Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Question about Reservoir Dogs/Pulp Fiction *spoilers*

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-05, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just watched Reservior Dogs for the firsst time and i could swear i heard a while ago that it is a "prequel" to Pulp Fiction. If this is true, then how did Harvey Kietel's character show up in Pulp Fiction when he died at the end of Reservior Dogs? Another thing i noticed was the undercover cop who was shot in Reservior Dogs is the same guy who robbed the restaurant with his girlfriend in Pulp Fiction.
Old 06-25-05, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You heard wrong.
Old 06-25-05, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chaz k
Just watched Reservior Dogs for the firsst time and i could swear i heard a while ago that it is a "prequel" to Pulp Fiction. If this is true, then how did Harvey Kietel's character show up in Pulp Fiction when he died at the end of Reservior Dogs? .
there are "talks" because suposingly Vic Vega (michael madison) and Vincent Vega (john travolta) are brothers and there have been talks for years about doing a prequel, but with tarantino, you never know. (also, in one of the flashbacks, don't remeber which one, one of the characters is asked "hows alabama" which supposingly refers to alabama worley in true romance.
Originally Posted by chaz k
Another thing i noticed was the undercover cop who was shot in Reservior Dogs is the same guy who robbed the restaurant with his girlfriend in Pulp Fiction.
same actor, different character.
Old 06-26-05, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is also speculation that Steve Buscemi's character in RD was arrested, sent to prison and then released only to get a job as a waiter (a job he hated in RD). He played a Buddy Holly look alike waiter in PF. I think it has been confrimed that the 3 movies (True Romance, Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction) are all set in the same universe. Sorta like Kevin Smith movies.
Old 06-26-05, 08:00 AM

Plus, the name Scagnetti shows up in Reservoir Dogs as Mr Blonde's parole officer and in Natural Born Killers as Tome Sizemore's characters.
Old 06-26-05, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

In a deleted scene (available on the DVD), Nice Guy Eddie considers taking Mr. Orange to a nurse named Bonnie. Pulp Fiction also features a nurse named Bonnie.

In Mr. White's flashback, Joe asks him about a girl named Alabama. This is a reference to Patricia Arquette's character from True Romance (1993). Tarantino has stated that he originally intended this character to meet up with Mr White and to become partners in crime. When True Romance (1993) was released a year after Reservoir Dogs (1992) the ending was changed and so this backstory became inconsistent because Alabama never went on to meet up with Mr. White.

Trivia for Reservoir Dogs:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105236/trivia

Trivia for Pulp Fiction:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110912/trivia
Old 06-27-05, 02:08 AM

Tarantino uses a lot of the same character names in his writing... Not all are intended to be the same person, but more of a inside joke type of deal. I also don't completely believe the IMDB trivia about the Mr. White/Alabama thing, unless Dogs was intended to take place before Romance. Because Quentin's original written ending has Alabama shooting and killing herself in the car after getting away from the hotel.

NAMES IN THE QT WORLD
Vic Vega(RD) - Vincent Vega (PF) (Vincent was originally written for Madsen, he's gone on record stating that "not doing it so he could make Wyatt Earp is the biggest mistake of his life..." Another character that was offered to him was Mickey Knox in NBK)

Alabama (TR & RD)
Spivey (Drexl in TR & Marsellus in RD)
Marvin (TR, PF & RD)
Wurlitzer (TR & NBK)
Scagnetti (Jack in NBK & Seymore in RD)
Grace (Ashley Judd in NBK & "the chopper" in PF)
Marsellus (Wallace in PF & Spivey in RD)
Laura Lovelace played "Waitress" in PF & JB
Roger (PF, NBK, TR)
Floyd (TR & PF)
Dimmick (Larry in RD & Jimmie/Bonnie in PF)
Long-Hair Yuppie Scum (PF, FDTD, FR) Lawrence Bender's token cameo, except in Dogs(Young cop) & Kill Bill(Hotel Clerk).
Seth Gecko, Richard Gecko & Newscaster Kelly Houge (FDTD & Curdled)
Earl McGraw (FDTD & KB both times played by Michael Parks)(James Parks, Michael's son, plays Deputy McGraw in FDTD 2 & KB)
Heidi Vogel (killed by Geckos in FDTD was a co-producer on FR & a post-production supervisor on PF & JB)
Winston (JB & PF)
Clarence (TR & My Best Friend's Birthday played by Quentin)

J. Hill & S. Haig are names on apartment call box in JB. Sid Haig has cameoed in JB & KB.

Jack Hill is the director of Foxy Brown, Coffy and other movies Quenting loved growing up.

Big Kahuna Burger can be seen in PF, FDTD, FR & Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion

Red Apple cigarettes can be seen in PF, FR & Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion

Vincent Vega's car can also be seen on the magazine cover in FR. It was Quentin's own car.

I'm sure there's some stuff I'm missing, but you get the point.

Last edited by mikewendt; 06-27-05 at 02:10 AM.
Old 06-27-05, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Don't forget that box of Frute Brute.
Old 06-27-05, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why does Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion share some of "the universe"? Was QT involved in that flick?
Old 06-27-05, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
Why does Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion share some of "the universe"? Was QT involved in that flick?
He was dating Mira Sorvino during filming and it was reported he spent a lot of time on the set.
Old 06-27-05, 02:25 PM

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by fmian
There is also speculation that Steve Buscemi's character in RD was arrested, sent to prison and then released only to get a job as a waiter (a job he hated in RD). He played a Buddy Holly look alike waiter in PF. I think it has been confrimed that the 3 movies (True Romance, Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction) are all set in the same universe. Sorta like Kevin Smith movies.
That has to be the lamest thing I have ever heard. He gets arrested for being involved in a robbery in which serveral customers and cops are murdered and he gets released? He would have gotten the death penalty in California for his involvement in the robbery and murders. He would never have been released from prison and certainly not when was young enough to be at Jack Rabbit Slims.

Besides, you can clearly hear at the end of the film that Mr. Pink is shot by the police as he leaves the building.

Last edited by sherm42; 06-27-05 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-27-05, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by sherm42
Besides, you can clearly hear at the end of the film that Mr. Pink is shot by the police as he leaves the building.
I subscribed to that theory for years, too, until the DVD came out and it said something in the DVD packaging that Mr. Pink was the only one to survive the ordeal. I still can't believe they wrote that.
Old 06-27-05, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow, you have good hearing. I only heard gunshots.
Old 06-27-05, 02:50 PM

Fine, it is strongly implied by the fact that gunshots are heard after he leaves the building that he is shot and killed. First, you assume the police are not shooting at themselves. I suppose it is possible he lived and was shot.

Either way, he would never get out of prison even if he lived.
Old 06-27-05, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Fine, it is strongly implied by the fact that gunshots are heard after he leaves the building that he is shot and killed. First, you assume the police are not shooting at themselves. I suppose it is possible he lived and was shot.

implied does not equal actual happened... in the world of movies, suspense and sequels just because you think it has happened doesn't mean it does... if every horror movie ended when you "thought" the monster was dead the 1st time, the movies would be a lot shorter and lot less suspenseful
Old 06-27-05, 03:43 PM

Hence my admission that he might have lived. I never said implied meant for sure.
Old 06-27-05, 07:13 PM

Pink, IMO, lived at the end of Dogs. After a series of gunshots, if your volume is pumped up enough, you can hear the cops yelling at him to get on the ground. No shots are heard after that, besides White shooting Orange then getting shot himself.