Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

High Tension! (May include spoilers)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-05, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spoiler:
I just saw "High Tension". Please tell me if Im right. All along, Alex was being
taken away by her friend. Right? She killed her friends' family, right? The
murderous man was how she saw herself right? When they where in the
woods together fighting (man and Alex's friend) Meant that she was
struggling with herself, right?

Please correct me if I'm wrong> Thanks

[Edited to fix spoiler tags. D-]

Last edited by Dead; 06-13-05 at 07:24 AM.
Old 06-12-05, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

SPOILER TAGS NEEDED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-12-05, 10:15 PM

And yes...
Old 06-12-05, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Haven't seen the movie. But I'm sick of these personality-placement twists. It was fucking incredible in Fight Club, and really good in Identity.

I'll watch this sooner or later. But that ending is just so blah.
Old 06-12-05, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Oh, and about the spoiler... I don't really care. It was on AMC's critics show anyways. And this kind of twist was EXACTLY what I had in mind. It's so tired.
Old 06-12-05, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When you anounce it in the title that there's a twist ending, that's a spoiler in itself.

Though to answer your question, they were in modern day time and he was really her dead father, obi wan didn't tell her.
Old 06-12-05, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not placed in spoiler warning since this whole thread is about the twist in the film,which is a spoiler anyway. So read at your own risk

Spoiler:
Also you can say Marie was telling her distored version of things since she asked "Are you recording?" at the very begining,which points to her being interviewed in the mental ward.

So yes the murders are real,they really happened,but certain other things were made up(ie-Marie tracking down the killer,which is just her save the day fantasy in her twisted mind).

[Edited to add spoiler tags. D-]

Last edited by Dead; 06-13-05 at 07:28 AM.
Old 06-12-05, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Can the mods please change the title or something?
Old 06-12-05, 11:36 PM

What part of "Twist AT End" do people not get? It's obvious a major spoiler will be discussed in this thread
Old 06-12-05, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I mean for people browsing around movie talk. Some person who hasn't seen it will now know there's a twist at the end. Kinda ruins the movie when you're looking for either
A. The best friend did it.
B. He/She is a ghost
C. The person isn't even real
D. Vader is actually Luke's father
E. The missing ingridient is love.
Old 06-12-05, 11:52 PM

Really, what else could they do? Every other slasher device is used. The first act is the suspense, second act is the chase, and the third act is the twist.

That the filmmakers relish in the twist, play it very sincere, shows they don't give a crap about tidying up anything. It turns the film into an exercise in Grand Guignol tactics (though even that direction is confirmed early on with the screen introduction of the 'killer').

This all limits the end-product and any cumulative effect of the whole movie. But in its execution and . . . enthusiasm for lack of a better word, it's effective and exciting.

At least on the initial viewing. I have yet to see the U.S. release, but I plan on viewing the original cut again just to see how others react.
Old 06-13-05, 12:00 AM

Oh, there's a twist at the end? Well that's good to know, since I haven't seen the film yet.

-JP
Old 06-13-05, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
What part of "Twist AT End" do people not get? It's obvious a major spoiler will be discussed in this thread
High Tension. Twist at end. Wow, I was amazed at the way the ending twisted. I enjoyed that. Anyone care to talk about it?

^
hmm, I was able to talk about that subject without using spoilers. And they said it couldn't be done!
Old 06-13-05, 12:55 AM

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts
I think I read that Dean Koontz wrote a novel called INTENSITY that was based on this movie. So, I guess if you read the book you'll find all the answers to your questions.
Old 06-13-05, 05:05 AM

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
While I might agree the thread title is unfortunate (although it hasn't really been kept very secret in any write-ups about the film-just the actual twist hasn't been revealed), if you actually clicked on this thread you were kind of asking for it. "Hmm, I haven't seen the film and there's apparently a twist ending from the title of the thread. What are the chances that although the poster was indiscrete with the title, he will not reveal the twist in the thread that I don't want to know in the first place?"

Now I've been guilty of revealing what I believed to be a well known spoiler from a 30 year old film, but honestly, what did you really think was going to be discussed in this thread? At BEST, "Oh, what did you think of the
Spoiler:
twist
?" What would you get out of that conversation? You can't add to it. You don't want to know what the "twist" is so why take the chance?
Old 06-13-05, 05:08 AM

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Oh, and Latin Brando. The second spoiler bracket needs to say /spoiler or it doesn't make the tag right.
Old 06-13-05, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Has there been a suspense film in the last 7 years that didn't have a twist ending?
Old 06-13-05, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

right right right right right right right right right?

right?

Jesus tits.
Old 06-13-05, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Jack, thanks for pointing out the "Are you recording" part, as it helps explain away why the events were so nonsensical.

Sundog, if they really wanted to shock us in the tradition of Grand Guignol, they should have
Spoiler:
shown the kid getting blown away.
That's what made Man Bites Dog a more effective film, although it's a compeltely different genre and tone.
Old 06-13-05, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by rabbit77
sundog, if they really wanted to shock us in the tradition of Grand Guignol, they should have. . .
Well, you can damn the film for that one moment of 'restraint' I guess. But the tone, the narrative progression, and the absolute insistence on sincere exploitation throughout the film point to an exercise in Grand Guignol (as I said in my original post).

The filmmakers could have made the movie much more horrific by going down different avenues. But they chose the exploitive route and stuck to their guns, creating an interesting product, even if only in its execution (no pun intended).

That's what made Man Bites Dog a more effective film, although it's a compeltely different genre and tone.
Which makes me question why you would bring it up or why it draws comparison to Haute Tension, other than both being French language films featuring multiple homicides. Haute Tension bathes in genre conventions and Man Bites Dog subverts those conventions, two different films, two completely different directions.
Old 06-13-05, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I brought up Man Bites Dog because it's another example of a film where you ask out loud, "whoa, they're going to kill that kid too?" But that film didn't pull any punches when they killed him.

I'm not damning the film because of that anyway. I was disappointed with the film for not having a worthy protagonist, and for being sloppy. Halfway through I stopped caring about Marie, and started rooting for the killer, and then the plot went and pissed on my head.

I need to apply "form follows function" here, and the base story couldn't stand on its own to merit appreciation of its style, as visceral as it was, for me.
Old 06-13-05, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Any review you read of this movie mentions there's a twist. So, why is it a big deal?
Old 06-13-05, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by rabbit77
I need to apply "form follows function" here, and the base story couldn't stand on its own to merit appreciation of its style, as visceral as it was, for me.
Well said.

For me, when a film's plot drive and characterizations turn to mush (as such happens in Haute Tension, though I believe it's intentional) I turn ALL of my focus on the form and leave the classical narrative devices to wither and die.

More often than not I really do not care what happens in movies, I care how it happens.
Old 06-13-05, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
You know, I was interested in eventually renting this film until I saw this thread. It's bad enough there's a twist but then that the twist is one that's been done quite well in the past and needlessly copied now... I'll wait 'til it's on TV.
Old 06-13-05, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Any review you read of this movie mentions there's a twist. So, why is it a big deal?
I don't know, maybe you don't read reviews to avoid spoilers? Maybe you don't want to read a spoiler (yes, knowing that there's a twist at the end is a spoiler) in the thread title?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.