Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Stanley Kubrick reccomendations? Just watched full metal jacket

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Stanley Kubrick reccomendations? Just watched full metal jacket

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-05, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kubrick is my favorite director as well. I would say my favorite 3 films of his are

#1 Barry Lyndon
#2 2001: A Space Odyssey
#3 Eyes Wide Shut

probably in that order, but all three are really tied for first.....
A Clockwork Orange would be the next one on my list.

after that it all gets too difficult to rank.
Old 06-25-05, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
I guess I'm inthe minority but I think that Eyes Wide Shut is one of his best films. What I like about it is the surreal touches that it has and the dreamlike feel to it. It reminds me a bit of Lynch & Bunuel with a touch of Tarkovsky.
Old 06-25-05, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
Kubrick is my favorite filmmaker as well. I don't understand what people mean that Clockwork Orange was 'too weird'...I think the themes of the movie are pretty straightforward. Malcolm's performance is DEFINITELY over-the-top but that's what I love about him. Malcolm's one of my favorite actors also even though I have never seen him in a lot of good movies (I wish "IF..." would get a release). Anywho, my order of preference would be:

1. Clockwork Orange
2. Barry Lyndon (by just a nose, I LOVE this film)
3. Dr Strangelove
4. Spartacus (not really a kubrick film but I still enjoy it a great deal)
5. 2001 (yes it's slow in the first act but still one of the most realistic looking space movies ever. I admit I only really get into the movie after we move to the Discovery portion of the movie though).
6. The Shining
7. Full Metal jacket
8. Lolita (interesting movie and entertaining but I think it probably would have been better if Kubrick didn't have to dance around the central themes so much due to the restrictions imposed upon him during that time period).
9. The Killing
10. Eyes Wide Shut (I like portions of this film but I do feel the first half is too disjointed from the second half...I understand what the themes are but I don't really care for the execution so much. I get bored which rarely happens during a kubrick movie).

I haven't seen paths of glory or killer's kiss yet, I'm afraid.

Michael
Old 06-26-05, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
I'm a big fan of his movies, and feel that 2001 is my favorite.
Eyes Wide Shut was good, but the music pisses me off so much that I can't watch it anymore.
The Shining is one of my favorite horror movies.
Barry Lyndon was a bit slow, but very enjoyable.
Dr. Strangelove is spectacular. "Have you ever seen a commie drink a glass of water?"
Clockwork Orange was good, once you understood the language. It gets much better after repeat viewings.
Old 06-26-05, 01:49 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I'm not a huge Kubrick man, but I love BARRY LYNDON.

I've seen his big films numerous times, but that one was the only one to move me.
Old 06-26-05, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Kubrick is great, Full Metal Jacket remains one of my favorite movies of all time. The first act is the greatest 40 minutes of film. Must watch The Shining next and Clockwork Orange, if I had to pick two. The other ones are out there and may not interest you at all. Clockwork is an amazing one as well.

Either way you'll be watching some great movies now.
Old 06-29-05, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So I just watched 2001. Didn't like it. It was as if Kubrick was trying to say, I just bought a blacklight and look what I can do with it.

I thought the space travel parts were neat, i.e. them walking upside down in the station, dave destroying hal, but everything else I freaking hated. The film pissed me off quite a bit. There were so many scene's where it just wouldn't freakin go anywhere. I probably would have liked it if I was reading a book while watching it, but by itself I just couldn't wait for it to be over.

So of the films I like; Full Metal Jacket, Dr.Strangelove versus the films I hate; Eyes Wide Shut, 2001, A clockwork orange. I guess I'm just not a kubrick guy. I'll just stick with the directors I know I like.
Old 06-29-05, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm glad to see some love for Eyes Wide Shut in this thread. I thought from the moment that movie started when I saw it in the theater that it was a masterpiece. It's like he painted that film cell by cell...and all the visuals just played you right into his hands on reality vs. perception reality vs. dreams.

I'd have to say he's the director I respect most.
Old 06-30-05, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will say one viewing of a Kubrick film (except maybe Fear and Desire) is not enough. I don't care if you hate the film or not, watch it again.

