weekend, hardly surprised:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050717/ap_en_mo/box_office

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.