Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Uwe Boll's Dungeon Siege - Statham & Sobieski

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-05, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How in the hell does Uwe Boll get to direct another video game movie, and this time with a $60 million budget? I really like Jason Statham, but surely he has better roles available.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=10224

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr..._id=1000972245

Statham & Sobieski Enter Dungeon Siege
Source: The Hollywood Reporter July 1, 2005

Jason Statham and Leelee Sobieski are set to headline the cast of director Uwe Boll's $60 million adaptation of the sword-and-sorcery video game Dungeon Siege, which begins filming Sunday in Vancouver until mid-September.

The Hollywood Reporter says Statham (The Transporter, Cellular) plays the film's hero, Farmer, and Sobieski (Eyes Wide Shut, Max) has been cast as Muriella, daughter of the court sorcerer Merrick (John Rhys Davies of "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy).

Also starring are Ron Perlman (Hellboy) as Norick, Farmer's friend; Matthew Lillard ("Scooby-Doo" films) as Duke Fallow; Burt Reynolds (The Longest Yard) as King Konreid; and Kristanna Loken (Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines) as Elora, an enchanted tree-like creature whose support proves critical to Farmer.

The film is based on developer Gas Powered Games' best-selling fantasy PC game franchise, which was published by Microsoft Game Studios, and follows the journey of Farmer from simple family man to heroic prince. Amidst a fantasy backdrop of war in the Kingdom of Ehb between the evil Gallian and the ruling King Konreid, Farmer sets out to find his kidnapped wife, Solana, and avenge the death of his son, who was killed by animal warriors called Krugs.

The film, which does not have a distributor, will be ready for release as early as late summer 2006. Boll also is developing movies based on video games "Far Cry," "Hunter: The Reckoning" and "Fear Effect."
Old 07-01-05, 08:10 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Too bad it's JULY 1, and not APRIL 1.
Old 07-01-05, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With the cast he keeps getting, Uwe must be one hell of a conman.
Old 07-01-05, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
With the cast he keeps getting, Uwe must be one hell of a conman.
Yeah, WTF. They're not Cruise or Julia Roberts, but he gets some pretty decent names attached to his crapfests.
Old 07-01-05, 11:10 AM

60 million dollars? How is that possible...I can understand him getting financing...but still...he's never made anything close to deserving a budget like that.

Of course, perhaps they're overstating it. I remember when Bloodrayne was on the cards, they were touting a 45 million budget, but really it ended up being only 17 million.

Still! Statham, did you not watch Boll's other films?
Old 07-01-05, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As a fan of bad Sword and Sorcery flicks, I say bring it on!

I just hope it's R-rated with violence and boobies, and not watered down and kid-friendly like Dungeons and Dragons.
Old 07-01-05, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
My guess on how he keeps getting work is that these flicks turn a profit when all is said and done when you factor in overseas and DVD sales.
Old 07-01-05, 12:16 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by matome
Yeah, WTF. They're not Cruise or Julia Roberts, but he gets some pretty decent names attached to his crapfests.

Burt Reynolds? Matthew Lillard? Leelee Sobieski?

No...they belong in crapfests.
Old 07-01-05, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones
My guess on how he keeps getting work is that these flicks turn a profit when all is said and done when you factor in overseas and DVD sales.

It's German money from private investors. It has nothing to do with profitibility.
Old 07-01-05, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Okay, fine... even I think this is a fucking horrible idea.
Old 07-01-05, 01:34 PM

hahah check out this site

http://uweboll.com/
Old 07-01-05, 01:51 PM

I agree this is probablyl the case (I imagine largely because they presell his films worldwide, and the DVD of HoD was a decent seller) but, even so, HoD and Alone in the Dark, even if profitable, no way they were so profitable as to justify 60 million.

But I think the 60 million might be BS. Overstated budget happened on Bloodrayne, with the word saying 45 million then it being 17.

But yes, Boll has a fund, Boll KG, which he has a decent reservoir of money to make his films. In fact, I think it's a rather successful racket he's got going over in Germany. Who knows when he'll run out.
Old 07-01-05, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, this movie ought to be really craptacular.
Old 07-01-05, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 623 Likes on 481 Posts
I'm... I... WTF?!!!
Old 07-01-05, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally Posted by scott shelton
It's German money from private investors. It has nothing to do with profitibility.
And the Germans are stupid enough to throw money to this guy hand over fist to make unprofitable movies?

If it's an investor, he's made money, therefore the movies have made money. Plain and simple.
Old 07-01-05, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought scott shelton was insinuating some bizarre money laundering scam is in effect with Boll's "films".
Old 07-01-05, 04:04 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by RocShemp
I thought scott shelton was insinuating some bizarre money laundering scam is in effect with Boll's "films".
I don't know. If I needed to launder money, I think I'd rather go to jail than finance one of those monstrosities.
Old 07-01-05, 04:06 PM

And the Germans are stupid enough to throw money to this guy hand over fist to make unprofitable movies?

If it's an investor, he's made money, therefore the movies have made money. Plain and simple.

Sure...
Old 07-01-05, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
WTF? Seems like once he completes a single piece of shit movie he has another three lined up!
Old 07-04-05, 06:49 PM

I'm looking forward to it. I honestly cannot name another director who can deliver comedy as well as Boll can.
Old 07-04-05, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Uwe aside, this is a bad idea. I really enjoyed the game, but as movie it can not work well. The plot was paper thin, as the game was about the action first, story second. Some of the elements will need to be left out, such as the goblins, as they will be too silly on film (goblins with machines, flame throwers, etc. in a medieval world). Plus, the main character is a farmer, giving him the name Farmer is just stupid, and all the promotion, etc. had the main character as a girl (although you might be able to choose in the game, I don't remember). What the hell is wrong with having the main girl then?

Luckily the game's sequel will be out before the movie has a chance to completely smudge its name.
Old 07-04-05, 08:34 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ahh, the first fantasy film to have bullet-time effects set to crappy heavy metal music.
Old 07-04-05, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I may have add a new quote to my sig, DRG.
Old 07-04-05, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You haven't yet grasped the full complexity of their plan. They pay for Uwe Boll's films which means they are also the only people in the world capable of stopping him. After a few more of these flicks they're going to say: "Okay, now give us $200 Billion and we'll stop Uwe Boll. If you don't comply, next up with be Uwe Boll's Halo: The Movie. Then Metal Gear Solid: The Movie. Then Legend of the Zelda: The Movie. We've already greenlit Super Mario Bros 2...mwhahaha!!!!"
Old 07-04-05, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

But your logic is flawed, Joe Molotov. Halo is ruled by Microsoft with an iron fist and Metal Gear is Hideo Kojima's baby. He hasn't let anyone make a movie about it (yet) because he doesn't want it to be a crappy cash grab.

On the other hand, I totally believe Legend of the Zelda: The Movie (I hear it'll be a sci-fi musical with all songs written by P. Diddy) and Super Mario Bros 2 (I actually consider the first a really guilty pleasure but I'm sure Uwe Boll will somehow manage to make this worse).

Oh, you're forgetting this:

It was suppossed to be released last year but I dunno what happened. Looks awesome, though.

Last edited by RocShemp; 07-04-05 at 10:18 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.