Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone else think Mr. and Mrs. Smith is doomed?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Anyone else think Mr. and Mrs. Smith is doomed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-05, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
yeah, I do plan on seeing it, probably a saturday matinee, but he still looks out of place in this movie
Old 06-09-05, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Brad Pitt is riding a tricycle with a big ass gun in the trailer....that alone guaranteed my ticket.
Old 06-09-05, 06:24 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clemente
Brad Pitt is riding a tricycle with a big ass gun in the trailer....that alone guaranteed my ticket.
My memory is hazy, but I don't think that made the final cut.

I could be wrong, but I don't remember that shot in the film.
Old 06-09-05, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by mikehunt
Vince Vaughn looks totally out of place in this movie
So what? He also looks hilarious. He's one of the main reasons I'm gonna be checking this out Friday night. Both of the reviews I have read of the movie specifically mention him as being one of the highlights and that he steals the movie with his rants. Looking forward to it very much.
Old 06-10-05, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scott shelton
My memory is hazy, but I don't think that made the final cut.

I could be wrong, but I don't remember that shot in the film.
Fuckin' FOX. Always deleting the cool shit we see in trailers but are not in the final cut of the film. First Jason Stratham deflecting a rocket with a pan lid was deleted from the final cut of The Transporter and now Brad Pitt ridicing a tricyle with a big ass gun is deleted from Mr. & Mrs. Smith.

At least Sony keeps in the cool shit like Harrison Ford riding a girl's bicycle in Hollywood Homicide.
Old 06-10-05, 09:18 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Some reviews from MetaCritic

New York Magazine Ken Tucker
A cool summer thriller whose laughs don't slow down the suspense.

Washington Post Michael O'Sullivan
A kicky, twisted thrill ride, with enough laughs to leaven what can be read, at heart, as a metaphor for the modern marriage.

Premiere Peter Debruge
Features some of the best fight and chase footage you'll see all summer.

Newsweek David Ansen
Imagine "The War of the Roses" remade as a James Bond fantasy, with appropriately high-tech weaponry, and you have some idea of what Doug Liman's heavily armed comedy has in store.

Entertainment Weekly Owen Gleiberman
For all the nimbleness of its first half and the chemical zing of Pitt and Jolie, the film devolves into a fractious and explosive mess, hitting the same note of ''ironic'' violence over and over.
Old 06-10-05, 09:26 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw it. Loved it. BTW that "ironic violence" is what you find in movies like Kill Bill and Hong Kong actioners -- and not necessarily a negative...(unless you're a wussy like OW).
Old 06-10-05, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Pitt, Jolie (aka "Mr. & Mrs. Smith") let a marriage come between them

By Calvin Wilson
Of the Post-Dispatch
Friday, Jun. 10 2005

Forget the gunplay, pyrotechnics and vehicular mayhem: In "Mr. & Mrs. Smith,"
Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie are the only special effects that really matter.
Their considerable chemistry (more about that later) is on splendid display in
this refreshingly irreverent action comedy from director Doug Liman ("The
Bourne Identity").

John and Jane Smith (Pitt and Jolie) haven't been entirely honest with each
other. Each thinks the other is leading an ordinary life that goes well with
their fashionable home in the suburbs. In fact, they're both trained assassins
- and their marriage is in jeopardy. As they confess to an unseen counselor,
the romance has gone out of it. Their whirlwind courtship in Bogota has given
way to arguments about household decor.

Things get complicated when the Smiths, who work for opposing agencies, are
given assignments that bring them into conflict. It's not long before marital
boredom is the last thing on their minds: They're too busy dodging each other's
bullets to bicker about Jane's taste in curtains.

Working from a screenplay by Simon Kinberg, Liman approaches the film with much
the same headlong elan he demonstrated in the first installment of the "Bourne"
franchise. But he also imbues the proceedings with a blend of lightheartedness
and menace that's reminiscent of the Hitchcock classic "North By Northwest."

In its acerbic take on the challenges to being a couple, the film also recalls
two films that starred Kathleen Turner: the suburban satire "The War of the
Roses" (with Michael Douglas) and the mob comedy "Prizzi's Honor" (with Jack
Nicholson).

That said, "Mr. & Mrs. Smith" gets dumber and dumber as it goes along. Not
disastrously dumb, but just enough to make you regret that the filmmakers
retreated from the edge. A coda in which the Smiths sum up what they learned
attempts to reclaim the film's classiness but feels unearned.

Pitt, who hasn't had a flat-out hit since "Seven" (the ensemble comedies
"Ocean's 11" and "Ocean's 12" don't count), turns in his loosest, most
engagingly goofy performance since "The Mexican." And Jolie, who's had trouble
making good on the promise of her Oscar-winning supporting turn in "Girl,
Interrupted," is every bit his equal.

