Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Tree of Life (Malick, 2011): Brad Pitt and Sean Penn

Old 06-09-11, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Re: Tree of Life (Malick, 2011): Brad Pitt and Sean Penn

I'm really pissed that the only place that's showing this in Orange County is a piece of shit theater. And they're showing it on 3 screens! So obviously demand is high. It should have been booked into one of the better, larger auditorium. I don't want to see this in a 75 seat auditorium in some shit-mall multiplex. Fucking REALLY disapointed. If this is the way theaters are going to book the product they're going to lose a lot of customers.

I have a 84" home theater in a dedicated HT room. I quit going to the theater 2-3 year ago. But I'll go for EVENT films that I know I can't properly reproduce in my home. But if it's going to be at a fucking shit-mall multiplex then I guess I'll wait for bluray.
Old 06-09-11, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For anyone in the Bay Area (particularly the North Bay)

The Rafael Film Center in San Rafael, CA is showing the film. Saw it on the marquee outside when I was driving through Downtown.
Old 06-09-11, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Giles View Post
not to digress, but the highest walk out film I've seen was Neil LaBute's Your Friends and Neighbors - it made sense, since it's meaness and nihilism was pretty high up there. In regards to Tree of Life - a Landmark employee actually stood up before the film and reminded everyone to turn off anything that might make a noise (i.e, phones, even though the theatre complex is in a basement and cuts off alot of reception - as it should ), as he put 'it's a very quiet movie'
where'd you see it bethesda?
Old 06-09-11, 08:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
I'm really pissed that the only place that's showing this in Orange County is a piece of shit theater. And they're showing it on 3 screens! So obviously demand is high. It should have been booked into one of the better, larger auditorium. I don't want to see this in a 75 seat auditorium in some shit-mall multiplex. Fucking REALLY disapointed. If this is the way theaters are going to book the product they're going to lose a lot of customers.

I have a 84" home theater in a dedicated HT room. I quit going to the theater 2-3 year ago. But I'll go for EVENT films that I know I can't properly reproduce in my home. But if it's going to be at a fucking shit-mall multiplex then I guess I'll wait for bluray.
Just drive up to LA man. The Landmark is awesome.
Old 06-10-11, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I feel the same.

That's why I'll be going next week to an art house type theater where they might actually read Malick's projection instructions.

(Damn, the dates on the list are wrong. They aren't showing it until June 24 and I'll be on vacation.)
Old 06-10-11, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Seeing this today!
Old 06-10-11, 06:58 PM

In terms of presentation (sound and picture quality, screen size), how does Landmark compare to ArcLight? I've only been to ArcLight.
Old 06-10-11, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I see someone isn't a fan of the University theater...

Can't say I blame you much. I see most limited release films there. At least the crowds are generally more respectful than usual. I'd say if you hate it so much, just drive up to the Arclight.
Old 06-10-11, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just got back from seeing it. Thought it was magnificent, and I look forward to seeing it again. Having said that, I only know one or two people that I would actually recommend it to. It seemed fairly straight forward, but the audience I saw it with seemed genuinely baffled.
Old 06-10-11, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525 View Post
where'd you see it bethesda?
Bethesda - it's like on three screens there.
Old 06-10-11, 10:11 PM

oh here's an amusing online story regarding 'Tree of Life'

Italian Cinema Shows 'Tree of Life' Out of Order and No One Notices

Source: firstshowing.net

This is just a fun story for those that love hearing some amusing film news from around the world. I caught on Twitter last night via @theangrymick that an Italian movie theater named Lumière apparently played Terrence Malick's new film The Tree of Life for a full week out of order, but no one really noticed. They provide a link to a translated article on an Italian news site (Corriere di Bologna) where it says that the first two reels (in projectionist speak, each reel is a 22 minute portion of the film) were swapped, but the film ran for a full week before anyone even realized what was wrong until they went to see it again at another theater.

The translation is a bit hard to understand, it refers to reels as "rollers", and some sentences make no sense. But the story begins when the theater decided to show the "original" version of The Tree of Life from Cannes in English with Italian subtitles - later comes a dubbed version and most would rather see the "original." They go on to say "[only to] discover, after a week of screenings, scenes were not exactly in the sequence designed by Malick and his editors." The first two reels were switched and even though the film starts with production logos and a biblical quote, audiences seemed to think that was just part of Malick's crazy editing.

