Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Lucas Finally Decides to Get AFI's Honor

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 06-09-05, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By DAVID GERMAIN, AP Movie Writer Thu Jun 9, 3:29 PM ET

LOS ANGELES - George Lucas figures this is the ideal time to receive the
American Film Institute's life-achievement award, now that he's getting out of the "Star Wars" business and embarking on a second career as an avant-garde filmmaker.

One of Hollywood's highest honors, the award Thursday came as Lucas was bidding goodbye to his six-film sci-fi epic about the Skywalker clan, with the final chapter cruising to a $400 million-plus domestic haul.

AFI actually approached him a decade ago or more about the career prize, said Lucas, who turned 61 days before last month's debut of "Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith."

"I said, `You know, I'm too young. Look, I'm not ready yet,'" Lucas told The Associated Press. "Then they came back again, and I said, `Look, wait until I'm over 60. Then I'll do it.' As soon as I turned 60, they called me."

Never a prolific filmmaker, Lucas has focused largely on "Star Wars" since the mid-1970s, along with producing the "Indiana Jones" movies and TV series.

Before that, he was a filmmaking wunderkind who directed the cult sci-fi satire "THX 1138" and the enormously popular "American Graffiti." Now planning to return to his roots and make out-of-the-mainstream art films more akin to "THX 1138," Lucas jokes that since he views the six "Star Wars" installments as one long movie, he's receiving a career honor while barely getting started in show business.

"If you think about getting their award for a body of work but you think of `Star Wars' as one movie, then I've only done three movies, and the only achievement is I actually finished `Star Wars,'" Lucas said.

"At the same time, I'm starting a new career, so it's kind of the end of one phase and the beginning of another phase. So it's kind of the perfect time, probably as good as it's going to get in terms of being successful."

Of course, the films themselves are only part of Lucas' legacy. "Star Wars" reinvigorated sci-fi and visual-effects films, and Lucas' Industrial Light & Magic outfit revolutionized the industry.

The company has created special effects for many of Hollywood's modern spectacles, including "Titanic," "E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial" and the "Jurassic Park," "Star Trek," "Terminator" and "
Harry Potter" flicks. ILM's advances in computer effects paved the way for such projects as "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy.

Lucas has been a key proponent of the gradual conversion from film to digital production and projection of movies. His last two "Star Wars" movies were shot digitally, helping to drive a trickle-down effect of technology that allowed independent filmmakers to gain access to low-cost and flexible digital equipment.

The recipient of the 33rd annual AFI award, Lucas joins such past honorees as Orson Welles,
Bette Davis, Alfred Hitchcock, Meryl Streep,
Tom Hanks, Elizabeth Taylor, Sidney Poitier,
Harrison Ford and Steven Spielberg, the latter two his collaborators on the "Indiana Jones" films.

Longtime pal Spielberg was picked to present the prize to Lucas.

"I think it's very appropriate," said Lucas, who plans to team with Spielberg and Ford for one more "Indiana Jones" movie. "We're friends, he's gotten his award here, and it's kind of fun to get it from a friend. It makes it more of a personal kind of award."

----

ugh... he agreed to accept an award? we need to be sure to thank him
Old 06-09-05, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
ugh... he agreed to accept an award? we need to be sure to thank him
If you didn't feel like your life's business/mission was not yet complete, wouldn't you not want a life-achievement award?

Seems pretty logical to me. Well deserved considering all that he has done for the industry.
Old 06-09-05, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Article

One of Hollywood's highest honors ...
I have to agree. It would definitely make the "100 Years ... 100 Highest Honors" list.

das
Old 06-09-05, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
If you didn't feel like your life's business/mission was not yet complete, wouldn't you not want a life-achievement award?

Seems pretty logical to me. Well deserved considering all that he has done for the industry.

oh i think he deserves it, but if someone wants to thank you and honor you, i think you accept that honor
Old 06-09-05, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Jack: you said what he has done for the industry. Are you talking in terms of effects or turning it into the business it is? I am part of a school of thought that the reason so many in Hollywood admire the duo of Spielberg and Lucas is because it could be argued that they are the people who made modern Hollywood.
Old 06-09-05, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
The article shows that he simply asked them to come back when he feels he's achieved a life's achievement.
Old 06-09-05, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

you said what he has done for the industry. Are you talking in terms of effects or turning it into the business it is?
There are many books out there on Lucas. His achievements go far, far beyond just turning Hollywood into a business or advancing effects.

As for why he turned them down, it seems he honestly believed he didn't deserve the award when they wanted to award him. He was right. You don't give someone a lifetime achievement award at that point. Maybe they thought he was done with filmmaking. Seems Lucas feels he still doesn't deserve it. Though the award isn't for just directing, or is it?

Last edited by Terrell; 06-09-05 at 09:42 PM.
Old 06-10-05, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Jack: you said what he has done for the industry. Are you talking in terms of effects or turning it into the business it is? I am part of a school of thought that the reason so many in Hollywood admire the duo of Spielberg and Lucas is because it could be argued that they are the people who made modern Hollywood.
agreed...they built the blockbuster...

the innovation in sound and special effects alone is amazing
Old 06-10-05, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ugh, this goes with his whole "movie is never finished" mentality. Accept the damn award and be done with it.
Old 06-14-05, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Terrell
Though the award isn't for just directing, or is it?
Boy, I hope not. I wouldn't expect that they give out Lifetime Achievement Awards just for this.
Old 06-15-05, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by evenswr
Boy, I hope not. I wouldn't expect that they give out Lifetime Achievement Awards just for this.
You do know that this award is for George Lucas and not Tom Hanks, right?
Old 06-15-05, 08:08 AM
Political Exile

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think they should give George Lucas an honorary award. The award should be very precious and valuable. And then some years after they give the award to him, they should make changes to it, and they should cut some parts off of the award off, and glue new parts on to it. They should keep doing this repeatedly for several years. And then when they're all done making the changes, the award should be worthless.
Old 06-15-05, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think they should give George Lucas an honorary award. The award should be very precious and valuable. And then some years after they give the award to him, they should make changes to it, and they should cut some parts off of the award off, and glue new parts on to it. They should keep doing this repeatedly for several years. And then when they're all done making the changes, the award should be worthless.
Bitter are we?
Old 06-15-05, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Terrell
Bitter are we?
Yea really. I mean it wasn't even funny or a good metaphor. He should have thought it out a little more.

Last edited by Drop; 06-15-05 at 02:41 PM. Reason: common mistakes, and nitpickery
Old 06-15-05, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Drop
Yea really. I mean it wasn't even funny or a good metaphor. He should of thought it out a little more.
Should of?
Old 06-15-05, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Darn it, oh well. That mistake was bound to happen to me sooner or later.
Old 06-15-05, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Goat3001
Oops, sorry. I apologize for reading the entire article. I forgot that it's standard operating practice around these parts to read the thread title and just go off from there.