There's been speculation that the gossip surrounding this film - that its stars
had an offscreen fling that led to the breakup of Pitt's marriage to Jennifer
Aniston - will harm its box-office chances. Not likely. If anything, that
rumored liaison only underlines the film's theme: that marriage is a dangerous
game.

"Mr. & Mrs. Smith"
*** (out of four)
Rating: PG-13 (for sequences of violence, intense action, sexual content and
brief strong language)
Running time: 2:00
Old 06-10-05, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
You see the at the end of my post? That means that I was kidding.

But, yeah, I know she seems to have a rule of working with someone before she works ON someone.
I was kidding as well.
Old 06-10-05, 10:45 AM

I saw it and loved it as well. If you liked True Lies, i'd say you'll love this, even if the ending is a bit silly.
Old 06-10-05, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well I saw this last night & thought it was just dreadful. That said I'm sure everyone here will love it with tons of posts of "good mindless fun" & it will go on to be a huge hit.

I love a good mindless movie, but not when it costs $100 million dollars to make. I need more for that much.

First off the movie has the smallest cast I think I've ever seen for a feature film. It is Pitt & Jolie for 2 long hours with pretty much a cameo by Vaughn.

The characters are so boring, cold, & one-dimensional I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would care what happens to them outside of them being freakishly good looking. Which I know for today's tabloid sedated public is enough but not for me. Two hours & you know nothing about them, why are they assasins? Why do they care for each other aside from the looks? Who on earth do they work for? And why is one of the agencies nothing but hot females? The script is just attorcious, it is literally 2 hours of nothing but one wannabe cute & witty one liner after another.

The movie is just idiotic & the action is not special enough to make up for it. Typical ultra-shaky camera work. The one hand to hand fight is zoomed in so much you can barely tell what is happening. Lots of John Woo done to death 2 gun poses to look cool & one of the most moronic endings in the history of action films.
Spoiler:
Standing in the middle of a wide open area surrounded by at least 2 dozen heavily armed, I would assume trained killers, not ONE single F'n person could hit them while they are STANDING still & they are also able to somehow amidst a hale of gunfire from these dozen or so men able to sense & dodge missiles being shot at them
I mean it blows my mind that this is what entertains people.

Also the trailer pretty much shows every thing that is in the entire movie. I don't think I saw anything in 2 hours that wasn't in the trailer. Actually the trailer shows more b/c there is a clip where Pitt is on a little tricycle or comething with a machine gun that is not in the movie.

Now I'm sure this thread will be full of everyone saying how much they loved it & how it was great "popcorn summer fun".
Old 06-10-05, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sessa17
Well I saw this last night & thought it was just dreadful. That said I'm sure everyone here will love it with tons of posts of "good mindless fun" & it will go on to be a huge hit.

Now I'm sure this thread will be full of everyone saying how much they loved it & how it was great "popcorn summer fun".
And that's a problem for you...why? Why does it work you up so much that other people can enjoy these types of summer flicks?
Old 06-10-05, 05:02 PM

Im seeing it tonight, Can't go wrong with Angelina!
Old 06-10-05, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Kal-El
And that's a problem for you...why? Why does it work you up so much that other people can enjoy these types of summer flicks?
Where did I say it was a problem for me? I love a good action flick, but I just don't get how one like this is entertaining & more & more dumb ridiculously high-budgeted films like this keep getting made b/c more & more people have the mentality of "it was a mindless popcorn flick" rather than want something new or unique. I'm not saying an action flick has to be high-art or completely innovaitve, but at least have something different in its action or a little more to its characters than this. And yeah, that bothers me, I honestly wish it didn't b/c then I could enjoy more movies like everyone else.

Last edited by Sessa17; 06-10-05 at 06:00 PM.
Old 06-10-05, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Sessa17

I love a good mindless movie, but not when it costs $100 million dollars to make. I need more for that much.
The amount a movie cost to make plays a part in your enjoyment of it? Did you finance this movie yourself or something? If it had only cost $40 million would you think differently?

