DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   40-Year-Old Virgin (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/426495-40-year-old-virgin.html)

mikeporter 06-12-05 09:16 AM

40-Year-Old Virgin

Trailer

I think it looks okay. Your thoughts?

Forum Troll 06-12-05 09:26 AM

:thmbsdwn: :fart: :yack: :why: :confused: :sad: :wacko:

Ketamine 06-12-05 09:46 AM

Looks really good.

scott shelton 06-12-05 11:43 AM

I'm no fan of Mr. Steve, but this could work.

Groucho 06-12-05 11:48 AM

Finally, a film aimed directly at DVDTalkers!

Troy Stiffler 06-12-05 12:43 PM

I like it!

Al_Tahoe 06-12-05 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho

:lol:

Forum Troll, but how do you really feel about it?

mookiemeister 06-12-05 01:04 PM

The movie sounds interesting. I'll probably catch it sometimes when it becomes available on DVD.

Scotts35 06-12-05 01:34 PM

I've laughed at the poster numerous times, the trailer doesn't quite do the concept justice though.

mikewendt 06-12-05 02:01 PM

Eh... Looks okay. I guess we'll know how far they can push the jokes when the rating is released.

Third Baseman 06-12-05 03:25 PM

I like Carell. I'm t here.

Jericho 06-12-05 03:34 PM

Judd Apatow being involved makes it pretty interesting to me. The trailer was kinda blah, but I do think it has good potential

movieking 06-12-05 06:56 PM

It looks good to me. With Rudd & Carrell, I'll be there :up:

das Monkey 06-12-05 07:24 PM

Groucho

Whatever. I'm only 37.

das

Jackskeleton 06-12-05 09:05 PM

Thanks to a dvdtalker, I saw it. I loved it. Loved it isn't a good enough word for this flick.

LOOOOOOVED IT! It's a Hard R in every way and it was just fantastic. Laughed my fuck'n ass off.

Carrell was in top form. the jokes really were rolling and it took all those little good moments of anchor man and magnified them over the whole film. You guys will love this, quote it and remember the laughs for a good long time.

atari2600 06-13-05 01:18 PM

looks great!

Matthew Chmiel 06-13-05 02:18 PM

I've heard nothing but positive things from the test screenings that Universal has been holding and with both Apatow and Carrell involved, this film cannot be bad.

Perkinsun Dzees 06-13-05 09:54 PM

I'd rather see "26-Year-Old Virgin" with Katie Holmes!

Squirrel God 06-13-05 10:23 PM

I'll try it. Has potential.

You can just imagine the DVD special edition titles they'll come up with .....

Matthew Chmiel 07-27-05 03:03 PM

I saw a preview of this last night and this is the film that Wedding Crashers was trying to be and failed at. The film, with Judd Apatow brilliantly at helm, is able to mesh the crude sex comedy genre with the romantic comedy genre and he holds nothing back. While Wedding Crashers was a two hour film that had more plot than "laugh out loud" moments, Apatow and Steve Carrell are able to keep the film's two hour running time at a kinetic pace flowing in from joke to joke while still being able to maintain a genuine, down-to-earth plot. Then again, Apatow is the man who brought Freaks and Geeks and Undeclared to the world. Basically, it's no shock that the film has a very down-to-earth charm; it just makes one more being able to indentify with the characters more than Vince Vaughn, Owen Wilson, and the unlikeable supporting cast of Wedding Crashers. It also helps that the "bigger" laughs in the film are actually plausible in real life and are not just a work of fiction. There's no midnight rapes and over-the-top gay characters in this film. Nope. Just regular people trying to help someone (who happens to be like a few people on this board) get laid.

One of the major problems I had with Wedding Crashers was that Vaughn was the only funny person in the film. Everybody else was simply not and there was a lot of wasted talent. With 40 Year Old Virgin, Carrell is not the only person here to get the biggest laughs. The supporting cast give it their all as well. Paul Rudd, Seth Rogen (an Apatow alumni), and Romany Malco are fucking superb as Andy's co-workers and Catherine Keener is very likeable as Carrell's love interest.

Also, similar to last year's Anchorman (another Apatow production), there's quite a bit of footage in both trailers (the American and the racier international one) that is not present in the final film. So I'm hoping we get a DVD with quite a bit of deleted and alternate footage. And by how raunchy the film is already, I'm pretty sure we'll see an unrated cut as well... ;)

One more thing to mention: the last five minutes of the film do a complete 180. While my friend and I were almost near tears during the last five minutes, the entire theater became dead silent while going, "What the fuck was that?" I thought the film's ending was a perfect way to end a film (and it's a fucking brilliant way to end a comedy), but some others didn't get the joke. If you want in on the joke...

Spoiler:
Just make sure you have knowledge of a specific Milos Forman musical from the '70s.

This is and probably will end up being one of the best comedies of the year and if I hear anyone say, "Wedding Crashers was better," I will throw it down with you.

PixyJunket 07-27-05 03:31 PM

The poster for this movie is brilliant and I can't even explain why.

Groucho 07-27-05 03:46 PM

I saw it. Wedding Crashers was better.

Matthew Chmiel 07-27-05 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
I saw it. Wedding Crashers was better.

Uh oh. ;) :)

B.A. 07-28-05 09:19 AM

I'm getting sick of waiting already - particularly now that they are starting to run the trailers over the past week on that pesky television.

Troy Stiffler 07-28-05 10:05 AM

I'm excited to see it. I'm hoping for something like Anchorman (or any movie from the Ben Stiller/Vince Vaughn/Will Farrell writing-crowd). Something that takes time with it's comedy, and rushes the romance. I love it when movies don't deteriorate into sappy romance. Remember that Jim Carrey and Jennifer Aniston movie? Not my style.

Oh, and Steven Carell is hilarious. It's kind of surreal to be an avid "The Daily Show" watcher, and see him come so far. Carrying his own movie and a (failed?) TV series - jjust a year or two after leaving? Good for him!