Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

2005 Toronto International Film Festival

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 07-01-05, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Here is the initial list of movies that will be shown at the festival this year. More details and films to come.

Festival Unveils Opening Night, Canadian Galas and International Fare
06/28/05 — Toronto International Film Festival®

Toronto – Director and CEO Piers Handling, Festival Co-Director Noah Cowan, and Managing Director Michèle Maheux announced preliminary details of the 30th Toronto International Film Festival® today, including titles in VIACOM Gala Presentations, Masters, Visions, Special Presentations, Contemporary World Cinema, and Discovery. Today, 11 world premieres, five international premieres, and nine North American premieres from 17 countries were announced at The Fairmont Royal York.

The Festival opens September 8 with the world premiere Gala Presentation of WATER, one of three Canadian Gala Presentations announced today. The film is directed by acclaimed filmmaker Deepa Mehta and is the final film in her trilogy on the elements, following FIRE (1996) and EARTH (1998). Set in pre-independent India against the backdrop of Mahatma Gandhi's rise to power, the film tells the story of eight-year old child-bride Chuyia, who is exiled to a widow's ashram after her husband dies. This extraordinary film stars Lisa Ray, Seema Biswas, and John Abraham.

David Cronenberg's A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE receives its North American premiere as a Gala Presentation. The film is a ruthlessly gripping and provocative thriller that delves into the lives of an ordinary family and captures the extraordinary circumstances and events that transform them. Based on the John Wagner/Vince Locke graphic novel of the same name, the film stars Viggo Mortensen, Maria Bello, William Hurt, Ed Harris, and Ashton Holmes.

WHERE THE TRUTH LIES, the new film from Atom Egoyan, receives its North American premiere as a Gala Presentation. Based on the Rupert Holmes novel of the same name, WHERE THE TRUTH LIES is a dramatic look at the events that sever a famous comedic duo when a beautiful girl turns up naked and dead in the pair's hotel suite after a night of wild partying. Kevin Bacon, Colin Firth, Alison Lohman, and Rachel Blanchard lead the stellar ensemble cast.

Two titles have been added to Masters, which exhibits new works by the world's most established and renowned filmmakers. This year's films to date include Buddhadev Dasgupta's KAALPURUSH (India), a world premiere, and Ang Lee's BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN (USA), a North American premiere.

World, international, and North American premieres have been added to this year's Visions, showcasing the most daring and challenging work in cinema today: THE QUIET (USA), from Jamie Babbit, Stewart Main's 50 WAYS OF SAYING FABULOUS (New Zealand), and THE PROPOSITION (Australia/UK), directed by John Hillcoat and written by celebrated musician Nick Cave.

This year's Special Presentations include the world premieres of Anand Tucker's SHOPGIRL (USA), starring Claire Danes, Steve Martin, and Jason Schwartzman; Jason Reitman's THANK YOU FOR SMOKING (USA), starring Aaron Eckhart, Robert Duvall, and Katie Holmes; first-time director Paul Mayeda Berges' MISTRESS OF SPICES (United Kingdom), starring Aishwarya Rai and Dylan McDermott; and the international premiere of Richard E. Grant's WAH-WAH (South Africa/France/United Kingdom), starring Nicholas Hoult, Gabriel Byrne, and Emily Watson.

To date, Contemporary World Cinema, which showcases the best in international film, includes seven titles hailing from eight countries. This year's line-up features: Michael Caton-Jones' SHOOTING DOGS (UK/Germany); TWELVE AND HOLDING (USA), the second feature from Michael Cuesta; Zhang Yang's SUNFLOWER (China); Alberto Rodriguez's 7 VIRGINS (Spain); Anders Thomas Jensen's ADAM'S APPLES (Denmark); Alexey Uchitel's DREAMING OF SPACE (Russia); and AMU (India), from Shonali Bose.

