Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Descent -- D: Neil Marshall

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-05, 10:20 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

This horror movie is Neil Marshall's (Dog Soldiers) follow-up effort and is getting glowing reviews:

FutureMovies review

AICN blurbs here & here.

Trailer

Have any UK DVDTalkers seen this? Any word on a US release?

Last edited by Geofferson; 07-11-05 at 10:34 AM.
Old 07-11-05, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Hmmm, so how does this connect to the 1st movie? Anyway, I thought the 1st movie was cool but a bit overrated. I think the that "overrating" was mostly due to it being a foreign film. Anyway, at the very least I hope the costume/make-up budget is better in terms of the Werewolf design....
Old 07-11-05, 10:34 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Hmmm, so how does this connect to the 1st movie?
I just meant it as the next film by the director of Dog Soldiers. Perhaps a mod can modify title to say 'from director of Dog Soldiers' or something if they see fit.
Old 07-11-05, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by Geofferson
I just meant it as the next film by the director of Dog Soldiers. Perhaps a mod can modify title to say 'from director of Dog Soldiers' or something if they see fit.

I'm sorry. I was not implying you made a mistake.

I guess I assumed/hoped for a direct follow up to the 1st movie.
Old 07-11-05, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What happened to the horror-flick-on-an-oil-rig Marshall was working on? I thought that was his follow up to Dog Soldiers, but maybe that's his third film -- in which case the Descent is a nice surprise, since I'd forgotten completely about it!
Old 07-12-05, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus
What happened to the horror-flick-on-an-oil-rig Marshall was working on? I thought that was his follow up to Dog Soldiers, but maybe that's his third film -- in which case the Descent is a nice surprise, since I'd forgotten completely about it!
He had that column in either Hotdog or Total Film all about it... anyone got some back issues?
Old 07-12-05, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts
I'm looking forward to seeing this - I had a blast with Dog Soldiers even though it wasn't as good after multiple viewings.

From what the short trailer shows, looks like the decent it going to stay dark the whole through and that's always a good thing
Old 07-12-05, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll definitely want to check this out, even though I wasn't as enthusiastic as some about Dog Soldiers.

(That review linked by the OP calls the new one "a peach of a movie" - hardly how I would expect a genre movie to be described!)
Old 07-12-05, 08:54 PM

There is a Dog Soldiers 2 in the works, it should be out towards the end of 2005 and had been scheduled to film in April-May. They have released some poster art for it already.

The Descent is an altogether different movie. Supposed to be very violent and genuinely scary and the director said it had more gore and was scarier than Dog Soldiers. Lion's Gate is supposed to distribute - Uk release at the end of July.

There are some newsbits for both movies at upcominghorrormovies.com
Old 07-12-05, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm just hoping The Cave doesn't ruin the hype for this film.
Old 07-13-05, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
I'm just hoping The Cave doesn't ruin the hype for this film.

The problem is... they look like the same movie.

For awhile I thought they were and they just changed the title...
Old 07-13-05, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,262 Likes on 840 Posts
'The Descent' - Neil Marshall Q&A

http://www.timeout.com/film/news/522.html
Old 07-29-05, 05:24 AM
Cool New Member

having seen this movie i have to say its an exellent horror film with lots of scare and gore!! I hope you guys get a USA release, best horror i have seen for a long time
Old 07-30-05, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know if I'd say it's the best I've seen in a long time, but I enjoyed it much more than Dog Soldiers, which I thought was highly overrated.
Old 07-30-05, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Like meritocracy above, I was never a big fan of Dog Soldiers (There is no Spoon? Please...) but am looking forward to this.
Old 01-15-06, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I hate to bump such an old thread but I had to after finally seeing this today. I had heard a lot of hype regarding this movie and I've got to say that it pretty much lived up to all of it. The movie had genuine tension and some scary moments. I was surprised by the amount of gore as well. Overall, I'd highly recommend checking this out if you're a horror fan.
Old 01-15-06, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
While I would have liked less frantic editing in some parts near the end, the rest of the movie more than makes up for it. I absolutely love this movie, one of the best horror flicks I've seen in a long time, even if it does borrow heavily from others (yet pulls off almost every scenes better than those it borrowed from).

One of a handful of movies to actually make me jump, and it scared the piss out of my sister.
Old 01-15-06, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by RichC2
One of a handful of movies to actually make me jump, and it scared the piss out of my sister.

There was one scene in particular that scared my wife silly. She nearly jumped out of her skin,lol.
Old 01-15-06, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't like the ending, or some of the editing...but for the most part it was a very effective horror film. It scared the ever-living shit out of me, in any event.

-JP
Old 01-15-06, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just saw this one as well.

I highly recommend this film as it effectively makes the audience feel claustraphobic and a sense of utter hopelessness. Part Alien & part Deliverance, The Descent is one of the better horror films out there that plays our fears in not only what lurks in the dark, but the basic evil instinct that is in humans.
Old 01-16-06, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Great. Another PC-game turned into a movie.
Old 01-16-06, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I picked up the region 2 dvd of this as a blind buy since I enjoyed Dog Soldiers. I liked this one quite a bit but it left me with a bad feeling at the end.
Spoiler:
The thought of the woman being stuck there until she died after going through that hell with the cavemen made me damn depressed
Old 01-18-06, 10:22 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
I didn't like the ending, or some of the editing...but for the most part it was a very effective horror film. It scared the ever-living shit out of me, in any event.

-JP
I didn't mind the ending but I agree the editing got rather spastic at times. I swear I nearly spat my Pad Thai across the room last night at one scene - I jumped around four times - the DTS mix on the Region 2 UK Special edition kicks ass BTW.
Old 01-18-06, 10:28 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by freudguy
I picked up the region 2 dvd of this as a blind buy since I enjoyed Dog Soldiers. I liked this one quite a bit but it left me with a bad feeling at the end.
Spoiler:
The thought of the woman being stuck there until she died after going through that hell with the cavemen made me damn depressed
Spoiler:
I think that was the point, the idea that a horror film shouldn't have a 'happy ending' is a rather ballsy move on the filmmakers part. I thought it was a refreshing different take - a horror film that makes you depressed or 'sad' that no one survives.
Old 01-18-06, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just bought a copy of this and am waiting for it to arrive from my overseas seller. I can't wait to see it. I hadn't heard of it until the name came up in a discussion about Wolf Creek (which i liked, though I know many didn't).

Ron

PS: Thanks to the fellow members who respect the use of covering spoilers.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.