DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   JAWS question - what's with all the heavy clothing?! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/429349-jaws-question-whats-all-heavy-clothing.html)

Buttmunker 07-05-05 09:50 AM

JAWS question - what's with all the heavy clothing?!

This movie is set for the 4th of July weekend on the East coast (Martha's Vineyard thereabouts) - a week before, and perhaps two weeks after. I notice that a lot of the people in the movie are wearing sweaters!! Who wears sweaters during the hot, humid summer months??

Can anyone explain this?

Charlie Goose 07-05-05 09:52 AM

This question needed its own thread?

Buttmunker 07-05-05 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
This question needed its own thread?

Yes.

deadlax 07-05-05 10:10 AM

Gets pretty cold out on the Cape at night.

stinkeye 07-05-05 10:27 AM

Continuity issue: Most of the movie was filmed out of season, which may have caused the long sleeves.

Groucho 07-05-05 10:34 AM

Ha ha ha. I misread the subject header, and thought this was about JAWAS (in Star Wars).

I had to go back and reread because none of the answers made sense.

:lol:

Mopower 07-05-05 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho
Ha ha ha. I misread the subject header, and thought this was about JAWAS (in Star Wars).

I had to go back and reread because none of the answers made sense.

:lol:

It would be kick ass if Jaws had Jawas. They could have them at the beach and when the shark shows up they all yell "Utini!!!" as they try to run away.

Shannon Nutt 07-05-05 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by stinkeye
Continuity issue: Most of the movie was filmed out of season, which may have caused the long sleeves.

Exactly...if you watch the documentary on the DVD, they mention at least once about having people in the water literally FREEZING during filming.

GoldenJCJ 07-06-05 03:44 PM

Also note none of the trees have leaves

I love this movie but the fact that it was so obviously filmed off season drives me nuts every time I watch it.

a handle 07-08-05 04:35 AM

I was fishing 20 miles from the Vinyard on July 2 this year and just about everyone 40 or so people on the boat had sweatshirts and long pants on all day. Can be cool up in the Artic Tundra!!!

Mr. Salty 07-08-05 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Also note none of the trees have leaves

I love this movie but the fact that it was so obviously filmed off season drives me nuts every time I watch it.

No, "Jaws" was not filmed during the off season. Principle photography took place from late April/early May to mid-September 1974, which pretty much is the height of the summer tourist season.

Here is a screen grab from the two-hour documentary on the 30th Anniversary Edition DVD. You can see the date it was shot: July 13, 1974.

http://img278.imageshack.us/img278/4...wsslate4oq.jpg

To answer the original question, Martha's Vineyard is pretty far north and is out over the water. It can get pretty cool, even in the summer.

stinkeye 07-08-05 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
No, "Jaws" was not filmed during the off season. Principle photography took place from late April/early May to mid-September 1974, which pretty much is the height of the summer tourist season.

Here is a screen grab from the two-hour documentary on the 30th Anniversary Edition DVD. You can see the date it was shot: July 13, 1974.

I probably should have ammended my statement from "mostly off season" to "partially off season". As stated, production began in early spring and dragged on into September. Various cast and crewmembers have stated how cold the beach/water scenes were, so it's probably safe to assume some of these sequences will filmed outside of the late June-early July time period depicted in the movie.

Noonan 07-08-05 11:31 AM

I probably should have ammended my statement from "mostly off season" to "partially off season". As stated, production began in early spring and dragged on into September. Various cast and crewmembers have stated how cold the beach/water scenes were, so it's probably safe to assume some of these sequences will filmed outside of the late June-early July time period depicted in the movie.

I've been in the area my whole life, and I can tell you first hand that even in the middle of the summer, the water up here is always cold.

Get Me Coffee 07-08-05 04:37 PM

And I thought the sweaters were just for a wasp look

DRG 07-08-05 04:48 PM

Well, they COULD'VE had Robert Shaw running around in a speedo. But really...

Buttmunker 07-08-05 05:02 PM

Now THIS is what I'm talking about!! Look'it how they're dressed! This is SUMMER. I'd have fainted from heat exhaustion 20 times within the day if I was dressed like THAT at the friggin' beach!
http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.ya..._hamilton6.jpg

Mr. Salty 07-08-05 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
I'd have fainted from heat exhaustion 20 times within the day if I was dressed like THAT at the friggin' beach!

I've been to a lot of beaches in my life and they aren't all hot. My family is from Maine. Again, the beaches in northern New England are NOT ALWAYS WARM.