Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Mortal Kombat (2021, D: McQuoid, P: James Wan)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Mortal Kombat (2021, D: McQuoid, P: James Wan)

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-05, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMDB credits that guy Moriarty from Aint it Cool News (Drew McWeeney) as being the writer of this.

If this movie is half as good as that website, the movie will be, um....really blandly designed?
Old 08-05-05, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

what else could christopher lambert be doing that he wouldn't do this...
Old 08-05-05, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mndtrp
I'm down for another Mortal Kombat movie. I wouldn't see it in the theater, but I'd rent it. The soundtracks are pretty good, as well.
The soundtracks for these movies rocked back then. I listened to the CD for the first one constantly for about 4 months while on band trips in high school. The second was almost as good and I played the hell out of it too.

I'm up for a 3rd movie. I would rent it for sure or blind but it is it was cheap enough.
Old 08-05-05, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought Mortal Kombat 1 was great, but Mortal Kombat 2 is quite possibly the worst movie ever made. If a Mortal Kombat 3 is made, I pray to god it resembles the first movie's quality.
Old 08-05-05, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
I second that sentiment.
Old 08-05-05, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Originally Posted by Cameron
what else could christopher lambert be doing that he wouldn't do this...
Highlander: Continuity Be Damned. Although, I believe that's the working title all those sequels have used at one point.
Old 08-06-05, 12:44 AM
Suspended

I too loved the first one, but thought the second one was terrible. I hope the 3rd one doesn't resemble the quality of the 2nd film if it's made.
Old 08-06-05, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What if the 3rd one makes the 2nd one look like Citizen Kane?
Old 08-06-05, 04:49 AM

Since Bridgette Wilson-Sampras won't be back as Sonya, you're going to get a bit of the 2nd movie's suck right off the bat when Sandra Hess flounces onto the screen instead.

Other than that, if they make a movie which is actually pretty fun and doesn't take itself too seriously the way the first movie was, they might do all right. Personally my expections aren't terribly high, as Paul W.S. Anderson is busy making s***ty movies like Alien Vs. Predator instead of doing what he does best, which is low-budget videogame movies.
Old 08-06-05, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Seantn
IMDB credits that guy Moriarty from Aint it Cool News (Drew McWeeney) as being the writer of this.

If this movie is half as good as that website, the movie will be, um....really blandly designed?
And it doesn't bode well for the script, either.
Old 08-10-15, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts
Re: Mortal Kombat : Devasation

Furious 7 Director James Wan Joins The Mortal Kombat Reboot
By Dirk Libbey

It looks like there’s no fatality that can keep the Mortal Kombat film franchise down. While there have been attempts to get the movies going again we haven’t seen anything on the big screen since 1997. Now however, there’s a big name involved in rebooting the movies who has earned himself a lot of Hollywood credibility recently. Furious 7 director James Wan is on board to produce the new film.

The Tracking Board has the details that Wan, who directed the fifth highest grossing movie of all time, should be able to bring some new life to the perpetually stalled project. The movie is being written by David Callaham (The Expendables) and Oren Uziel, who wrote the short film Mortal Kombat: Rebirth which spawned the well-received web series Mortal Kombat: Legacy.

The film will be a standalone reboot not connected to the previous films or the web series. Interestingly, it also doesn’t look to hold a great deal of connection to the game series, being called a "departure from the mythology." Hopefully it won’t be a major departure from the mythology if they expect to bring in the serious fans. They are promising brutal martial arts action, so they are keeping the most important part.

The first Mortal Kombat game was released in 1992 and each one focuses on a martial arts tournament made up of people as well as creatures from other realms. The first Mortal Kombat movie was released in 1995 and a follow-up, subtitled Annihilation followed two years later. There had been plans for a third movie but those eventually died off. The game series has continued on nearly uninterrupted, even after the bankruptcy of the original developer. The most recent game in the series, Mortal Kombat X has been receiving generally positive reviews, which likely has also helped build interest in reviving the films.

In addition to his recent work on Furious 7 Wan has also worked on films like The Conjuring and the Insidious series, so he has an eye for darkness as well as action. Those two elements should work well together in a potential Mortal Kombat movie. While it would be great to have Wan direct the movie himself, the next best option is to have Wan be the guy who picks the director.

While we’re not holding our breath to see anything come from this soon, James Wan is one of Hollywood’s "it" people right now, so he has the ability to make wheels turn just by standing near them. If he can't make this movie happen it's hard to think of what could. Are you excited to see a new Mortal Kombat movie in the works?
Old 08-10-15, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Mortal Kombat : Devasation

Departure from the mythology
Old 08-10-15, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
re: Mortal Kombat (2021, D: McQuoid, P: James Wan)

There's more to the mythology than a group of guys and gals and a tournament?
Old 08-10-15, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm not a huge fan or anything, but it's actually pretty deep
Old 08-10-15, 02:00 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah. it has a lot of story to it. May not be good for the most part but it is fun.
Old 11-21-16, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

NOVEMBER 18, 2016 5:47pm PT by Aaron Couch
'Mortal Kombat' Reboot Finds Its Director

Mortal Kombat is ready for a new round.