"Those who had read something on The Tree of Life, knew that the plot was traveling from present to past and then, seeing [it in] the Lumière, did not [say] anything after. But some doubt the projectionists had come, because the logo of the distribution appeared after almost half an hour. And besides that also a quote, which is usually in the head. None of them had even seen the work (projected only to Cannes) and so they had no clear evidence to say that something was wrong. Just a feeling. Strong enough to move the logo to the top of the distribution. Apart from that small correction, the projection odd went on for a week."

So how did they figure it out? Apparently some guy first noticed it reading on Facebook. "Until someone pointed it to him: Facebook. Movie buffs that after watching the original version were then returned to see (in other [theaters]) dubbed in Italian, and [the truth was revealed]. The Lumière ran for cover (also discovering that the rollers had been marked incorrectly by the distributors), but none, however, protested the 'creative' error." What an odd story. The article claims the Lumière in Bologna, Italy also had the same issue with Malick's The Thin Red Line when they showed that in 1998, but "noticed it almost immediately." I guess it just goes to show how the very abstract, surreal nature of the storytelling and imagery in The Tree of Life is so trippy, that it can play out of sequence and some unknowing audiences won't even realize it at all.

Next time, Malick needs to visit that theater in Italy himself to make sure everything is correct, as he's going to be quite unhappy if he ever hears this news. I don't think the instructions for projectionists helped either.
Old 06-11-11, 05:17 PM

Moved to the reviews thread.

Last edited by mhanlen1; 06-11-11 at 05:54 PM.
Old 06-11-11, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Giles View Post
oh here's an amusing online story regarding 'Tree of Life'

[i]Italian Cinema Shows 'Tree of Life' Out of Order and No One Notices
I could've watched Tree of Life out of order and wouldn't notice.

Spoiler:
Thought it was going to open with the big bang/dinosaurs scene.

Originally Posted by mhanlen1 View Post
Saw it yesterday during it's first showing in St. Louis. It was a mixed bag for me. Please, before you skewer me, I'm not a Terrence Malick hater. I've been looking forward to this movie for quite some time My first Malick movie was the Thin Red Line, and since then I've been hooked. What bothered me about the film?

The minor spoilers follow, that discuss the film's structure in general terms without revealing any major plot points.

Spoiler:
To me it seemed like there was quite a bit of retread of ideas in that film and also from the New World. I didn't particularly care for the voice over work in the film, I think mainly because a lot of it sounded thematically similar to the narration in the The Thin Red Line.

The good though? After the beginning of time section, and all the way up until the Sean Penn stuff near the end, it was pretty involving. The childhood scenes were all very nuanced, and well-observed. I identified with a lot of the stuff the kids went through, as I was one of five boys. For my money, it seemed like one of the better representations of a realistic childhood I've seen on film.

Anyway, the movie didn't gel for me the way his other films do. There were quite a few overly surrealistic touches for me, that didn't seem to fit with the realism of most of the middle of the movie. Also, while well shot, I wish the camera had been a little less "ADD" at times. I don't mind a wandering camera every now and again, but shot after shot of random panning (and then pans back) did get a little old at times.
You should post your thoughts in this thread.
Old 06-11-11, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post

You should post your thoughts in this thread.
Oopsy.
Old 06-13-11, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wake me up when people stop complaining about the voiceovers. It's a Malick movie. You should know going in it's going to be a lot of voiceovers.
Old 06-13-11, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Wake me up when people stop complaining about the voiceovers. It's a Malick movie. You should know going in it's going to be a lot of voiceovers.
I think you should wait to see the movie first.
Old 06-17-11, 09:52 AM
Banned

Terrence Malick Preparing Six-Hour Cut of ‘The Tree of Life’

With Terrence Malick‘s Palme d’Or winner The Tree of Life officially David Fincher and Christopher Nolan-approved, you may think he has hit the pinnacle of filmmaking and will call it quits. That is not the case, as he seems to have reached the busiest point in his sporadic career. There is his very experimental untitled romantic drama starring Ben Affleck and Rachel McAdams, then his IMAX supplement to The Tree of Life, The Voyage of Time. Then we recently reported there is another project he may be gearing up for this summer/fall. But with The Tree of Life clocking in at just 2 hours and 18 minutes, a tad short compared to his recent features, there may be more than we expected.

One of the most illustrious film magazines on the face of the earth, Les Cahiers du Cinéma, got a chance to talk to The Tree of Life team (minus Malick of course), and a fascinating detail emerged. Translated by nlvg of IMDb, cinematographer Emmanuel Lubezki (reportedly on the set of Alfonso Cuaron‘s currently shooting Gravity), revealed that after an initial cut of eight hours, Malick is currently in the process of making a six-hour version of the film. The additions would mostly focus on the middle portion of the film where we follow Jack (Hunter McCracken) as he grows up in 1950s Texas under the guidance of Brad Pitt and Jessica Chastain’s characters. Check out the translated excerpt below.

