DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Movies You Wish Had A Sequel (and why) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/427335-movies-you-wish-had-sequel-why.html)

dhmac 06-18-05 07:35 AM

Movies You Wish Had A Sequel (and why)

Basically, which movie (or movies) that never had a sequel do you wish a good sequel had been made for? (And why?)

(Alternately, which movie's sequel left you wanting another film in the series?)

[NOTE: this isn't for wishing for better sequels then what already exists, but for wishing for sequels that were never made]

dhmac 06-18-05 07:48 AM

Buckaroo Banzai, aka The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension

Although the first one is a bit uneven, it set up a great premise with Buckaroo Banzai and his team. If a sequel was made back then, I think it would've exceeded the original. (Now, 20 years later, it's too late for one.)

scott shelton 06-18-05 08:39 AM

One and only one... THE ROCKETEER.

The first film sets everything and everyone up so perfectly. The sequel could've went nuts with the premise.

devilshalo 06-18-05 09:05 AM

Unbreakable - You go on this journey to find out who/what David is and then it ends. Don't toy with my feelings man, continue the damn_story. It was like a comic book. It left me wanting more. I felt cheated knowing there wouldn't be a next issue.

Big Trouble in Little China - Jack fuckin' Burton, yo. And it ends with a cliffhanger of sorts. And instead of San Francisco, I'd like to see him tackle another chinatown in a different city. Can you imagine Jack, with all this newfound knowledge, on his own trying to recruit help thinking all chinatowns are the same? Hilarity ensues.

Sessa17 06-18-05 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Big Trouble in Little China - Jack fuckin' Burton, yo. And it ends with a cliffhanger of sorts. And instead of San Francisco, I'd like to see him tackle another chinatown in a different city. Can you imagine Jack, with all this newfound knowledge, on his own trying to recruit help thinking all chinatowns are the same? Hilarity ensues.

Yup, my all-time favorite movie, always has been & always will be. As long as it was done right, there is no movie I wish has a sequel more. Man, I'd love to see more Jack Burton.

dhmac 06-18-05 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by scott shelton
One and only one... THE ROCKETEER.

The first film sets everything and everyone up so perfectly. The sequel could've went nuts with the premise.

Great choice. I completely agree - that movie left me wanting a sequel and I never have understood why that movie didn't do better at the box office.

bigsoos 06-18-05 11:28 AM

:thumbsup:

DVDHO 06-18-05 01:47 PM

I second Unbreakable,this is screaming for a trilogy but we get The Village instead?go figure.

DRG 06-18-05 02:01 PM

Big Trouble in Little China

In theory this is a great idea, but after Escape from L.A. I'm not so sure.

RocShemp 06-18-05 02:17 PM

It's funny that Big Trouble In Little China was made from a reworked sequel script for The Adventures Of Bukaroo Banzai Across The Eigth Dimension that was to be called Bukaroo Banzai versus The World Crime League.

It's also sad that both these films deserve a sequel. And I also agree about The Rocketeer. But I would settle for a DVD version that didn't look like absolute crap.

Deftones 06-18-05 02:21 PM

True Lies. They've been talking about it forever, but nothing has come of it.

Dark_Sithlord 06-18-05 02:47 PM

Rocketeer - I was a fan of the comic as a kid, and I love Jennifer Connelly. She has become a very good actress since her early days.
Top Gun - One of the most popular movies in the 80s that defined a genre of wise-cracking action flicks, and was the benchmark for the home theater crowd.
True Lies - One of Cameron's best outings. Just a really awesome movie.

RogueScribner 06-18-05 03:49 PM

Unbreakable - it SCREAMS sequel!

The Professional - it'd be interesting to see what happened to Matilda, and Leon could appear in flashbacks or sage visions or something.

Hmmm . . . I guess that's all I got.

