Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

BATMAN BEGINS review thread...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

BATMAN BEGINS review thread...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-05, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I have to disagree... somewhat. Elfman created a wonderful "theme" to Batman, but that is where it ends. The other 60+ minutes of score are indistinguishable from every other film he has done. Elfman is a one trick pony to me, rehashing the same music/themes every time out.
I might agree with you if it wasn't for his beautiful work on Batman Returns. There's barely a moment without his strings and chorus, and it's all good. Different themes for different characters, and a beautiful operatic style.
Old 06-28-05, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
The score that Elfman did for the 2 Burton movies was a perfect fit for those movies. I can't see how that type of a score would have worked for Batman Begins though.
Old 06-28-05, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's a neat article on the Batmobile if anyone wants to check it out:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/AUTOS/funonw...ile/index.html
Old 06-28-05, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by Cartload
The score that Elfman did for the 2 Burton movies was a perfect fit for those movies. I can't see how that type of a score would have worked for Batman Begins though.

Agreed. The Elfman score was lighter than the atmosphere of "Begins".
Old 06-28-05, 03:17 PM
Cool New Member

I wish that batman would stop telling all of his women his "secret" identity in every movie. Hopefully katy cruise is in the next movie and the joker kills her in a very horrible way. thus screwing up batman even more and he will stop telling his damn secret identity in every movie.
Old 06-28-05, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I stopped reading the review (and the thread)on the first page when the "author" confused M and Q from the Bond movies.

I loved the movie, and actually want to see it again in the theater, which is something that I haven't done since Pulp Fiction.
Old 06-28-05, 04:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by grunter
Next time, maybe they should consider hiring an honest-to-God art direction department.
So now if a movie achieves subtle palettes and compositions it doesn't have good art direction?

Good art direction means the film has to look like Willy Wonka or Lemony Snickets? IMO exactly the wrong look for an action, psychologically driven crusader story, (which the '89 one wasn't anyway, so I guess who cares) that actually does achieve some real impact and feeling.

The two camps will always disagree, but in any case your camp got their camp back then. Mine has waited a loooonnggg time for the Neal Adams/Frank Miller style to even get this close to being realized. A long, long time.

I least you guys can throw in your Batman DVD anytime. I have to go back to the theater or I have to wait again!

Anyway, I just realized that I shouldn't begrudge the Burtonites griping. I've been griping openly since '89. Now that this has been made, I feel WB has somehow finally atoned. I feel the need to gripe abating...

Last edited by Kudama; 06-28-05 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-29-05, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Random Boxoffice Update:

Movie is up to $130m USD, $215m worldwide, and holding up well.
Old 06-29-05, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Excellent news!

My only wish is that Warner Bros. would include a DTS track on the DVD release (fat chance, I know). Remember when Warner Bros. used to have full-rate DTS tracks on their DVDs?

Anyhoo, is there any more sequel talk beyond potential Joker casting?
Old 06-30-05, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I saw this film for a 3rd time in the theaters, and it continues to impress me, especially with the pacing and the plausibility of Batman in an everyday world, as long as you have deep pockets like Bruce Wayne does.

The soundtrack is pretty much pitch-perfect for the mood that Nolan is trying to evoke at crucial scenes.

People clapped at the end of the film (and this being the start of its 3rd week in the theaters) and that surprised me, but then I overheard someone say "Amazing, that was the best film I've seen in a long time." At least the word of mouth for this film will be good (and I'm guessing the WOM will be better than "War of the Worlds").
Old 06-30-05, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Glad to hear it. I've only seen it twice but I'm lloking forward to a third. I can't wait for the DVD, though.
Old 07-01-05, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I'm thinking of going for the third time this weekend - and I hope to take my wife. I think she would really like this one. I know she'll love the Batmobile.

I'm surprised that some people are still bitching about the score. It was mood music that fit the darkness of the movie perfectly. It didn't take your attention away from the movie itself - it just subtly added to the atmosphere of the thing.
Old 07-01-05, 02:17 PM

Wow, thinkin' about a third viewing as well.
Old 07-01-05, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by B.A.

I'm surprised that some people are still bitching about the score. It was mood music that fit the darkness of the movie perfectly. It didn't take your attention away from the movie itself - it just subtly added to the atmosphere of the thing.

That's what I was thinking.
Old 07-01-05, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm thinking of going for the third time this weekend - and I hope to take my wife. I think she would really like this one. I know she'll love the Batmobile.

