Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Socal,see Apichatpong Weerasethakul on the big screen!

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 07-03-05, 02:19 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tropical Malady July 22 @ Nuart
Old 07-04-05, 11:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The sad part is that I'm only the 23rd person to read this thread since yesterday while in others, there've been 23 replies by now.

Anyway, Tropical Malady is great and deserves to be seen on the big-screen. Apichatpong's debut feature Mysterious Objects At Noon is available on a R1 DVD. His second, Blissfully Yours, can be imported with English subs.
Old 07-05-05, 02:47 PM

I enjoyed Tropical Malady very much, but recognize that many may find it a bit too "arty." The region 3 DVD (and the VCD) is available from most Thai DVD vendors, including ethaicd.com and thaimegamart. com.
Old 07-05-05, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Indeed, his works are much more effective on the big screen. I've seen the 3 mentioned here in the theater. I even met Mr. Weersethakul at a screening of Mysterious Object at Noon (yes yes, you are all soooo happy for me . . .).

edit: ooooooooh, my 2000th post . . .
Old 07-05-05, 10:29 PM

wow. this thread has three more replies than i expected it to.
Old 07-06-05, 01:10 AM

well there isnt much to reply to here...thanks for the heads-up, but i read the LA Weekly as well

i havent seen any of his films, but 'mysterious object at noon' has been on my list for a while now. maybe ill try to catch this one, it does look interesting.
Old 07-06-05, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by maxinquaye
well there isnt much to reply to here...thanks for the heads-up, but i read the LA Weekly as well

i havent seen any of his films, but 'mysterious object at noon' has been on my list for a while now. maybe ill try to catch this one, it does look interesting.
i sort of posted it as a joke. someone started a thread titled, "Socal,see Leone on the big screen!" and, for some reason I thought it would be humorous to mirror it with a filmmaker that few here would be familiar with. anyway, i'll be there regardless.
Old 07-06-05, 01:46 PM

Just realized I can spell Apichatpong Weerasethakul without looking it up.
Old 07-07-05, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by Cygnet74
i sort of posted it as a joke. someone started a thread titled, "Socal,see Leone on the big screen!" and, for some reason I thought it would be humorous to mirror it with a filmmaker that few here would be familiar with. anyway, i'll be there regardless.
oh, i didn't realize there was a context. in that light, it is kind of funny

Originally Posted by sundog
bless you
Old 07-07-05, 08:30 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by sundog
Oddly enough, so can I. Sad, innit?

I saw Mysterious Object at Noon, Blissfully Yours, and Tropical Malady as part of a "Joe" mini-retrospective here in Columbus last year. Weerasethakul spoke at the event and answered questions. He's a really nice, modest guy and I'm very happy for his success. Needless to say, his films are fantastic.
Old 07-08-05, 10:32 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
now all you have to see The Adventures of Iron P****y - it's not his best, but its just too funny and very tongue in cheek not to miss.
Old 07-27-05, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"Iron *****" doesn't really have the feel of a "joe" film. I think that was more of a director-for-hire situation; not terrible, but I don't really consider it one of his.

I don't think Weerasethakul's very well represented on DVD, with the only worthy English-friendly DVD being the "Tropical Malady" Thai disc. I have no idea why Plexifilm failed to anamorphically enhance "Mysterious Objects at Noon", which is otherwise a good release. But no 16x9. It was announced about a year ago that Plexifilm had obtained the North American rights to "Blissfully Yours", but I've heard nothing about a DVD release. Which will hopefully be anamorphically enhanced if it ever comes out.

(Sadly, the Thai disc for "Blissfully Yours" is full-frame and washed out. The French disc - which includes "Mysterious Objects" - is supposed to be better, but no English subs.)
Old 07-27-05, 01:45 PM

His nickname isn't "Joe". It's "Joei".