Oh and am I the only one that perfers the last two acts in Full Metal Jacket to the first?
Old 06-30-05, 08:55 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lukewarmwater
So I just watched 2001. Didn't like it. It was as if Kubrick was trying to say, I just bought a blacklight and look what I can do with it.
Stay away from me and my family.
Old 06-30-05, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Kubrick direction can have a very slow pacing at times, but that is how I liked Kubrick.

I feel sorry that you didn't enjoy 2001 and Eyes Wide Shut, but I believe you have your own reason and I appreciate your opinions.

I see you didn't mention The Shining in your love/hate list. You should give it a try. I wouldn't really recommend Barry Lyndon although I loved it.
Old 06-30-05, 01:06 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
If this guy hated 2001, I'll bet credits to navy beans he'll gouge his own eyes out trying to get through BARRY LYNDON.
Old 06-30-05, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think your DVD player should be confiscated.

If that's seriously all you got from 2001, then Kubrick is definitely not for you. You could probably enjoy the more popcorn-accessible Full Metal Jacket and The Shining, but otherwise stay away until maybe later in life. In the mean time I'm sending you a blacklight and expecting something far greater than 2001.

Here's some more love for Eyes Wide Shut also, one of my favorites.
Old 06-30-05, 05:20 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by inhotwater

I thought the space travel parts were neat, i.e. them walking upside down in the station, dave destroying hal, but everything else I freaking hated. The film pissed me off quite a bit. There were so many scene's where it just wouldn't freakin go anywhere. I probably would have liked it if I was reading a book while watching it, but by itself I just couldn't wait for it to be over.

So of the films I like; Full Metal Jacket, Dr.Strangelove versus the films I hate; Eyes Wide Shut, 2001, A clockwork orange. I guess I'm just not a kubrick guy. I'll just stick with the directors I know I like.
fixed.
Old 06-30-05, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

what I meant by black light was at the end when the guy was traveling through space like every thing was neon and black lit. It was like a laser show or something, pink floyd should have been playing.
Old 07-01-05, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Cygnet74
i've probably seen it about a dozen times now. each viewing reveals new depths, ideas, and connections for me.
This is true. The film will be respected in time, as happens with all Kubrick films (since Spartacus, anyway).
I'll just stick with the directors I know I like.
Don't do that. Explore! Opinions change, perceptions evolve. Besides, most people don't "get" 2001 the first time they see it.

Last edited by Tyler_Durden; 07-01-05 at 01:00 AM.
Old 07-04-05, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Tyler_Durden
This is true. The film will be respected in time, as happens with all Kubrick films (since Spartacus, anyway).
I would almost bank on it. So many of Kubrick's films were very much hated when released only to later be considered "great films" many years later. I'm not really sure why this is a trend with Kubrick films. When people cite their reasons for disliking Eyes Wide Shut, I often wonder what they expected....I mean it's Kubrick.....have they even seen his other films?? (outside of the crowd pleasing Full Metal Jacket and The Shining.....both of those are very accessible films). I think Eyes Wide Shut easily stands as one of his VERY best films, and I will not be surprised at all if ten years from now it is eventually considered to be such by the majority as well.
Old 07-04-05, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by garmonbozia
I would almost bank on it. So many of Kubrick's films were very much hated when released only to later be considered "great films" many years later. I'm not really sure why this is a trend with Kubrick films. When people cite their reasons for disliking Eyes Wide Shut, I often wonder what they expected....I mean it's Kubrick.....have they even seen his other films?? (outside of the crowd pleasing Full Metal Jacket and The Shining.....both of those are very accessible films). I think Eyes Wide Shut easily stands as one of his VERY best films, and I will not be surprised at all if ten years from now it is eventually considered to be such by the majority as well.
people (well teenage boys at least) expected a soft core movie
Old 07-04-05, 10:07 PM

Kubrick is also my favorite director. Anyhow, I'll throw my list out here:

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey
2. Dr Strangelove
3. Barry Lyndon
4. Full Metal Jacket
5. Paths of Glory
6. A Clockwork Orange
7. Eyes Wide Shut
8. The Shining
9. Lolita
10. Spartacus
11. The Killing

Will get around to Killer's Kiss on Netflix sometime, but I'm pretty sure that will be #12.