DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Mrs. Doubtfire vs. Medea (2015, Columbus) S:Williams, Perry (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/427521-mrs-doubtfire-vs-medea-2015-columbus-s-williams-perry.html)

NatrlBornThrllr 06-20-05 07:03 AM

Mrs. Doubtfire vs. Medea (2015, Columbus) S:Williams, Perry

This hurts my head. I just watched "Cadillac Man" on Bravo, and headed over to Robin Williams' page on ye ol' IMDB. Just as I'm closing the window, I see something that can't be right. I open my browser again and make my way back to his page, hoping my eyes had fooled me. Sure enough...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0454901/

...and it's written by Bonnie Hunt to boot. I hope to the cinematic gods that this idea never sees the light of day.

-JP

Giantrobo 06-20-05 08:43 AM

Big deal. Hollywood is in the buisness of squeezing the tit til there's no more milk. What are you gonna do? You do know they're making X-men 3 right? :p

BTW:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0452598/

ianholm 06-20-05 08:44 AM

I'm just surprised it took them so long to come out with a sequel to this.

Groucho 06-20-05 08:47 AM

"...in the most delightful way!"

Eric F 06-20-05 09:07 AM

Staring...Martin Lawrence?

Mr. Cinema 06-20-05 09:57 AM

I thought "Diary of a Mad Black Woman" was Mrs. Doubtfire 2.

scott shelton 06-20-05 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
...and it's written by Bonnie Hunt to boot. I hope to the cinematic gods that this idea never sees the light of day.

What's your problem with Bonnie Hunt?

Michael Corvin 06-20-05 11:04 AM

If Disney can piss all over their classics with sequels and Universal pissed all over the sandlot with it's sequel, then anything is possible. Add to that Ms. D. is no cinema classic like these.

pdinosaur 06-20-05 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo

i thought cheaper by the dozen was a good fun movie.

i like bonnie, like steve, so this could be good. carmen electra, however, might somehow affect the family nature of the movie dependong on how she's used.

NitroJMS 06-20-05 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
If Disney can piss all over their classics with sequels and Universal pissed all over the sandlot with it's sequel, then anything is possible. Add to that Ms. D. is no cinema classic like these.

Fox is responsible for The Sandlot, as well as Mrs. Doubtfire.

Dark_Sithlord 06-20-05 02:42 PM

I read an article about Robin Williams that stated he's made a string of unsuccessful movies in recent times, and needs a surefire (no pun intended) commercial hit to rekindle his marquee status.

Drexl 06-20-05 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I thought "Diary of a Mad Black Woman" was Mrs. Doubtfire 2.

No, that was the sequel to Big Momma's House.

Seriously, I thought it was when I first saw the TV spot for it.

iggystar 06-20-05 02:49 PM

I doubt I'll be seeing this one (pun intended).

DRG 06-20-05 02:55 PM

Too bad they couldn't get Tobias Fünke to play the lead.

clckworang 06-20-05 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by DRG

Now that's a sequel I would pay to see.

SleepyW 06-20-05 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by pdinosaur
carmen electra...dependong...

Get your mind out of the gutter.

NatrlBornThrllr 06-20-05 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by scott shelton
What's your problem with Bonnie Hunt?

...oh, I don't know, perhaps the fact that her writing credits to date consist solely of "Return to Me" and the atrocious series "Life with Bonnie," and nothing more? If that writing filmography leaves you optimistic about her writing a sequel to a film that certainly didn't leave room for one...then you must know something that I don't.

-JP

Michael Corvin 06-20-05 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by DRG

rotfl

Giantrobo 06-20-05 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by pdinosaur
i thought cheaper by the dozen was a good fun movie.

i like bonnie, like steve, so this could be good. carmen electra, however, might somehow affect the family nature of the movie dependong on how she's used.

The original "Cheaper" had a sequel too. My point was not to rag on "Cheaper II" but to say that this is what Hollywood does and it amazes me how every one gets all bent outa shape when they do it. They're in it to make money....

NatrlBornThrllr 06-20-05 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
The original "Cheaper" had a sequel too. My point was not to rag on "Cheaper II" but to say that this is what Hollywood does and it amazes me how every one gets all bent outa shape when they do it. They're in it to make money....

Well, I certainly wasn't getting bent out of shape. The can do what they like...I just think it's foolish, especially when the original didn't leave room for anymore story. Don't read so much into my post, I really couldn't care less since nobody will be forcing me to see it, and the original isn't exactly among my list of favorite films. I was just pointing out how bad of an idea it is.

-JP

jaeufraser 06-20-05 09:39 PM

Well, I certainly wasn't getting bent out of shape. The can do what they like...I just think it's foolish, especially when the original didn't leave room for anymore story. Don't read so much into my post, I really couldn't care less since nobody will be forcing me to see it, and the original isn't exactly among my list of favorite films. I was just pointing out how bad of an idea it is.

-JP

Well, it's really hard to call it a bad idea until you know what exactly they are doing.

Though, truthfully, I agree it has little chance of being any good. And I have fond memories of the original too.

Giantrobo 06-20-05 10:34 PM

-JP

You have to understand that my comments are in general although they may seem directed towards you. I'm sorry for giving that impression. This has been a dvdtalk pet peeve of mine for some time now.

Peace.

calhoun07 06-20-05 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by ianholm
I'm just surprised it took them so long to come out with a sequel to this.

They saw money could be made off of crap fests like Dumb and Dumberer and Son of the Mask (especially when the ignorant masses who don't pay attention to movies when they come out latch on to the home videos--more on that later--) and probably figured why the hell not make another sequel NOBODY ASKED FOR. And yet M Night can't get funds to continue his Unbreakable series.

Back to the ignorant masses.....I over heard this conversation when I was in a video store...."Hey, let's buy Son of the Mask! Jim Carrey was in the original!!!" Yeah, that is a motivating factor.

scott shelton 06-20-05 11:16 PM

then you must know something that I don't.

I guess I do.

chanster 06-21-05 12:32 AM

I actually liked Mrs. Doubtfire. Sure Robin hasn't made a good comedy since, but I thought it was damn funny in places.