Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ok Palpatine, So you took over the Galaxy. Now What?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 06-02-05, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

So what was Palpatine's intentions once he took over? What does bringing back “The Reign of The Sith” mean? He becomes Emperor, eliminates most of his enemies, gains troops, and so on. Now what? Does he just run the galaxy like a Mafia Boss taking resources and money form planets under the guise of “protection”?
Old 06-02-05, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think one of the main reasons to take over was to eliminate the Jedi, which he did successfully. Now he just wants to keep his power ....
Old 06-02-05, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought the reign of the Sith was about killing the Jedi & ruling the galaxy. Nothing else.
Old 06-02-05, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

unlimited galactic poontang

Old 06-02-05, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

now he is going to disney world
Old 06-02-05, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Power

The ultimate aphrodisiac.
Old 06-02-05, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by al_bundy
now he is going to disney world
Damn. beat me to it.

First the galaxy then the universe!
Old 06-03-05, 12:20 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Better yet, what if there had been no Rebellion? What the hell would he do with the Death Star? I suppose he could just go around blowing up random planets just to be a dick, but come on! Not to mention all the Tie Fighters, AT-ATs, etc. If everyone was a good obediant servant to the Empire, Palpatine and Vader's lives would be pretty dull. Vader would probably have to resort to force-choking janitors who didn't properly clean the Death Star toilets. "You missed a spot. Your lack of attention to detail is disturbing."
Old 06-03-05, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You would think Palpatine would use his Sith powers to find a freakin' plastic surgeon. Maybe he could also get nookie from a Wookie?
Old 06-03-05, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

"Poweeeerrrrrrr!!!! Unlimited Poweeeeerrrrrrr!!!!"
Old 06-03-05, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Bask in the glory of a Sith filled galaxy. simple as that
Old 06-03-05, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I questioned this too. Power corrupts and is a rush to be sure...but I really don't see how the galaxy would be any different. In fact, I kind of like the Emperor. He's a little more predictable and ordered than maverick Jedi running around doing whatever the hell they want not caring who gets caught in the crossfire. We never really saw just how bad the Empire ever was. Seriously, it's not as if the Republic was any different with its police measures and mighty armies and fleets.
Old 06-03-05, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Palpatine was a despot. He wanted what all despots want: power and prestige.

Also, the AT-ATs and other sorts of "tools" are necessary because there will always be a rebellion. Under Palpatine, the galaxy is essentially a police state. And in police states you will always need something to quelle an uprising.

As for the Jedi not being much better. That is sort of the point of the PT. The Jedi have lost their way in many respects and it supposed to become a shock when you see that little by little this evil man has tricked you (assuming you never saw the OT) into believing that he will provide something better than the current senate.
Remember, the senate in Episode I is not the same as the one in Episode II since they have by that time made Palpatine chancellor, given him "emergency powers" and authorized the creation of a clone army.

This is all really the fault of Palpatine and his cunning trickery and the senate's foolish trust.
Old 06-03-05, 09:44 AM

Remember, the Death Star was to be used to "keep local systems in line" once the Senate was dissolved.
Old 06-03-05, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by silentbob007
Remember, the Death Star was to be used to "keep local systems in line" once the Senate was dissolved.
Just coming in to post the same thing. People seem to forget that the Senate still existed until mid-way through Episode IV. The Death Star allowed Palpatine to finally do away with that remnant of the Republic.
Old 06-03-05, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Great posts guys.
Old 06-03-05, 07:44 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Because he's an asshole.
Old 06-03-05, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DRG
Better yet, what if there had been no Rebellion? What the hell would he do with the Death Star? I suppose he could just go around blowing up random planets just to be a dick, but come on! Not to mention all the Tie Fighters, AT-ATs, etc. If everyone was a good obediant servant to the Empire, Palpatine and Vader's lives would be pretty dull. Vader would probably have to resort to force-choking janitors who didn't properly clean the Death Star toilets. "You missed a spot. Your lack of attention to detail is disturbing."

That actually makes me think about, what the hell did Vader do when he was bored? Force bitchslap around some stormtroopers? Play hide the lightsaber with Tattooine slaves?
Old 06-03-05, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Probably meditated in the chamber of his.
Old 06-03-05, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Palpatine is the classic evil despot. Once in power, they are consumed with two things, maintaining their position and getting more power. The movies didn't do a great job of conveying it, but some of the SW books certainly suggest that the galaxy is so massive that policing it, even with bazillions of storm troopers and thousands of star ships isn't easy. The rebels are, after all, able to actually build semi-permenent bases in various places. This suggests that the Emporers power over the worlds of the Old Republic was at no time absolute. Thats the kind of thing that not only really peeves angry dictators off, but gives them "something to do" at the same time. Because of this, I doubt the Emporer ever got "bored"... there is always some rebellion to crush, spys to capture, traitors to execute, some planet to blow up and some innocents to enslave and/or kill. Vader on the other hand, I can imagine being "bored" if he was a normal guy. After all, once the Jedi were gone and the emporer's fleet was in command of the galaxy with no real opposition, what was there for him to do? With the Force and all though, I imagine he meditated a lot as the other poster suggested.

The image of him standing in a tile-walled public bathroom on the death star squeezing the neck of a sorry janitor is funny as hell tho...

j
Old 06-03-05, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I actually cannot help but wonder how Palpy lost so much popularity between III and IV. When he declares the Republic an Empire, the people seem to love him. I also never could figure out how at the end of ROTJ on Coruscant so much power seemed to be lost. Since Coruscant was the base of the Empire, how did so much of it manage to fall in such a short time?
Old 06-03-05, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Umm maybe because 20 years of living in a Nazi-esque police state would probably piss people off enough to realize the guy is a fascist dictator?
Old 06-04-05, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DRG
Vader would probably have to resort to force-choking janitors who didn't properly clean the Death Star toilets. "You missed a spot. Your lack of attention to detail is disturbing."
Old 06-04-05, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by DRG
Vader would probably have to resort to force-choking janitors who didn't properly clean the Death Star toilets. "You missed a spot. Your lack of attention to detail is disturbing."
Or force choking the servers in the Death Star Cafeteria queue because the trays are wet...

Or at least that's what Eddie Izzard thinks.
Old 06-06-05, 04:54 PM

[QUOTE=Dr. DVD]I actually cannot help but wonder how Palpy lost so much popularity between III and IV. QUOTE]

20 years is a long time - Imagine a President served 4 terms in office here. I'm sure even the most beloved President in his first term could become hated by a vocal few by his third term.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.