Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Is the term "made for the fans" insulting to the fans in question?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 06-18-05, 04:20 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was talking to someone about how "Freddy vs. Jason" was hardly a horror movie and more like a WWE showdown between the two characters with a pretty bad plot to go along with it. His response was that it was "made for the fans," which he was one of. Seems to me that "made for the fans" being a justification for why a movie sucks doesn't say a whole lot about the fans in question. Now the "Friday the 13th" movies are basically the same script done over and over again and seem to exist only for the obligatory T&A and gruesome murder scenes, so there could be some validity about low standards since there have been so many sequels.

Then again, this person I was talking to claims to be an aspiring filmmaker, yet some of his favorite movies to come out this past year are The Grudge, The Amityville Horror, Elektra and Taxi. Yes... Taxi.
Old 06-18-05, 05:28 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
I know exactly how you feel--I'm a huge fan of both ALIEN and PREDATOR "franchises", but I can guaran-damn-tee you, ALIEN VS. PREDATOR was not made for fans like me, and I'm not just referring to the finished result, but the entire wayward concept...
Old 06-18-05, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

"made for fans" means "don't worry about it guys, these schmucks will pay to see anything"

Revenge of the Sith is a good example of a movie that didn't insult its fans. Sin City is another one.
Old 06-18-05, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a fan of both Freddy and Jason and I can guarantee you that Freddy Vs. Jason sucked a whole lot of ass.
Old 06-18-05, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Just because the concept is there to appease fans doesn't mean the actual content will.
Old 06-19-05, 03:36 AM
Banned

^ Well Batman & Robin DID appease Adam West... whatever that means.
Old 06-19-05, 04:28 AM

I'm a huge Freddy fan and could really give a flying crap about Jason. I liked FVJ just fine. Sure, the teenage plot was nothing we haven't seen before, nothing particularly interesting happened there, but everytime Freddy and, yes, Jason were on screen the movie was pretty f-ing entertaining. I was all for the concept of a F vs. J vs. Ash movie, but I guess it all fell apart when Raimi decided to revitalize the Evil Dead series.

What was in FVJ that was any worse than parts II, IV, V, and VI in the Freddy series or all of the Jason flicks?

L8r
Old 06-19-05, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Usually "made for the fan" is tossed around when critics pan the shit out of a film. They think that somehow the critics and anyone else who disliked it didn't "get it" for some reason.

Just a means to justify a shitty plot, if you ask me.
Old 06-20-05, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not a fan of either Freddie or Jason...and while i enjoyed seeing these two legendary movie baddies fight, i must admit that the end as well as the concept left me unsatisfied.

I think it was the fact that there isnt any way for someone to be a winner.

I can understand the vs. mortal teens who could die, but if Freddie can't die & Jason can't die...doesn't that stike anyone else as boring?
Old 06-20-05, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I can't believe "Batman Begins" hasn't been brought up yet. It's a good example of how what's making the "fan" happy and what the General Public likes isn't in synch. One could say that "Begins" is a movie "made for fans" since it seems to be getting strong positive reviews from the serious Batman fans, but I hear many who wouldn't be conisdered "hardcore fans" saying the movie is boring. When Hollywood sees that a large part of paying public is half assed about a movie despite mostly positive reviews, it freaks out and becomes gunshy when it comes to greenlighting new projects in the franchise. I doubt this will happen with Batman Begins but who knows...
Old 06-20-05, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Just a means to justify a shitty plot, if you ask me.
Not always. Take Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back. The phrase is always tossed around for this film. There are a lot of characters, references and inside jokes from Kevin Smith's other films(and life) that you won't get unless you are a fan. So it was made for the fans.
Old 06-20-05, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
One could say that "Begins" is a movie "made for fans" since it seems to be getting strong positive reviews from the serious Batman fans,
Though no one who was marketing it or who reviewed it to my knowledge labeled it that. I think that's the discussion going on here. When they slap that on it.

Batman Begins was more so made because WB wanted to bring the franchise back to life more so than do something for the fans.
Old 06-20-05, 02:14 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Hey, I'm a fan of Alien(s) and Predator9(s) and I liked AvP a lot better than the last 2 Alien movies.
Old 06-20-05, 03:06 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Then I guess you're the kind of fan they were making it for...