DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Mortal Kombat (2021, D: McQuoid, P: James Wan) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/426486-mortal-kombat-2021-d-mcquoid-p-james-wan.html)

DJariya 05-03-21 11:57 AM

Re: Mortal Kombat (2021, D: McQuoid, P: James Wan)

Second week box office dropped 73%. I guess due to the not so glowing reviews, many passed on going to the theaters during week 2 and just chose HBO Max.

spainlinx0 05-05-21 10:02 AM

This one was kind of a dud. It had good fight scenes, but somehow took itself too seriously, and not seriously enough. There's also some really bad acting in this. I would watch a sequel, but probably won't ever go back to this one.

Rob V 05-05-21 12:45 PM

The acting was syfy channel bad (especially the wooden woman who played Sonya Blade)... Not sure the plot was strong enough but some solid actors could have really given this movie some credence -- much like having Liam Neeson and Taylor Whatshisname in Battleship.

milo bloom 05-05-21 01:15 PM

Yeah, I was really disappointed by Sonya Blade, Bridgette Wilson from 1995 had so much more presence.

Draven 05-05-21 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom (Post 13930001)
Yeah, I was really disappointed by Sonya Blade, Bridgette Wilson from 1995 had so much more presence.

I don't know why they struggle so much with that character - I rewatched Annihilation this weekend just to remember how bad it was (it's the worst by far) and the new person they cast there too, Sandra Hess, is downright terrible.

Like, there has to be a blond stuntwoman out there who has way more acting ability and can do their own fighting. Really weird.

Noonan 05-05-21 01:53 PM

Jessie Graff from American Ninja Warrior should be Sonya.

GoldenJCJ 05-05-21 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Noonan (Post 13930024)
Jessie Graff from American Ninja Warrior should be Sonya.

Well, we know that acting ability isn’t factored into the casting process. Might as well give her the role.

Did Zoe Bell retire? She may be a little too old now but I always imagined her as a good Sonya.

Draven 05-05-21 05:27 PM

I first became really aware of her because she does Scarlett Johansson's Black Widow stunts, but Heid Moneymaker is such a logical choice:

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...fbc6fd11e4.jpg

milo bloom 05-05-21 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Draven (Post 13930124)
I first became really aware of her because she does Scarlett Johansson's Black Widow stunts, but Heid Moneymaker is such a logical choice:

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...fbc6fd11e4.jpg

Ok, put her in some camo fatigues and an old cap and we’ve got a Sonya Blade.

Obi-Wanma 05-06-21 09:04 AM

She looks the part and I'm sure she can do the fights, but as far as acting, do we know that she is any better than what we've had?

I mean there's probably a reason that she's a stuntwoman and not an actress.

Draven 05-06-21 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni (Post 13930294)
She looks the part and I'm sure she can do the fights, but as far as acting, do we know that she is any better than what we've had?

I mean there's probably a reason that she's a stuntwoman and not an actress.

Again, the actors they cast are already poor and can't fight at all on camera. She can't be worse AND she is one of the best female stunt-fighters working today. Let's at least try the experiment :)

Bluelitespecial 05-11-21 01:59 PM

Well Screen Junkies usually waits until the Blu-ray release but with HBO Max I guess we get the Honest Trailer early.

Eric F 05-11-21 06:13 PM

I watched this over the weekend and thought it was all kind of silly. I mean I expected it but it was pretty bad.

Mortal Kombat Legends Scorpion's Revenge

I saw Scorpion's Revenge a few weeks back and it was a much better film.

bluetoast 05-12-21 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 13930093)
Well, we know that acting ability isn’t factored into the casting process. Might as well give her the role.

Did Zoe Bell retire? She may be a little too old now but I always imagined her as a good Sonya.

Let’s keep Zoe Bell relegated to minor roles in Tarantino movies if possible. Even that’s being generous. Stunts? Sure. Acting? Fuck no.

Draven 05-13-21 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by bluetoast (Post 13932910)
Let’s keep Zoe Bell relegated to minor roles in Tarantino movies if possible. Even that’s being generous. Stunts? Sure. Acting? Fuck no.

