Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

THX 1138 - memo/script coverage dated December 18, 1968

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 07-02-05, 05:12 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the screenplay and a copy of Lucas' six minute short film were sent in by Francis Ford Coppola to Herb Jaffe at UA with this memo:

per the usual studio method, the screenplay was assigned to a reader to write coverage on it. and here is it...

Old 07-02-05, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is why a lot of good films dont get made. THX1138 is a great movie.

D
Old 07-02-05, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
"Deathly boring" is a spot-on overview of the story IMO.

Andrew
Old 07-02-05, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great, great film. Lucas' best, most overlooked film.

This is why a lot of good films dont get made.
Couldn't have said it better myself. It's the same kind of studio mentality that would have tried to kill American Graffiti and Star Wars.

"Deathly boring" is a spot-on overview of the story IMO.
That comes from the producer(or his reader) of such illustrious works as Remote Control, Maid To Order, Dudes, Nightflyers, Fright Night Part 2, Little Treasure, Jinxed, and Motel Hell.

Last edited by Terrell; 07-02-05 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-02-05, 02:23 PM

By the way, thanks for the thread Cygnet. Interesting read!
Old 07-02-05, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Very interesting and I found THX-1138 to be horribly boring as well. THX-1138 made Tarkovsky's Solaris look like a non-stop thrill ride. But whatever, maybe I just don't get it.
Old 07-02-05, 02:54 PM

Very interesting and I found THX-1138 to be horribly boring as well.
Some people do. Nothing wrong with that. Some find the Star Wars trilogy. Others find LOTR boring. Even I'll admit it's not for everyone. But it is widely regarded as a great film, beautifully directed and executed on a shoestring budget. Even so, that's not a mandate that you must like it. It's an abstract piece of filmmaking, done in a simplistic way.

I think 2001 is perhaps the most boring film ever made. But I recognize it as a great film. Truth be told, I found most of Kubrick's films boring, except for a few. The difference between the two being that THX 1138 was buried by the studio and never even given a chance. Certainly wouldn't have have made a killing at the box office, but at least give it a chance.

Derrich is right though. This is the mentality today that keeps a lot of great or interesting films like this from being made.
Old 07-02-05, 02:57 PM

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrell
I think 2001 is perhaps the most boring film ever made. But I recognize it as a great film.
How's that work?
Old 07-02-05, 03:12 PM

How's that work?
Quite an easy concept to grasp! I recognize it as the groundbreaking film it is, and for the impact it had on the industry. I also recognize it as a film that is loved by many. Not to mention it has received great critical acclaim and was nominated for many awards. I can also see the artistry and talent in how the film was made. I just don't particularly like to watch it.

It would be dumb of me to claim 2001 is a terrible film simply because I don't like it. I just don't watch it, nor do I own it in any format.
Old 07-02-05, 03:55 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

i've never considered a great film to be boring. 2001, Solaris, and to some extent THX-1138 all pose compelling philosophical questions (sometimes in a metaphysical context) that keep me intrigued through repeat viewings.

Solaris - Can a man truly reconcile with his irretrievable past, or is he inexorably bound to the guilt and regret of his spiritual longing?

2001 - Can we continue to evolve as spiritual creatures beyond the usefulness of our tools, language, and bodies?

THX1138 - What measure of control over their own lives can human beings relinquish to the state while still retaining enough autonomy to be considered human?

questions like these, and others, provoke me in ways that your more mainstream films do not. you know what films i find boring? the ones where the questions posed amount to little more than: "Will our hero stop the terrorists?", "Will X and Y overcome their eccentricities and fall in love?" and "Who among the cast is the real killer?"

Last edited by Cygnet74; 07-03-05 at 04:36 PM.
Old 07-02-05, 04:41 PM

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Quite an easy concept to grasp! I recognize it as the groundbreaking film it is, and for the impact it had on the industry. I also recognize it as a film that is loved by many. Not to mention it has received great critical acclaim and was nominated for many awards. I can also see the artistry and talent in how the film was made. I just don't particularly like to watch it.