I don't think there's really "bitching" about the score. I think it fit great with the movie as well, but since this film is going to be compared to Burton's Batman time and time again, which did feature a recognizable theme, it would naturally be brought up.
Old 07-01-05, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I actually love the score. And there are a few themes throughout and all are recognizable (my favourite being "Corynorhinus" which is the Wayne Family theme, most prominently heard during the first appearance of the train and during the funeral). The problem is that you can't hum to them, unlike Elfman's score. Both scores are great and fit their respective films perfectly. I don't think Elfman's score would have fit this film at all, just as I believe that Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howards' score would not have fit with Burton's Bat-films.
Old 07-01-05, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My friend and I both agree - This film kicked ass!
Old 07-01-05, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I enjoyed the film. I bought a ticket for BB with the intention of leaving 30 minutes into it to catch The new Star Wars film. BB started @ 6:15 SW started @ 6:45.

I never left my seat.

As for the casting of the Joker in a sequel, I'm not sure his acting ability would carry him, but Barry Pepper has the angular facial features that could prove to be a frightening Joker.

Here are a couple of pics of him:

This pic could not be linked directly, so here's a link to the "evil" face (I had to do a google search, so click on the pic @ the top, next to Google):
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...LD:en%26sa%3DN

Sonic

Last edited by Sonicflood; 07-01-05 at 10:41 PM.
Old 07-02-05, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, for a slightly different perspective than most of the posters here, I'll throw in a comment from the casual crowd.

I'm not really a comic book fan at all - I still haven't seen Spiderman 2, and I had absolutely no interest in seeing Batman Begins until I started hearing the positive buzz. Even then, I figured it was hyped so much that I would be slightly dissapointed. However, this is a GREAT film, comic book connection or not. This is the kind of flick that will have some legs I think- the kind that everyone can recommend to anyone. I'll even be recommending this one to my parents.
Old 07-03-05, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just got back from seeing it, and this movie was awesome. Definitely way better than the first two Batman movies (and obviously blew away the last two stinkers).
Old 07-03-05, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonicflood
but Brian Pepper has the angular facial features that could prove to be a frightening Joker.
Fixed!
Old 07-04-05, 12:26 AM
Suspended

Finally got to see it tonight, in Imax! It was awesome, so many great actors in great roles.

They just better not screw up the sequel by hiring a gay guy to put nipples on the batsuit again Since it will obviously feature the Joker, I hope they go with something like the Killing Joke storyline.. one of my all time favorites from back when i was a comic book geek.
Old 07-04-05, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't get it, the score sounded fine to me. Hell I love track 10 of the soundtrack.
Old 07-04-05, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This was something amusing regarding the score's track listing that was noted by a reviewer on Amazon.com:

1. Vespertilio
2. Eptesicus
3. Myotis
4. Barbastella
5. Artibeus
6. Tadarida
7. Macrotus
8. Antrozous
9. Nycteris
10. Molossus
11. Corynorhinus
12. Lasiurus

I just wonder if there's any significance to the remaining letters (VEMMCL).
Old 07-04-05, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
Oh my God, this is one of my favorite movies ever. Not just one of my favorite comic book flicks (this IS my favorite film of that type), but just one of my favorite films ever, out of any type of films.

I don't want to get into specifics, but I'll mention two moments (which were really just lines) that made me want to stand up and just scream "Holy God this is KICKASS!":

Spoiler:
Batman: "Tell me, where is the other have of the shipment?"
Guy (I forget his name): "I have no idea, I swear to God!"
Batman: "SWEAR TO ME!!!!"

Ducard: "Go ahead, do it..."
Batman: "I'm not going to kill you...but I don't have to save you."

This was not a comic book movie in my mind, not really. Yes it's based on the characters and the universe, but this one was way more than that. This movie is more along the lines of some sort of psychological thriller/horror than anything else, and it blew me away.

I give Batman a 10/10 rating, for what it's worth.

I can't remember the last time I left a theater feeling this pleased. Christopher Nolan continues to be my favorite most recent new director. This guy is going to go down in film history. I said it after Following and Memento, and I am still saying it. I can't wait to see even more of his projects.
Finally saw this today and this post pretty much sums up my feelings on this movie. Was never a big fan of the previous films and they just got progressively worse, so I bade my time in seeing this, not expecting too much. Now, I can't wait to check this out on IMAX!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.