Does Malick think about editing when he’s filming ?

We speak about it almost everytime. But most of the ideas about the editing we share on the set don’t make the final cut.

We maybe have been shot 600.000 metres (around 370 miles) of film.

The first cut was 8 hours long. Terry is working on/preparing a 6 hours long version of the movie. What I’ve seen (of this) is absolutely incredible, it’s wonderful. The longer version will have to/will likely, for the most part, relate to the children part. There were outstanding things, we’ve shot many, many things about Jack’s childhood : his friends, his evolution, his changes, his awareness of the loss of his childhood. I don’t know if I’m supposed to say all of this !
There you have it. It comes to no surprise that Malick is still tinkering with the film. After all, with The Thin Red Line he ended up cutting out Billy Bob Thornton, Martin Sheen, Gary Oldman, Bill Pullman, Lukas Haas, Viggo Mortensen and Mickey Rourke from the film when he reduced it from five/six hours to its current runtime. I can’t imagine there any special cameos tucked away in this expanded version of The Tree of Life, but the sequence he is talking about extending is one of the most magical things I’ve ever witnessed in a theater. He is able to convey an entire childhood of memories in the span of ninety minutes or so. I can’t imagine the experience he could deliver if he multiplied that by five or six.

As for his next films, producer Dede Garner re-confirmed that The Voyage of Time is happening and they are currently working on the film Malick “has designed for IMAX theaters.” When asked about his untitled romantic drama, Lubezki reiterated the experimental style, saying “he [Malick] tries to move away from all the things cinema depends on…and he tries to find the purest way to make films.” His next film “isn’t more abstract, but it tries to be pure cinema. It is even less narrative, in the dramatic sense, than The Tree of Life. The method we use is more and more risky, perilous, destructive.” Count me in. Stay tuned for updates on all of Malick’s projects, even a possible extended edition of The Tree of Life.

You can see The Tree of Life in its current form in limited theaters, with a wide expansion on July 8th.

Well that's interesting

Last edited by Solid Snake; 06-17-11 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-17-11, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Haha, that's funny considering I was telling my friends that the middle part of the movie could've went on for 5 hours.
Old 06-17-11, 01:34 PM

I saw it last night and it already felt to me like it was about six hours long.

I can respect it as a piece of art, but for me it just dragged too much to be enjoyable.

At times it seemed like I was watching someone's very beautifully filmed home movies.
Old 06-25-11, 08:32 PM

Just saw this - brilliant film.
Old 11-08-11, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by georgec View Post
Just saw this - brilliant film.
I completely agree! Saw this tonight for the first time on Blu Ray and it just blew me away. I'm a HUGE fan of Mallick, but I think this is his best film to date. I hate throwing that "M" word around, but I think it could be his masterpiece. And if Emmanuel Lubezki doesn't win an Oscar for the best cinematography, I'm going to hurt someone. "The Tree of Life" is the year's best film (so far).
Old 11-08-11, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Terrence Malick obviously borrows a lot of ideas and visual cues from Brett Ratner, but this was a very good movie in it's own right.
Old 11-08-11, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Daytripper View Post
I completely agree! Saw this tonight for the first time on Blu Ray and it just blew me away. I'm a HUGE fan of Mallick, but I think this is his best film to date. I hate throwing that "M" word around, but I think it could be his masterpiece. And if Emmanuel Lubezki doesn't win an Oscar for the best cinematography, I'm going to hurt someone. "The Tree of Life" is the year's best film (so far).
I agree about the Oscar for Lubezki. He will win it.

The film isn't so hot in my opinion. Worth seeing just see what it's all about.

It needs a much better story in my opinion. Hell, why doesn't Malick just make a silent film.
Old 11-08-11, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper View Post
I agree about the Oscar for Lubezki. He will win it.

The film isn't so hot in my opinion. Worth seeing just see what it's all about.

It needs a much better story in my opinion. Hell, why doesn't Malick just make a silent film.
Haven't most of Malick's films been silent? Seriously, they're pretty much about the visuals. And "Life"? It's the same but you can't a better story. It's about love, life, death and faith.
Old 11-09-11, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finally saw this and I wanted to like it more than I did. Obviously it's a very beautiful movie, but I think it's slow even by his standards and after one viewing it's my least favorite of his. No way I'd watch a 6 hour cut even if I spaced it out.

I'll watch it again in the future though.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.