Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

WAR OF THE WORLDS thread... (merged)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

WAR OF THE WORLDS thread... (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-05, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mopower
That's a pretty cool shot.
Old 07-06-05, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ketamine
I agree this part was a little long. Maybe it can be explained by the fact that it kept seeing things that drew it's attention (moving shoe, rat, etc). Maybe it would have only been there a couple of minutes but each time it's awareness of motion in the basement, it was programed to take a little longer look, or the alien running it looked extra hard since things were moving around down there. I don't know. Ultimately, I think the time was for suspense but it would be nice to have an explanation why it was down there so long.
Right, so maybe this was a probe that was purely motion sensitive. It would pick up on movement then "look" to see what was there. The rats were there, it then focused on the rats, checked them out, didn't see anything else and moved on. Since Tom and crew were scattering and holding still in a position it couldn't get a lock on them if it was a motion detection kind of device as they kept moving and hiding.

And perhaps this was just a rudimentary probe, with more advanced equipment used for other things. They didn't use their best equipment for this search because if they had found the humans they could easily exterminated them anyway.

Ok, I'll buy that. I still have the same overall opinion of the movie, but I'll acquiesce a little on my hatred for that basement scene.
Old 07-06-05, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Problems with the ending arise form the "they had been here a long time ago".
I've been thinking about that. Why would they even bother burying the tripods that long ago? Why not just come down from the sky with them? It's not like the surprise gave them much more of an advantage than they already had. Why didn't they succumb to the bacteria when they were on earth to plant the tripods?

I've thought of several possibilities and this is the best I could come up with. It's obvious that Spielberg has tried to weave aspects of 9/11 and even the holocaust into his version of WotW. One of the biggest shocks of 9/11 was that the terrorists had planned the attack for so long and that the attack originated from within our own transportation system. Prior to 9/11, most people saw war as two armies going head to head against each other. That perception has obviously changed. Having the tripods already hidden in the ground instead of just coming out of the sky is just a reflection of this lesson.

Granted, it serves the allegory but I think it still brings up too many questions and possible story holes.
Old 07-06-05, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by matome
That probe scene reminded me of the opening of Aliens where the salvage crew discover Ripley in the escape pod.
Or the Water tube from The Abyss.
Old 07-07-05, 12:51 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Risen from the depths...
Old 07-07-05, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 07-07-05, 12:53 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by X
Risen from the depths...
Thank you, sir!
Old 07-07-05, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Thank you X.
Old 07-07-05, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks!
Old 07-07-05, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Good call, X. This was a good thread, and one person (sans mods) should have the power to delete all this relevant discussion about the flick.
Old 07-07-05, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thanks!
Old 07-07-05, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
¡Mil gracias, X!

This has quickly become my favourite review thread and it was a huge blow to see it suddenly vanish.

Last edited by RocShemp; 07-07-05 at 03:13 PM.
Old 07-07-05, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

thank you...... now.... back to saying that this movie rocked...
Old 07-07-05, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wouldn't it be funny if Artman decided to delete this thread now?
Old 07-07-05, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by matome
That probe scene reminded me of the opening of Aliens where the salvage crew discover Ripley in the escape pod.
Also (if it hasn't already been mentioned in this or the other WotW thread), it was an homage to the 1953 version
Spoiler:
the probe in the wrecked and isolated house; the appearance of the alien; the axing of the probe to destroy it.

It's been a while since I've watched the '53 version, but another tip of the hat by Spielberg to that version is
Spoiler:
the dying alien's hand coming out of the spaceship at the end.

Also, at the end
Spoiler:
the Boston-based parents of Cruise's ex-wife in the movie are played by the two stars of the '53 version - nice to see (unlike a lot of stars from that era) that they are still around and doing well.
Old 07-08-05, 12:18 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

To those who posted in here and thought their work was deleted, I deeply apologize.

My initial deletion of this thread was not done in childish anger (like many really, really want to believe), but as a response to a request.

Nobody here deserved it. And don't worry, I won't be starting any review threads anymore! Rejoice.
Old 07-08-05, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Booth
Why didn't they succumb to the bacteria when they were on earth to plant the tripods?
I'm sure someone can find the direct text of the Morgan Freeman voiceover, but it mentions how "God hath" created earth and what is on it, and how things changed over thousands of years, including, said bacteria by implication.

Think about how currently pediatricians need to be judicious over use of antibiotics because the diseases they are fighting are becoming more tolerant to this sort of treatment.
Old 07-08-05, 10:15 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
okay... so I finally saw it and I have to say I thought that Spielberg did a great job creating a film about chaos and featuring some pretty cool special effects but when it came to the actors he completely missed the mark.

I thought Cruise was miscast. Dakota and the actor that played the brother were terribly inconsistent.

It wasn't scary as other's had led me to believe.

now when they get to Cruise's wife's house with all the power on and everything, wouldn't it have dawned on them to turn on the TV?

grade:B+ for the special effects (the aliens looked to much like the ones from ID4 though)
acting: D
Old 07-08-05, 05:53 PM

I really enjoyed this movie, typical Speilbergian plotholes but great fun and a real thriller ride.

I hope this isn't a spoiler, I'd call it more of an Easter egg. Anyway, be forwarned.

Sorry if anyone else already posted about this, I did look thru this thread but I may have missed it if someone did.

I know Gene Barry was mentioned, that was a treat.

Speilberg also nods to another sci fi classic from around the the same period as the orginal WOTW. There's a scene where Cruise walks out to to a small hill that has a wood post fence running across it. The set has a cheesy look to it, out of place with the look of the rest of the movie. It jumped right out at me that Speilberg was referencing the hill and the fence in the back yard of the little boy from the original "Invaders from Mars." Anyone who knows that film should remember that hill with the fence. It's too much of a coincidence to not be intentional. It's placed in almost the identical angle on the screen. You may have missed it the first time, if you go back to see WOTW again, look for it.
Old 07-08-05, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles

now when they get to Cruise's wife's house with all the power on and everything, wouldn't it have dawned on them to turn on the TV?

grade:B+ for the special effects (the aliens looked to much like the ones from ID4 though)
acting: D
turned on the tv for what?

i also noticed the fence and was reminded of invaders from mars. i said it to my wife. she never saw that one though.
Old 07-09-05, 01:37 AM

Just saw it, and it was great. This one you have to see in theatres. The acting and CGI were both great. I feel like I had more to say but I can't remember it now... My only problem is what happens with Ray's son. 4/5
Old 07-09-05, 09:56 AM

" now when they get to Cruise's wife's house with all the power on and everything, wouldn't it have dawned on them to turn on the TV?

turned on the tv for what?"

If they had just turned on the radio at the end they would have heard the Orson Wells Mercury Theater and realized it was just a bunch of actors putting on a drama. ;-)
Old 07-09-05, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
I guess to see the news of what was going on. But given how stressed out Cruise was and how aloof his kids were whenever something wasn't chasing them, it's no surprise no one turned on the TV.
Old 07-09-05, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the TV remark was a joke people. Like everything seemed so normal in their house they could have been watching the whole invasion on TV.
Old 07-09-05, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Speaking of TV and alien invasion, does anyone remember the WotW TV series from years ago? It started out ok then suddenly revamped and sucked.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.