Saw it. Very enjoyable. Pitt and Jolie have great chemistry, no denying it. In terms of whether or not it is doomed, I went to a 3:00 PM showing at a theater where it was on three screens, and the theater I was in was about packed save for the ground seats. My guess, opens big, then drops off the map. In all honesty, I could have waited until DVD for this, but I just had to see what all the talk was about, and while the movie is no major action spectacle, it does very well in the comedy category and basically tells the story of the problems couples have, just in a different setting.
Spoiler:
I loved the bit where they have just tried to kill each other and sleep over at different places.
In short, this movie was really cute!
Also, a majority of the laughs and mark-out moments of this movie seemed to be from the teenage girls and guys in the audience, which I am sure would be music to the studios ears.
Old 06-10-05, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
The amount a movie cost to make plays a part in your enjoyment of it? Did you finance this movie yourself or something? If it had only cost $40 million would you think differently?
I know it sounds bizarre but yeah, the amount of money a movie costs absolutely plays a part in my enjoyment. When a movie cost $100 million to make, it damn well better be something special & inflated movie budgets are related to inflated ticket sale. There are plenty of other factors but it is part of the reason ticket prices are so high. A $100 + million dollar movie that has the script that this film has IMO is pathetic. On the other side when I see a film like Equillibrium, not the greatest story, but it has better & more innovative action than maybe any over-bloated film like this every has.
Old 06-10-05, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
What an idiotic school of thought. A price tag should not affect your enjoyment. If I enjoy a movie, I don't care if it cost $100 million or $1 million. Granted, I could find out it cost a lot and wonder what justified it, but I won't let it factor in to my enjoyment.
Old 06-10-05, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
What an idiotic school of thought. A price tag should not affect your enjoyment. If I enjoy a movie, I don't care if it cost $100 million or $1 million. Granted, I could find out it cost a lot and wonder what justified it, but I won't let it factor in to my enjoyment.
If I enjoy a movie I don't care what the price of it is either. And it's not like I find out the budget of a film before I see a movie & adjust my enjoyment according the how much it cost to make. I have no clue what the movies I go see cost to make. With M&MS after we saw it last night, my one friend said he read in Variety that the films budget shot up to $115 million after marketing & but when a movie is crap & costs well over $100 mill as M&MS did, it blows my mind. All of that & awful dialogue, a horrendous plot (if you could even call it a plot), & bromide cliche action with that kind of budget.

For me when a movie costs an absurd amount, the level is raised a bit, especially in action movies & I do expect more out of it. You think it's idiotic that is fine, I think it is idiotic that people just accept dumber & dumber films that cost more & more money as entertainment. And again, the higher budget of films IS part of the reason ticket prices cost so much, clearly that doesn't bother you or the average movie goer, it does bother me, & I don't even pay to see my movies. I just find it to be absurd that it costs $10.50 to see a movie nowadays.

I know I'm in the minority & I'm weird, & these are the types of movies people love so I don't expect anyone to agree with me. It's cool.

Last edited by Sessa17; 06-10-05 at 09:30 PM.
Old 06-10-05, 09:29 PM

i thought this was one of the worst films i have ever seen. A pointless, loud and BORING movie about nothing. i love brad and joli. i love the director. but this had to be the weakest action movie i have ever seen. nothing made sense, nothing was explained. people acted and talked like they were in power rangers or a spy kids movie. made EEKS VS SERVER look like INFERAL AFFIARS

AWFUL
Old 06-10-05, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, it couldn't do any worse than Gigli...
Old 06-10-05, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have absolutely no interest in this. The trailers just made it look like complete and utter shit.
Old 06-10-05, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I loved it! Really, I'm not going to get much more introspective than that. Pitt and Jolie had great chemistry and the comedy that rises from their marriage/jobs is funny. The action is pretty good - not as well staged as Liman's The Bourne Identity, but it fits the tone of the movie well. Vaughn doesn't have a large part, but he's a riot.

I realize I must sound like a studio shill, but this is the most fun I've had at the movies in a while. Note, I didn't say this was the best movie I've seen, just that its the most entertaining (Million Dollar Baby and Crash were great, but they didn't exactly have me happily skipping out of the theater)

Something I haven't seen raised was the PG-13/R issue. I don't feel like the movie suffered for it, nor do I feel like the movie would have been better were it an R. It seems to me that a steamy sex scene would have been a departure from the tone the movie set. Anyone who has seen the movie probably knows where the scene would have gone because there's an awkward edit, but am I alone in this thinking?
Old 06-11-05, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by clemente
I loved it! Really, I'm not going to get much more introspective than that. Pitt and Jolie had great chemistry and the comedy that rises from their marriage/jobs is funny. The action is pretty good - not as well staged as Liman's The Bourne Identity, but it fits the tone of the movie well. Vaughn doesn't have a large part, but he's a riot.

I realize I must sound like a studio shill, but this is the most fun I've had at the movies in a while. Note, I didn't say this was the best movie I've seen, just that its the most entertaining (Million Dollar Baby and Crash were great, but they didn't exactly have me happily skipping out of the theater)

Something I haven't seen raised was the PG-13/R issue. I don't feel like the movie suffered for it, nor do I feel like the movie would have been better were it an R. It seems to me that a steamy sex scene would have been a departure from the tone the movie set. Anyone who has seen the movie probably knows where the scene would have gone because there's an awkward edit, but am I alone in this thinking?
i was surpsied by the amount of violence considering its pg13
Old 06-11-05, 01:55 AM
Banned

i loved it; it's very much in the vein of true lies; almost a ripoff really in terms of the feel and execution, but it has that same magic.

if you liked true lies you will love this movie. same formula, great execution.
Old 06-11-05, 02:52 AM

I loved this movie as well. I went into it not expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised. Though a part of me wishes Brad Pitt would go back to doing grittier movies like Seven, 12 Monkeys, and Fight Club, I thought he did a good job in this movie, as did the rest of the cast.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.