Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Little Shop of Horrors Unused Ending

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Little Shop of Horrors Unused Ending

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-05, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope they don't re-release it. This is one of the DVDs i'm most "proud" of, particularly the circumstances surrounding the way I found it and since I like flick so much.

And now that you guys have seen it, they don't need to.
Old 06-12-05, 04:31 PM

Maybe there'll be a 20th anniversary DVD next year . . .

L8r
Old 06-12-05, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Geffen does indeed need to get off his billionaire ass and release this. He's the one who said he pulled it because "it looked like shit" - and it deserved better.

This dude is one crazy fucker. I read his biography and, wow, he should have been an actor. I remember reading the part about LSOH - and he basically brought Oz in and told him to film a "happier ending". I also remember Bill Murray hating him and wanted out of the picture, as well. Glad that didn't happen.
Old 06-13-05, 02:50 AM

IIRC, they test marketed the original ending and audiences hated it, so they went back and concocted the happier one. I think the intent all along was to have the same ending as the play (and then some!), but it didn't test well, I guess.

L8r
Old 06-13-05, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RogueScribner
Maybe there'll be a 20th anniversary DVD next year . . .

L8r
Little Shop of Horrors: Unrated and Out of Control Edition
Old 06-13-05, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've never seen the unused ending for the film, I have seen the play though
I remember thinking "Huh?" when the final number came up as the happy ending was what I was used to.
If Seymour/Audrey get eaten how can the final cast (including them) reunite for the final number? For a film it wouldnt make sense surely?

I do like the final shot of the film lingering on the mini-Audrey II in the flowerbed, anyway perhaps they *won't* live happily ever after because that Audrey II will grow up and...
Old 06-13-05, 12:59 PM

The final cast doesn't reunite for the final number in the movie. "Don't Feed the Plants" is sung by the chorus girls while shots of Audrey IIs wreak havoc across America.

L8r
Old 06-14-05, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ah I didnt know that.
Its just in the amateur production I saw the whole cast reunited, so to me that didnt make sense.
Old 06-14-05, 04:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Little Shop of Horrors: Unrated and Out of Control Edition
Nah, Little Shop of Horrors: Mean Grean Mother Edition.
Old 10-07-05, 06:42 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by grim_tales
Ah I didnt know that.
Its just in the amateur production I saw the whole cast reunited, so to me that didnt make sense.
In the play, the cast members who have died become part of the plant and grow into singing "buds", hence their return. My high school did a production of it and I was in it.

The newer, happier ending is nice, but the original ending is so much more awesome and badass. I would love it if Warners released a new SE of the film on DVD with the option to watch it with the original ending via seamless branching. That is, if a more polished version of that ending even exists.

It would seem Frank Oz has the worst luck with the endings to his films. First, Little Shop of Horrors, and now his remake of The Stepford Wives (Boy, was that ever a mess! And not just the ending, hehe!).
Old 10-07-05, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RyanPC
It would seem Frank Oz has the worst luck with the endings to his films. First, Little Shop of Horrors, and now his remake of The Stepford Wives (Boy, was that ever a mess! And not just the ending, hehe!).
Long story short: Frank Oz needs to grow a pair. The guy's been in Hollywood long enough to have some clout.
Old 10-07-05, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The bad part is the the changes he made to Little Shop of Horrors didn't even appear to be because of studio pressure. Apparently he had a bad test screening, and then lost his nerve. Listening to his commentary on the alternate ending, he talks about how he liked that ending but that it was just too dark and that audiences wouldn't have forgiven him and that they just had to change it. Please.

The original ending was amazing, and should have stayed in there. Some people may not have found it to their liking, but you shouldn't derail and water-down your entire movie because of what some people might think. The movie is set up like a greek tragedy, complete with the chorus, but he was more than happy to just throw that out the window because a test audience didn't like it.
Old 10-07-05, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I couldn't see it with that link. Does anyone have a link that works?
Old 10-08-05, 05:13 PM

That link was only temporary. Like a week or two. I'm sure if you look hard enough on various download sites, someone might have it.