Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Maybe one of you Alien buffs can explain this ...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-05, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I watched Alien last night. It wasn't the first time, but it was the first time I got to wondering how the hell did it grow so big so fast without eating anything?? Its physically impossible.

What do they even feed on?
Old 06-17-05, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowmaker
I got to wondering how the hell did it grow so big so fast without eating anything?? Its physically impossible.
Well, it's an alien. No reason why it should have to adhere to the same set of rules we do. It's also possible that it ate off-screen. Whether or not an alien eats has no importance to the story, so there's no need to show it.
Old 06-17-05, 03:28 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It could of gotten into the ships food synthesizers (which contain pure protein/nutritional food elements) OR possibly, like a chicken, after they hatch they use an internal source of protein. A baby chick can live quite happily several days after hatching without eating, using its internal food from the egg.
Old 06-17-05, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also wonder why they didn't use mylar for protection against the acids. According to dupont, mylar is strong enough against the strongest acids for quite a long time May be not in Alien where the crew didn't know what they're up against, but in Aliens where the marines is going to destroy them. What, they can afford fancy body armor and weapon but no mylar suit?

OK, I'm nitpicking, but I have a point, don't I?
Old 06-17-05, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by eedoon
I also wonder why they didn't use mylar for protection against the acids. According to dupont, mylar is strong enough against the strongest acids for quite a long time May be not in Alien where the crew didn't know what they're up against, but in Aliens where the marines is going to destroy them. What, they can afford fancy body armor and weapon but no mylar suit?

OK, I'm nitpicking, but I have a point, don't I?
Well, it's an alien species with its own form of acidic blood...one can just assume that mylar or anything else we have is ineffective.

Though, with regards to Aliens, remember that the Marines didn't really take Weaver's warnings seriously.
Old 06-17-05, 04:03 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Theres lots of kinds of acids. I doubt mylar is resistant to all kinds, especially the alien type. I mean heck, the blood just ate thru, what, 3 floors of steel plating??
Old 06-17-05, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hmm. You got your point there. But at least a mylar suit should slow the corrosion down if they used one, even if it's only by a few notch.
Old 06-17-05, 04:41 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

If Dupont says its acid proof, maybe they mean you can use cleanser without rubbing off the mylar sticker? But yea, you think space marines would have some kind of plan for chemical attacks.
Old 06-17-05, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You'd think they might also have some baking soda and water on hand to neutralize the acid. I guess in the future they dont' have to keep their fridge as fresh.
Old 06-17-05, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by eedoon
Hmm. You got your point there. But at least a mylar suit should slow the corrosion down if they used one, even if it's only by a few notch.
So if someone throws acid at me, i can use either ballons or my comic book collection to shield me?
Old 06-17-05, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It ate the crews. Also, it's possible that some of the ship's cargo are animals in hybernation.
Old 06-17-05, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Maybe it doesn't need to eat. It didn't eat the cat.
Old 06-18-05, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
If Dupont says its acid proof, maybe they mean you can use cleanser without rubbing off the mylar sticker? But yea, you think space marines would have some kind of plan for chemical attacks.
They're saying it resist most kind of acid - including those that corrode metals and other plastics.

Anyway, I do think that space marines should be better prepared for attacking those aliens. There should be someone invented stuff that is more resistant to acid than mylar in that era.
Old 06-18-05, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by devilshalo
So if someone throws acid at me, i can use either ballons or my comic book collection to shield me?
Of course. You can also use umbrella or a raincoat just to be sure.