Simon McQuoid is in talks to direct the big-screen reboot of the videogame franchise, Heat Vision has confirmed.

James Wan is producing the reboot for New Line, the studio behind both the 1995 film that became a surprise hit and its less-than-stellar 1997 follow-up, Mortal Kombat: Annihilation. Larry Kasanoff, who produced the original films and helped extend the Mortal Kombat brand to new heights, is executive producing.

McQuoid comes from the world of commercials and helmed a well-liked Star Wars spot for Duracell last year and also is known for work with brands such as Nissan, Samsung and HP.

The 1995 Mortal Kombat movie is still remembered as breaking the "videogame curse," being the first adaptation to be embraced by fans and become a hit at the box office. It told the story of Liu Kang (Robin Shou), Johnny Cage (Linden Ashby) and Sonya Blade (Bridgette Wilson-Sampras), who fought for the fate of humanity in a life-or-death tournament.

Director Paul W.S. Anderson would go on to find success with the Resident Evil series, but at the time was an unknown filmmaker. Mortal Kombat reigned at No. 1 for three weekends in a row at the U.S. box office and grossed $122 million worldwide.

"Robin would rate the fights," Anderson told Heat Vision last year about the brutal stunts his star put himself through. "They would be a one, a two or a three. That would refer to how many ribs he bruised when he did the fight."
For more on the original Mortal Kombat, read our oral history, which chronicles all the broken bones and screaming executives the cast and crew weathered to make the hit.

McQuoid is repped by WME.
Old 11-21-16, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 422 Likes on 305 Posts

I hope any big screen reboot will be true to the actual video game by making it rated R. The first two movies always felt neutered with a PG-13 rating.
Old 11-21-16, 08:32 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Based on the industry now. They'd need to do this under 100 million for it to be R. Unless the concept that convinces the execs is REALLY REALLY fucking good. And depending where they film it... that can happen. Close to no big names, if any. Probably get Scott Adkins in there for something.

It can happen but depends on what kind of freedom they have.
Old 11-21-16, 08:36 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Scott Adkins is the new Christopher Lambert. He'd be the perfect Raiden. He could even use the same accent Lambert perfected.
Old 03-07-19, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: ‘Mortal Kombat’ Reboot Interested In Joel Edgerton As Kano; Character List Update

The Mortal Kombat reboot not only hopes to begin shooting in Australia this summer, but also add an Aussie actor.
It’s been over 20 years since a Mortal Kombat film has hit theaters. But the long wait for another live-action adaptation of this immensely popular video game could soon be over as New Line prepares to tell it’s fans to “get over here” once again — a comeback after Paul Anderson’s Mortal Kombat in 1995 and it’s 1997 sequel, Mortal Kombat: Annihilation.

The Mortal Kombat reboot, which has been spearheaded by producer James Wan and his Atomic Monster production company, looks to not only introduce a new character into the franchise but will also bring back some franchise favorites. With Simon Mcquoid locked in direct and a completed script by Greg Russo, the movie’s production is closer than it’s ever been before.

Warner Bros.’ New Line Cinema division has been trying to reboot the Mortal Kombat movie franchise for some time. At one point, Mortal Kombat: Legacy director Kevin Tancharoen was attached to the project but dropped out in 2013. In 2015, New Line brought in director James Wan (Saw, Insidious) to produce the reboot, with writers Dave Callaham (Doom, The Expendables) and Oren Uziel (Mortal Kombat: Legacy, 22 Jump Street) attached to write.

Then in 2016 James Wan brought on popular commercial Director Simon Mcquoid to helm the reboot. The Australian filmmaker was one of the most in-demand commercials directors in the business, working on high-profile campaigns for PlayStation, Halo, Range Rover, Beats by Dre, and other top brands.

Although the Mortal Kombat reboot is in final stages before being fully green-lit, it apparently has it’s eyes on an actor that can help bring Outworld back to the big screen.
EXCLUSIVE: 'Mortal Kombat' Reboot Interested In Joel Edgerton As Kano; Character List Update - That Hashtag Show
Old 03-07-19, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh.. I can see Edgerton as Kano, though I don't think his is a big enough name they want to attract audiences with.
Old 03-07-19, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

IDK, is star power as important at the box office nowadays?
Old 03-07-19, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

They need to get some real martial arts choreographers for this. Can you imagine a Mortal Kombat film with the fight scenes from The Raid?
Old 03-07-19, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 349 Likes on 268 Posts

I still think the first film is the best video game film ever.
Old 05-14-19, 09:09 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

James Wan-Produced ‘Mortal Kombat’ Movie is Finally Happening, With Simon McQuoid Directing
https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/...oid-directing/

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.