DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Who is the most overrated director in movies today? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/425280-who-most-overrated-director-movies-today.html)

Perkinsun Dzees 06-03-05 06:49 AM

Who is the most overrated director in movies today?

Well, everyone seems afraid to say it because they think he's going to bust out his Magnum 45 and say "Go ahead, make my day punk," but I think Clint Eastwood is currently the most overrated director.

Not that he's a bad director, but I wouldn't put him in my top 20. I liked UNFORGIVEN alot, but most of his stuff like BLOOD WORK and MYSTIC RIVER I found to be pretty average at best. I thought MILLION DOLLAR BABY was heavy handed and really ran off the rails in the last 30 minutes. The portrayal of that white trash family was really over the top and belonged in a Farrelly Brothers comedy.

My runner-up would be Wes Anderson.

Jaymole 06-03-05 07:02 AM

On this forum it would be Kevin Smith by a wide margin. Tim Burton and John Carpenter are also somewhat overrated here, but I enjoy many of their films so I'm more forgiving with them.

In the real world, Ron Howard would probably be my pick for most overrated.

I do feel Clint Eastwood is a little overrated based on his whole body of work. However, the last 15 years have definitely been his finest.

Mr. Cinema 06-03-05 07:17 AM

Ron Howard

das Monkey 06-03-05 08:20 AM

Oh, I <i>love</i> these threads ...

How about Steven Spielberg!

das

Brain Stew 06-03-05 08:24 AM

I would go with M. Night Shyamalan, but it seems that The Village knocked him down a few pegs.

silentbob007 06-03-05 08:34 AM

I would say Ron Howard, just because so many of his films seem to be made just to scream "NOMINATE ME FOR SOMETHING!"

I wouldn't call Kevin Smith an overrated director just because I don't think that many people rate him high as a director (or know who he is .... though the comment was tempered with "in this forum", which I can buy).

Superboy 06-03-05 08:34 AM

Overrated? can a director be overrated when there has been no director in the history of cinema that has NEVER made a bad movie?

pdinosaur 06-03-05 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by das Monkey
Oh, I <i>love</i> these threads ...

How about Steven Spielberg!

das

that's an easy one, considering what empire just said about him in terms of all other directors ever.

i'll say spielberg gives ron howard a run for his money in terms of 'please nominate me for something' movies. insert schindler's list reference here..... i mean really, i get it. the holocaust was bad mkay? how many movies do i have to endure?

Get Me Coffee 06-03-05 09:01 AM

Steven Spielberg!

Rockmjd23 06-03-05 09:09 AM

tarantino

DthRdrX 06-03-05 09:27 AM

Speilberg

taa455 06-03-05 09:36 AM

Tarantino

I also agree with Ron Howard to a lesser degree.

cleaver 06-03-05 09:48 AM

Hayao Miyazaki

Bugg 06-03-05 09:52 AM

Ridley Scott

The guy has not made a good film since "Blade Runner" which was 23 years ago.

Groucho 06-03-05 09:54 AM

Chaplin
Lang
Whale
Welles
Hitchcock
Kubrick
Coppola
Scorcese
Anderson (Paul T)
Singer

DVD King 06-03-05 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho
Chaplin
Lang
Whale
Welles
Hitchcock
Kubrick
Coppola
Scorcese
Anderson (Paul T)
Singer

Anyone else?

I'll go with Ron Howard.

Goldberg74 06-03-05 10:15 AM

McG

... I win!

scott shelton 06-03-05 10:17 AM

Alex Proyas

scott shelton 06-03-05 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
McG

Is he overrated?

Zodiac_Speaking 06-03-05 10:27 AM

Speilberg-defiantely with Terminal and now War of the Worlds.

But I vote for: M. Night Shayalam. He only makes decent films; he's no Hitchcock.

Groucho 06-03-05 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by jonpeters
Speilberg-defiantely with Terminal and now War of the Worlds.

You've seen WotW?

Shannon Nutt 06-03-05 10:51 AM

Directors aren't really "overrated" until after their deaths...that being said, I think both Kubrick and Hitchcock are slightly overrated...not to say that I didn't enjoy a lot of their films.

I disagree strongly with the first poster...Eastwood is my FAVORITE director. I'd like to see Speilberg do the number of takes and spend the amount of money Eastwood does on a movie (both very low) and turn out the kind of product Clint does. Clint's biggest attribute is that he knows the importance of just turning on the camera and letting the actors do their work.

Hokeyboy 06-03-05 10:57 AM

I predict mass misuages of the term "overrated" in the posts to come, e.g. "Michael Bay", "McG", "Uwe Boll", "Paul Anderson", etc..

Now I don't know if he's the MOST overrated, but lately I've been shaking my head with all the love given to Doug Liman. I haven't liked a single thing he's worked on (including SWINGERS, although it did have moments of perspicacity), and outright loathed THE BOURNE IDENTITY and GO. Yet his films seem to gather both critical acclaim and popular sentiment. I must be missing something.

Maxflier 06-03-05 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by cleaver
Hayao Miyazaki

Agreed.I'd also add George Romero.

Sid Yobbo 06-03-05 11:30 AM

Martin Scorsese, by a country mile.

I've complained about The Aviator before. It's an entirely routine, big-budget bio-pic which could have been helmed by a dozen different directors to exactly the same effect. I don't think Scorsese has made a great movie since Goodfellas and that was, what, fifteen years ago. Frankly I think he's a director of rather limited ability, technically brilliant but also undisciplined, self-indulgent and uncomfortable with mainstream narrative. He's generally proven himself unable to create characters with whom one identifies or is particularly interested in. You can feel sorrow or pity for his characters but that's not the same thing.

I'm also unhappy at the way too many critics give Scorsese's alleged masterpieces a pass despite noticeable flaws. The plot of Taxi Driver, for example, doesn't make any sense in its final act. Why does Travis target the Presidential candidate? Why, after his murdeous rampage, is Travis improbably shown back on the streets driving his cab? Another example, Raging Bull is undeniably powerfully made but it's also a very alienating and unlikeable experience. In fact, with the exception of After Hours (which I thought was excellent) and the heartfelt Last Temptation of Christ I simply don't think he's produced anything justifying the frenzied adoration which surrounds him in some quarters. It's all very strange.

I'd like to believe that his next movie The Departed will mark a return to form but the omens do not look good. It's another $100 million plus 'blockbuster' with an all star cast and I've little doubt it will end up as another bloated and over directed Scorsese effort. One that will, no doubt, be acclaimed as a 'masterpiece' by the usual suspects.