Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Box Office - June 10 - 12, 2005

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-05, 11:21 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Friday...

MR. AND MRS SMITH 18.6

MADAGASCAR 5.0

LONGEST YARD 4.4

STAR WARS: EPISODE III - REVENGE OF THE SITH 4.0

ADVENTURES OF SHARK BOY & LAVA GIRL 3.9

CINDERELLA MAN 2.9

SISTERHOOD OF THE TRAVELING PANTS 2.0

HONEYMOONERS 1.8

MONSTER-IN-LAW .9

LORDS OF DOGTOWN .7

Last edited by scott shelton; 06-11-05 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-11-05, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Wow. That's a huge Friday take for Mr. and Mrs. Smith. More than I expected.
Old 06-11-05, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Dammnn.
Old 06-11-05, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Holy Crap, Angelina Jolie was in a movie that made money! Her curse couldn't bring down Brad Pitt & Co.

alright, I kid, I kid...
Old 06-11-05, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jericho
Holy Crap, Angelina Jolie was in a movie that made money! Her curse couldn't bring down Brad Pitt & Co.

alright, I kid, I kid...
Funny how neither Angelina Jolie nor Brad Pitt seem to be "huge" Box Office draws.. all things considered.

...that said, Pitt has definitely been in the better movies of the two.

Last edited by RichC2; 06-11-05 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-11-05, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Wow, I guess all of the off camera publicity did not affect the box office gross. Good to see that.

BTW, with the Friday estimate, this movie may be on track for a $45 million plus opening.
Old 06-11-05, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Wow. How badly did Lords of Dogtown tank.
Old 06-11-05, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And thus proves, that McDonalds and round the clock advertising on childerns tv's will not mean that a film is a success. Robert Rodriguez, stick to movies for everyone else but your kids.

Lods of dogtown really did tank badly.
Old 06-11-05, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Cinderella Man really did take a bad hit. Guess no one likes what the critics have to say about that one.
Old 06-11-05, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Cinderella Man really did take a bad hit. Guess no one likes what the critics have to say about that one.
That or the mainstream is hating Mr. Crowe after recent, violent antics.
Old 06-11-05, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Mr. & Mrs. Smith is certainly "doomed" with a $50 million opening weekend. A lot of people were probably turned off by finding out that Lords of Dogtown is a skateboarding movie.
Old 06-11-05, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Wow, great take for The Honeymooners.
Old 06-11-05, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

From what I hear, they couldn't even do the classic line about hitting alice to the moon. What kind of bullshit is that? Just call it something else since it's clearly not the honeymooners.
Old 06-11-05, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

High Tension bombed hard as well, sad, I actually like that flick.
Old 06-11-05, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow at M&M Smith. I was thinking $30-35m opener tops.
Old 06-11-05, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
High Tension bombed hard as well, sad, I actually like that flick.
That's what happens when you promise fans you'll release it uncut and subbed, but at the last minute, change your mind promptly fucking over the fans...
Old 06-11-05, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
That's what happens when you promise fans you'll release it uncut and subbed, but at the last minute, change your mind promptly fucking over the fans...
Somehow i don't think that would have made a huge difference as far as box office totals go though.
Old 06-11-05, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Somehow i don't think that would have made a huge difference as far as box office totals go though.
If Lions Gate would've released it NC-17 and promoted it just right, the film might've done decently. Who knows, adults might've been interested that an NC-17 horror film was actually going to be released to theaters.

If Showgirls proved anything, you can release an NC-17 film and have it make some money. Hell, on top of that, you can release it on over 800 screens. What did Lions Gate do? Basically kill the film before it arrived. They had the internet to promote the film, there are numerous sci-fi/horror/fantasy conventions they could've pimped the flick at, and so on and so on. Fuck, they could've had some controversy just for the fact that it would've been a balls-to-the-wall NC-17 film actually released to theaters. However, in the end, they pussied out. Hopefully, if there is a God, Lions Gate will go bankrupt in a few years. Christ, they're worse than Gramercy when it comes to promoting a film that could actually make money.
Old 06-11-05, 03:20 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That or the mainstream is hating Mr. Crowe after recent, violent antics.

I actually don't think the 'phone incident' is having much of an effect on the film's grosses, one way or another. I think perhaps it was released too early in the summer and its' kind of gotten lost in the crowd. Might've been better off releasing this in mid to late July, like "Road to Perdition' and "Seabiscuit" were. If it can pull out a big jump on Saturday, its' long term B.O. prospects might still be about what was expected. At this point though, that's starting to look unlikely.

Still, I would expect this will be a movie that people will discover later on, and it should do well sales/rental wise when it hits DVD.
Old 06-11-05, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dave B
I actually don't think the 'phone incident' is having much of an effect on the film's grosses, one way or another. I think perhaps it was released too early in the summer and its' kind of gotten lost in the crowd. Might've been better off releasing this in mid to late July, like "Road to Perdition' and "Seabiscuit" were. If it can pull out a big jump on Saturday, its' long term B.O. prospects might still be about what was expected. At this point though, that's starting to look unlikely.

Still, I would expect this will be a movie that people will discover later on, and it should do well sales/rental wise when it hits DVD.
The problem is that Cinderella Man screams "OSCAR CONTENDER," but Universal should've honestly released this in the fall and not the summer. It may have made money if it was released in late July, but who knows at this point? Putting it in between Episode 3 and Batman Begins was a big mistake on Universal's part and unless it doesn't make a huge jump on Saturday, we can pretty much dismiss the film for the rest of it's theatrical run.

However, we all know that it'll find it's audience on DVD if it continues to do worse in theaters.
Old 06-11-05, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow I was really wrong.
Old 06-11-05, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
If Lions Gate would've released it NC-17 and promoted it just right, the film might've done decently. Who knows, adults might've been interested that an NC-17 horror film was actually going to be released to theaters.

If Showgirls proved anything, you can release an NC-17 film and have it make some money. Hell, on top of that, you can release it on over 800 screens. What did Lions Gate do? Basically kill the film before it arrived. They had the internet to promote the film, there are numerous sci-fi/horror/fantasy conventions they could've pimped the flick at, and so on and so on. Fuck, they could've had some controversy just for the fact that it would've been a balls-to-the-wall NC-17 film actually released to theaters. However, in the end, they pussied out. Hopefully, if there is a God, Lions Gate will go bankrupt in a few years. Christ, they're worse than Gramercy when it comes to promoting a film that could actually make money.
But most of the promotional work could have been done regardless of whether the film was cut for it's theatrical release and released as NC-17. I don't know anything about the film outside of scanning through some title threads regarding the film, but your first post made it sound like the sole reason it did poorly was because of some broken promise regarding the film staying in tact and alienating fans.
Old 06-11-05, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

it was also crammed into a busy weekend. it would done bad simply because that.
Old 06-11-05, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Also, Cinderella Man does not look like it appeals much to the main movie-going audience, which is teenagers.

13-year-old boys wanna see stuff blow up not a period piece.
Old 06-11-05, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

13-year-old boys wanna see stuff blow up not a period piece.
Then how did Seabiscuit make so much money when it was released a few summers ago?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.