It would be dumb of me to claim 2001 is a terrible film simply because I don't like it. I just don't watch it, nor do I own it in any format.
I don't know, that sounds like "Sacred Cow"-ism to me.
Old 07-02-05, 04:47 PM

I don't know, that sounds like "Sacred Cow"-ism to me.
I don't think so, but whatever you like to call it. Different strokes for different strokes. I can see the artistry and talent in a film, even if I don't particularly like it. You can't. I can see that a film is groundbreaking and has had a tremendous impact, even if I don't like it. You can't. However, the sun will come up tomorrow I'm sure!

Last edited by Terrell; 07-02-05 at 04:50 PM.
Old 07-03-05, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

THX is lousy. That's all I gotta say.
Old 07-03-05, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lara Means
THX is lousy. That's all I gotta say.
Thanks for the intelligent insight and helpful addition to the thread.
Old 07-03-05, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Interesting info. Thanks Cygnet!

I think Speilberg said it well ... 'THX was Lucas' little, quirky art film.' Was it perfect? No. It's engrossing and entertaining.

It's Soderberg's Sex, Lies and Videotape. It's PT Anderson's Hard Eight. It's Reservior Dogs. It's Bad Taste. It said "here I am, I obviously have talent, GIVE ME MONEY TO USE IT".
Old 07-03-05, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

THX 1138 isn't for everyone. But its not supposed to be. It was cheap so it didn't need to bring in tons of cash. More directors should do films like this. Just like a painting, everyone may not like it, but some people will. Every movie doesnt need mass appeal to be a success. But studios think that if it cant bring in 30-100 mil in profit, then it's not worth doing.

D
Old 07-03-05, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Cygnet74
i've never considered a great film to be boring.
I agree. That's why Solaris is a great film and THX-1138 is boring. Seriously though, I like the fact that Lucas did try and do something that was incredibly original. Even though I feel that the movie failed on a few cylinders it was still an admirable try. I will always respect the filmmakers that try and make something different especially if it's sci-fi related.
Old 07-03-05, 06:41 PM

I agree. That's why Solaris is a great film and THX-1138 is boring.
In your own opinion maybe! I guess it depends on your viewpoint, because I think Solaris is far more boring than THX could ever hope to be. So we obviously disagree!
Old 07-04-05, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In your own opinion maybe! I guess it depends on your viewpoint, because I think Solaris is far more boring than THX could ever hope to be. So we obviously disagree!
I agree with Terrell. With that said I liked Solaris, but as far as entertainment goes THX is easily much better paced and has a much higher level of intensity.
Old 07-09-05, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Cygnet74
the screenplay and a copy of Lucas' six minute short film were sent in by Francis Ford Coppola to Herb Jaffe at UA
Interesting to see what the original plot of the feature version of THX 1138 was going to be.
Old 07-09-05, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by FinkPish
Thanks for the intelligent insight and helpful addition to the thread.

What do you want? A 12 page thesis on the subject?

THX sucks.
Old 07-09-05, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mopower
What do you want? A 12 page thesis on the subject?

THX sucks.
My comment on that comment, as well as your own, was that it was an obvious and useless threadcrap that doesn't add anything to the discussion at hand.
Old 07-09-05, 11:37 AM

THX sucks.
Your opinion is that THX sucks. That doesn't mean THX sucks. I could just as easily say your opinion sucks. I'm quite sure you there are films you like that are nothing more than sh*t in my opinion. The difference being those films probably do suck, unlike THX.

My comment on that comment, as well as your own, was that it was an obvious and useless threadcrap that doesn't add anything to the discussion at hand.
Exactly! So unless you have anything to add to the discussion rather than the typical 8th grade thread fart, save it.
Old 07-09-05, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love THX, I love 2001, but I could never get into Solaris...they all have a similar feel...but for whatever reason I have never been able to get into Solaris.

I recognize it as a great film though...I agree that you don't have to like a movie to realize its importance or greatness.
Old 07-09-05, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Your opinion is that THX sucks. That doesn't mean THX sucks. I could just as easily say your opinion sucks. I'm quite sure you there are films you like that are nothing more than sh*t in my opinion. The difference being those films probably do suck, unlike THX.

Exactly! So unless you have anything to add to the discussion rather than the typical 8th grade thread fart, save it.

Ok IMO THX sucks.

I didn't see the disclaimer that only positive comments about the movie were welcome in this thread. Maybe if you only want sunshine to be blown up the ass of THX then the OP should have said that.

See ya bye!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.