DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Vader as Luke's Father: anyone else not believe it in 1980? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/426065-vader-lukes-father-anyone-else-not-believe-1980-a.html)

Dr. DVD 06-08-05 09:42 PM

Vader as Luke's Father: anyone else not believe it in 1980?

I remember when I was three years old and saw ESB in the theater, I really didn't really believe that Darth Vader was Luke's father. Then again, I was only three years old at the time and didn't have much of a grasp on anything other than the cool toys. However, as time passed between ESB and ROTJ, I actually wondered whether or not Vader might have really been Luke's father, as I got to see the movie in its multiple re-releases. I asked my mom what she thought and she said that perhaps Vader was "telling a big fat fib." Afterall, him being evil, it would make sense for him to lie.

Apparently I wasn't the only one who was in denial, as I remember seeing ROTJ on one of its first nights upon hearing Yoda reveal "Your father he is," hearing a collective gasp go over the theater.

Anyone else doubt what Vader had to say?

resinrats 06-08-05 11:09 PM

I did. I was around 5 when I first saw it. I figured Vader was lying since he was the bad guy. Ben was the hero. Why would he keep this from Luke. Jedi wouldn't be out for a year or two.

Class316 06-08-05 11:35 PM

When I first saw it I was shocked but I believed it cause of the force communication between Vader and Luke. He says "Ben, why didn't you tell me"

Groucho 06-09-05 07:51 AM

I believed it, but I couldn't stop throwing up.

BrewCrew 06-09-05 08:52 AM

I was four when ESB came out and I didn't believe it. It was a hot topic with my friends in the 1st grade right before ROTJ was released if Vader was really Luke's father.

mikehunt 06-09-05 10:37 AM

I don't remember the first time I saw ESB
but in a ANH there is definitely some foreshadowing
Beru: He has too much of his father in him Owen
Owen: That's what I'm afraid of

aukevin 06-09-05 10:52 AM

I wish I was a few years older so I could have experienced the original trilogy in the theaters for the first time. The first movie I saw in the theaters was ROTJ when I was 5. I don't remember anything about it, except that I went. My dad wanted to see the movie so he took me. I don't remember when I saw them on VHS the first time. I would have liked to have been old enough to see ESB in the theater so I could have experienced the moment when Vader told Luke, I bet it was utter shock.

The Valeyard 06-09-05 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by aukevin
I would have liked to have been old enough to see ESB in the theater so I could have experienced the moment when Vader told Luke, I bet it was utter shock.

I was 10 when I saw it in Westwood and YES, it was an utter shock. The ENTIRE sold out audience (myself included) let out a collective GASP at that moment. I swear I had goosebumps all over.

Andrew

Nesbit 06-09-05 03:23 PM

Uhmmm spoiler tags?!!?!?! THANKS GUYS! -ohbfrank-

Goldberg74 06-09-05 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
I believed it, but I couldn't stop throwing up.

You're one in a million Groucho. ;)

Dr. DVD 06-09-05 08:44 PM

I was too young to remember any gasps in ESB, as I really didn't have much to recollect at the time. I guess being too young is why I didn't accept the truth at that point. ;)

NatrlBornThrllr 06-09-05 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mrs.Nesbit
Uhmmm spoiler tags?!!?!?! THANKS GUYS! -ohbfrank-

Haha, you bastard, you stole my post.

-JP

naitram 06-10-05 02:20 PM

I know a lot of people, including myself, didn't fully believe it until Jedi came out.

Plus I was at the age that I had recently come to understand I was adopted myself, so not knowing who your father was and then being shown that it could end up being someone like Darth Vader was probably traumatic as hell. -wink-

Crocker Jarmen 06-10-05 03:27 PM

I remember seeing some Star Wars documentary, and James Earl Jones said he initialy thought that Vadar was lying.