Again, cannot be worse than Sonya in Annihilation. The bar is sitting on the ground.

IBJoel 05-13-21 09:53 AM

My girlfriend's friends rented out a theater, so last night, 20 of us (all vaxxed except two people) saw this. The movie is stupid as Hell, but I really enjoyed it. A big part of that enjoyment was definitely from just being in a movie theater again and especially being able to talk over the movie a little (the majority of people just went to see friends and didn't really know or care about the movie) and have a chuckle about all the references from the games they put in.

DaveyJoe 05-14-21 11:02 PM

This was really cheesy, but ultra violent. It felt like old school action schlock from the 80s, which is kind of perfect because that's what the original game was inspired by. I'd watch a sequel.

dsa_shea 05-15-21 07:59 PM

It was ultra-violent but felt like riding a bike with the wheels off the ground. Setting up the next movie is not always the best idea.

davidh777 05-17-21 01:11 PM

Good fight scenes, but pretty meh overall. I haven’t seen the earlier movies or played the games (or any fighting games, really), so I’m not the best judge.

DJariya 05-17-21 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777 (Post 13934690)
Good fight scenes, but pretty meh overall. I haven’t seen the earlier movies or played the games (or any fighting games, really), so I’m not the best judge.

and here I thought you kept up with pop culture. ;)

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...95b8e93157.gif

Abob Teff 05-20-21 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13925246)
They're saving it for the sequel. :D

Round 2: Fight!

Originally Posted by candyrocket786 (Post 13925279)
Maybe Shang Tsung can do more fighting and less talking in the sequel.

Round 1: Chat!

Originally Posted by Michael T Hudson (Post 13925452)
Started this last night and struggling to finish it today.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...badae518c7.gif

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 13926577)
They should've had solos films for the characters before putting them together in this . :(

:lol:

Hmmm ... the MKU ...

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 13927135)
Outworld needs a mass transit system, dentists and showers. A solid infrastructure plan in general.

Outworld is ... Mississippi?

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 13927731)
#Releasethemquoidcut

Cut the McQuoid release.

Did anybody else have an issue with the fact that they finally got Raiden right, but then cast Ryan Reynolds as Kung Lao?
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...02ec47d4fd.jpg

Runaway 05-21-21 02:55 AM

This movie more than stupid, but I watched with some friends and we had a really great time. Most of the acting is terrible, the editing is even worse, but it still was a lot of fun. Kano was by far the outstanding character and I hope they bring him back if there's a sequel.

MLBFan24 03-11-23 09:43 PM

Finally watched this movie and the 1995 film is much better (and still my favorite video game movie).

The 1995 film has superior casting and soundtrack. Maybe this 2021 film has better fight choreography.

The Scorpion and Sub-Zero entrance in the 1995 film is still badass.

RocShemp 03-11-23 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by mndtrp (Post 13929027)
Having Kung Lao and Sub Zero die was kind of surprising, but I know that Sub Zero comes back, at least in name.

Not just in name. Bi-Han, the first Sub-Zero, is resurrected as Noob Saibot. Meanwhile, Kuai Liang enters the second Mortal Kombat tournament under the name Sub-Zero.

As for this movie, I mostly enjoyed it. However, Cole Young is a worthless character and Lewis Tan should have played Johnny Cage instead. Any established MK character could have serves as audience surrogate. Heck, Sonya Blade, Johnny Cage, and Liu Kang all served that purpose in the 1995 movie. To be honest, I watched this movie because of Hiroyuki Sanada and Joe Taslim. But it was Josh Lawson who stole the show as Kano. Should have made the whole movie from his POV and have him save Earthrelm despite his worst intentions.

EDIT: Also, for those who want to recast Sonya, how about Camille Osborne? Dunno if she can act, but she sure can fight.

Bluelitespecial 03-12-23 11:02 AM

I hope the sequel is still in development and sure there were some minor complaints from me it wasn't bad like Mortal Kombat Anihilation.