This is an odd fit, but I really wish that Tim Burton did the third Batman movie so there would be a trilogy of films. Instead Warner Bros. brought in Schumacher because Batman Returns was too dark (it really wasn't). I took small solace in the fact that Burton would be doing a Catwoman movie, but that never materialized. Oh well.

Originally Posted by Deftones
True Lies. They've been talking about it forever, but nothing has come of it.

Cameron was in active development of the sequel until 9/11, after which he dumped the whole thing. The sequel is dead.

L8r

auto 06-18-05 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by DRG
In theory this is a great idea, but after Escape from L.A. I'm not so sure.

Good point. :lol:

IDrinkMolson 06-18-05 04:07 PM

I always wanted to see another Remo Williams.
"In Korea, door handle do not fall off."

Jadow 06-18-05 05:26 PM

Schindler's List 2 : The New Batch

resinrats 06-18-05 05:29 PM

ID4 part 2. More aliens show up but this time, we have adapted some of the tech from the first bunch into our weapons.

fryinpan1 06-18-05 05:29 PM

The Scorpion King - I would have liked to see how Mathayus the Scorpion King turns bad

Planet of the Apes (Tim Burton) - the ending set up a sequel

The Chronicles of Riddick - this was supposed to be a trilogy, so hopefully at least one more will get made

mookiemeister 06-18-05 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by RogueScribner
Cameron was in active development of the sequel until 9/11, after which he dumped the whole thing. The sequel is dead.

Do you know why he dumped the sequel?

dsa_shea 06-18-05 07:09 PM

Clifford 2: Or is it Mason?

Because it is a funny ass movie and Martin Short needs the work.

Perkinsun Dzees 06-18-05 07:38 PM

I'd like to see the following sequels:

FACE/OFF 2
...with different characters. It would be neat to see Natalie Portman and Angelina Jolie switch faces and pretend to be each other.

RUSH HOUR 3
The ending to the last one kind of set it up for a sequel, so I'd like to see it.

MIRACLE MILE 2
Loved the characters in the first film and I'd like to know what happened to them after the ending of the original movie.

REVENGE OF THE SITH 2
The ending of the first film really leaves you hanging and I'd like to see more of Darth Vader.

PopcornTreeCt 06-18-05 07:41 PM

I love Unbreakable but I think a sequel would certainly demystify the first one.

Here's some crazy ideas for sequels:

Heat: Al Pacino's character is still obsessed in capturing De Niro's gang and sets out to find Val Kilmer's character. Who in turn has started his own underground criminal empire. Throw in a subplot with Natalie Portman's character falling for Val Kilmer's and this movie has greatness written all over it.

Road to Perdition: Little Michael is all grown-up with a family of his own. He has an ambitious son who learns of his grandfather's gangster lifestyle and wants nothing else but to become a gangster. He becomes a gangster himself and it's up to dad "who never touched a gun the rest of his life" to bring him down. This is meh, could go either way.

Fight Club: Edward Norton's character goes through a lot of the same crap he did in the first movie: creating a dangerous after-work activity while brainwashing yuppies into terrorist activites. No Tyler Durden this time, the twist is: he's really dead! Yep, he's been dead ever since he blew his brains out. Seriously, watching skyscrapers fall while the Pixies are blaring in your ears is certainly not the work of reality.

wetsprockets 06-18-05 07:52 PM

I'm still waiting for that sequel to The Sword and the Sorcerer that was promised in the end credits. Also, can I say a real sequel to Starship Troopers and forget they made that straight-to-vid flick?

PopcornTreeCt 06-18-05 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by wetsprockets
Also, can I say a real sequel to Starship Troopers and forget they made that straight-to-vid flick?

As long as I can ask for some real Matrix sequels. We're good!

jaeufraser 06-18-05 08:27 PM

I'm still crossing my fingers for Fury Road, Mad Max 4, whatever they want to call it. It especially hurts because they were soooo close to production on that one and now it seems quite unlikely to ever happen. Bummer.