DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Gladiator II (2024, D: Scott) S: Mescal, Washington, Pascal (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/430295-gladiator-ii-2024-d-scott-s-mescal-washington-pascal.html)

Artman 02-07-24 02:17 AM

re: Gladiator II (2024, D: Scott) S: Mescal, Washington, Pascal

As much as I'd love to see something, it really doesn't make sense with its Nov release. But the Kid Rock promo for the first was perfection!

Troy Stiffler 02-08-24 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Artman (Post 14384794)
As much as I'd love to see something, it really doesn't make sense with its Nov release. But the Kid Rock promo for the first was perfection!

What the!

https://streamable.com/p1qbc?src=player-page-share

It's fun to look back and see stuff like that.

The Matrix and Fifth Element trailers are still the best of trailers, prior to everything being on the internet.

DJariya 02-23-24 01:02 PM

Well, this movie is in trouble after this report came out. Paramount is already massively in the red. Reportedly the shutdowns due to the strikes cost them a lot per day.

Yikes!! The marketplace for "blockbusters" is already pretty fragile. This movie would need to be a blockbuster overseas. The U.S. market isn't enough anymore.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, "Gladiator 2" has a budget close to $310 million, which would put it amongst the most expensive movies ever made, right up there with last year's "Fast X." It was originally given the green light with a budget of $165 million which was, frankly, a sizable figure for a historical epic of this sort in the first place, even considering that it's a sequel to a much-beloved classic. But coming close to doubling that already high figure puts this into clusterf**k territory. For what it's worth, Paramount sources dispute the figure, saying it was under $250 million. But when you're in a position to argue that a $250 million budget is a good thing, it's a dire situation.

Even if we assume that Paramount is relatively thrifty with the marketing, there's no chance of marketing a movie of that size for less than $100 million. That would bring the total investment to around $400 million, give or take. If we use some rule-of-thumb movie math, that means the sequel would have to earn at least $800 million at the global box office just to have a shot at breaking even, roughly speaking, since theaters keep about half the money from ticket sales. That makes this a steep uphill battle.

Read More: https://www.slashfilm.com/1525001/gladiator-2-budget/

GoldenJCJ 02-23-24 01:17 PM

$310 million?! Sweet baby Jesus!

Welp, Hollywood had a good run.

DJariya 02-23-24 01:25 PM

RIP Paramount Pictures

Troy Stiffler 02-23-24 01:35 PM

Yea. But is the movie good? If so, it'll be fine.

RichC2 02-23-24 01:37 PM

Not sure why the movie would be "in trouble" for being so far overbudget, but yeah not good given Paramount's current situation.

Still, as long as there's a decent trailer it will probably make a sizeable chunk back.

DJariya 02-23-24 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 14392059)
Not sure why the movie would be "in trouble" for being so far overbudget, but yeah not good given Paramount's current situation.

Still, as long as there's a decent trailer it will probably make a sizeable chunk back.

The first Gladiator 24 years ago wasn’t even a billion dollar movie

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/title/...ref_=bo_se_r_1

If those figures are accurate, this would literally need to be a billion dollar movie to be “successful”. Sure it’s possible, but unlikely. Or it could bankrupt Paramount. That might be hyperbolic, but given their state.

dex14 02-23-24 01:55 PM

That has less to do with this individual film than it does with the studios taking too long to get deals with the WGA and SAG. The daily cost of what they were losing to hold the sets in Malta was reported months ago. The cost of the stoppage is just something Paramount has to eat.

RichC2 02-23-24 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 14392067)
The first Gladiator 24 years ago wasn’t even a billion dollar movie

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/title/...ref_=bo_se_r_1

If those figures are accurate, this would literally need to be a billion dollar movie to be “successful”. Sure it’s possible, but unlikely. Or it could bankrupt Paramount. That might be hyperbolic, but given their state.

That's fair but times are a little different.

24 years ago there was only one unadjusted $1 billion movie (Titanic), there's now 53, and 43 of those have been released since 2010. Ticket prices have doubled domestically and I'm sure some have gone higher than that overseas.

I don't think it'll be a big money maker for them, but I doubt it'll be the straw that breaks the Redstone's back.

Dr. DVD 02-24-24 08:24 AM

Given that this is the same creative team behind Napoleon, I would wager it's not going to make what it needs. I know that Scott probably had little to do with the ballooning budget due to all of the WGA/SAG related stuff, but his curmudgeonly attitude towards criticism of his work doesn't help. I wouldn't be surprised if this winds up being his last big budget movie.

Artman 02-25-24 11:36 AM

The article admits that Paramount's 250m might indeed be accurate.(which it probably is after incentives, etc) It's not hard to imagine the film was greenlit around 200milliion with the strike delays adding the extra 50m. But "close to 310" gets the headlines and attention.

If you had 200m to invest, which of these recent projects would you put your money on - Killers of the Flower Moon, Napoleon or Gladiator? Criticize the budget all you want, but it's a far easier case to make for this than those others imo. Still a risk, the film is 8-10yrs too late, all of that still applies.

Why So Blu? 02-25-24 12:28 PM

Apple should buy it from Paramount and do what they did with Killers of Flower Moon and Napoleon. Release it in theaters and get as much as they can from box office receipts, then charge to rent it at $19.99/$24.99 then offer the digital 4K for sale, before releasing it for "free" on their service to stream.

dex14 04-06-24 05:26 PM

RocShemp 04-07-24 12:54 PM

Wow. We'll be getting the first trailer on Thursday? It feels like it was only just yesterday this film went into production.

Artman 04-11-24 08:49 PM

Re: Gladiator II (2024, D: Scott) S: Mescal, Washington, Pascal

No trailer, sorry for any disappointment in the thread update. Paramount's presentation today did reveal some new details:
-Gladiator 2 is the current title
-Pescal is not playing Lucius Verus
-Gladiator matches including sharks, monkeys and a rhino

RocShemp 04-11-24 11:44 PM

Re: Gladiator II (2024, D: Scott) S: Mescal, Washington, Pascal

Originally Posted by Artman (Post 14412645)
-Gladiator matches including sharks, monkeys and a rhino

This worries me a little. Not because I doubt Scott can make those sequences look cool, but that, instead of making this flick because he feels there's a story worth telling, Scott is doing this just to film sequences that proved impractical to shoot back in 1999.