This year's Discovery includes six hot new directors and showcases the most talented emerging filmmakers from around the world. Announced today are: DREAMING LHASA (India), by Ritu Sarin and Tenzing Sonam; Sarah Watt's LOOK BOTH WAYS (Australia); Julia Solomonoff's SISTERS (Argentina); PAVEE LACKEEN (Ireland), from Perry Ogden; A PERFECT DAY (France/Lebanon), co-directed by Khalil Joreige and Joana Hadjithomas; and Antonin Svoboda's YOU BET YOUR LIFE (Austria).
For people interested in attending, here are some ticket information.

The Box Office opens for VISA cardholders beginning July 18, 2005. At this time Passes and Coupons may be purchased at the Official website www.bell.ca/filmfest or by calling the Bell Infoline at (416) 968-FILM.

Starting July 25, Passes and Coupons go on sale to the general public and may be purchased online, by phone or in person at the Toronto International Film Festival Group Box Office, located at the Manulife Centre, 55 Bloor Street West (north entrance), Monday to Friday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Gala tickets go on sale August 27, and tickets for all other films are on sale September 7.
Official website:
www.bell.ca/filmfest

The Festival runs from Thursday, September 8 to Saturday, September 17, 2005.
Old 07-01-05, 05:21 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'm planning to go. anyone else?
Old 07-01-05, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cygnet74
i'm planning to go. anyone else?
I attended last year to the showing of House of the Flying Daggers Gala night. It was my first time at the Toronto Film Festival and I loved it.

However, because of certain life events, I don't think I will be able to attend this year.
Old 08-25-05, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here is the complete list of movies for the festival.

http://www.e.bell.ca/filmfest/2005/films_filmList.asp
Old 08-25-05, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There are some movies that I would love to see such as Sympathy for Lady Vengeance, 7 Swords, The Myth, Walk The Line, Where the Truth Lies and Oliver Twist.
Old 08-25-05, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm already watching a few films. Missed Brokeback Mountain because I had to attend another screening - shucks! But was told Heath Ledger nearly ruins the film with his acting.
Old 08-26-05, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm going. I've got a 50 ticket pass. Now for the difficult part - picking the films next week when the full schedule comes out.
Old 08-26-05, 12:27 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Grimfarrow
But was told Heath Ledger nearly ruins the film with his acting.
That seems to be a common theme this year.
Old 09-12-05, 12:13 AM

I Just got back from seeing Shooting Dogs, I thought it was a very good film and would definately recommend it though there were one or two problems (very minor problems)
Old 09-15-05, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts
I'd like to see Haneke's Cache, the Dardenne's L'Enfant, Allan King's Alzheimer's documentary, and a few others, but I'm going to wait until they are released.
Old 09-15-05, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If anyone has a chance tonight to catch Director Buddhadeb Dasgupta's Kaalpurush aka Memories in the Mist, I'd appreciate a mini-review. If I were fortunate enough to be there, this would easily have been number one on my to-see list.
Old 09-15-05, 03:46 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
I'd like to see Haneke's Cache, the Dardenne's L'Enfant, Allan King's Alzheimer's documentary, and a few others, but I'm going to wait until they are released.
'Cache' and 'L'Enfant' are going to be at the New York Film Festival, and possibly screened at Chicago IFF.
Old 09-19-05, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 134 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by flixtime
If anyone has a chance tonight to catch Director Buddhadeb Dasgupta's Kaalpurush aka Memories in the Mist, I'd appreciate a mini-review. If I were fortunate enough to be there, this would easily have been number one on my to-see list.
Michael Sicinski - http://www.geocities.com/michaelsicinski/TIFF2005.htm (bottom of the page)- has some comments up.
Old 09-19-05, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Woo! Tsotsi won the People's Choice award; my composer friends did the music for this.
Old 09-19-05, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks, William Fuld, for posting the review link. I'd been checking IMDb, Twitch, etc. for some sort of info. on this but to no avail. The link you provided was the first review I've read. A little disappointed, though it did make me feel better about not being there. I still hope to catch the film somewhere down the festival circuit road; hopefully the film works better for me than it did for that particular reviewer.