DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   An interesting note about the Star Wars planetology (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/425253-interesting-note-about-star-wars-planetology.html)

Class316 06-02-05 09:40 PM

An interesting note about the Star Wars planetology

Did you notice that in Star Wars all planets seem to have a uniform environment?

You have an ice planet (Hoth), a desert planet (Tatooine), a rocky planet (Geonosis), a lava planet, a forest moon (Endor), a jungle planet (Kashyyyk, where the wookies live), and even a water planet (Kamino) where WINGED BEINGS evolved :rolleyes:

http://www.starwars.com/databank/loc...g/movie_bg.jpg

The only exceptions seem to be Naboo and Alderaan, which are earth like.

Seems kinda a weird planetology. Particularly the creatures in Kamino.

GuessWho 06-02-05 09:46 PM

mars = rocky planet

jupiter = gas planet

i think single-environment planets outnumber multi-environment planets in real life too

Superboy 06-03-05 08:12 AM

I think a better question would be: how the hell are these planets even hospitable? and you're forgetting other planets...

Coruscant - planet-size metropolis
Degobah - the entire planet is a swamp
Naboo - tropical/temperate
Utapau - the entire planet is like 65 million BC

The one that really bothers me though is...

Mustafar - completely volcanic. Right. Humanoids being able to breathe on a planet almost completely covered by volcanic lava.

Giantrobo 06-03-05 08:27 AM

The "winged beings" on Kamino aren't that big a deal. Look at "Flying fish" here on Earth.

Check out this book dealing with the wild life of the Star Wars Universe.

RoyalTea 06-03-05 08:40 AM

Is it ever explicitly mentioned that these planets are entirely of one type of environment?

Birrman54 06-03-05 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
Is it ever explicitly mentioned that these planets are entirely of one type of environment?

not that I'm aware, except for perhaps Tatooine, Geonosis and Coruscant (although a planet sized metropolis, especially for the capital of a galaxy spanning republic doesn't seem too much of a stretch.)

birrman54

bboisvert 06-03-05 08:48 AM

You know what else is interesting... these movies are FANTASY. Really, they are. ;)

Class316 06-03-05 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by RoyalTea

Yes, the "Ice Planet", the "Forest moon", the "Volcanic planet", Desert planet" etc.

The point about breathing in a volcanic planet is another good point.

Cusm 06-03-05 09:47 AM

IIRC, Hoth is called the Ice Planet. I agree with Guesswho, probably not all that rare in the real universe.

al_bundy 06-03-05 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Birrman54
not that I'm aware, except for perhaps Tatooine, Geonosis and Coruscant (although a planet sized metropolis, especially for the capital of a galaxy spanning republic doesn't seem too much of a stretch.)

birrman54

that's a rip off from Isaac Asimov's Foundation series. I forgot the name of the planet that was the capital of the galaxy, but it was one big city and the people didn't like going outside.

Birrman54 06-03-05 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by al_bundy
that's a rip off from Isaac Asimov's Foundation series. I forgot the name of the planet that was the capital of the galaxy, but it was one big city and the people didn't like going outside.

Trantor I believe, and I'm not sure I remember the agoraphobia part.

I also wouldn't really consider it a rip-off, since huge planet metropolises are a fairly common theme in galactic sci-fi. Also, it makes some sense that an entire planet might be needed to govern a republic of thousands of star systems.

birrman54

uberjoe 06-03-05 12:00 PM

Trantor I believe, and I'm not sure I remember the agoraphobia part.

I also wouldn't really consider it a rip-off, since huge planet metropolises are a fairly common theme in galactic sci-fi. Also, it makes some sense that an entire planet might be needed to govern a republic of thousands of star systems.

birrman54

Pretty common now, but I believe Asimov was the first (at least the first popular example).

Numanoid 06-03-05 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by GuessWho
i think single-environment planets outnumber multi-environment planets in real life too

Not among M class planets.

Jackskeleton 06-03-05 02:22 PM

I thought it was common knowledge that Lucas has done the whole single-environment planets since the OT. a desert planet, a frozen planet, a forest moon of endor.

Giles 06-03-05 02:25 PM

yeah, and I'm suprised and annoyed that not one planet looked like Candyland.

Birrman54 06-03-05 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by uberjoe
Pretty common now, but I believe Asimov was the first (at least the first popular example).

Perhaps, but so much of sci-fi was created by Asimov, I dont think it's truly fair to say something was taken from him, when much of his creations have become part of pop culture. (for example, the Positronic Brain, 'laws' governing Robot behavior, etc)

btw, from where did Coruscant originate? I know it wasn't mentioned in the OT (until the SE), but it's mentioned extensively in the EU.

birrman54

wlmowery 06-03-05 03:01 PM

Perhaps, but so much of sci-fi was created by Asimov, I dont think it's truly fair to say something was taken from him, when much of his creations have become part of pop culture. (for example, the Positronic Brain, 'laws' governing Robot behavior, etc)

btw, from where did Coruscant originate? I know it wasn't mentioned in the OT (until the SE), but it's mentioned extensively in the EU.

birrman54

It, Coruscant, originated in the EU as part of the Zahn series of books.

calhoun07 06-03-05 07:09 PM

I guess I am missing a point here or something. Who really cares what the entire environment of any of these planets are really like? If Hoth had a part of the planet where under ground volcanoes were creating sulfer dioxide oceans and another region of Hoth featured a dryer area where the surface of the planet could be seen all the snow, what the f difference would it make in the big picture of the movie????? Of all the things to nit pick about...

duff beer 06-03-05 07:36 PM

Bespin the Cloud planet too. They're like worlds from a Super Mario game

NitroJMS 06-03-05 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Giles
yeah, and I'm suprised and annoyed that not one planet looked like Candyland.

The planet Aayla Secura is fighting on in Episode III looks like the closest you'll get to your wish.

GuessWho 06-03-05 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by duff beer
Bespin the Cloud planet

it's a gas planet

jekbrown 06-03-05 08:55 PM

Some of these are not outside the realm of possibility... a ice planet and one covered entirely by water are certainly possible. Endor is known as the forest moon, but that doesnt mean its 100% forest. Idaho is known for potatos... doesnt mean every square inch is patato farmland.

j

duff beer 06-04-05 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by GuessWho
it's a gas planet

Right you think people thought that when watching the movie back then? It's clouds, a cloud planet.

calhoun07 06-04-05 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by duff beer
Right you think people thought that when watching the movie back then? It's clouds, a cloud planet.

But wasn't the purpose of the city in the clouds to mine the gas on the surface?

duff beer 06-04-05 06:15 PM

yeah but they were amongst the clouds... doubt people got the impression of gas when watching it