DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Can you tell me what this movie is? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/425118-can-you-tell-me-what-movie.html)

Rich Sawyer 06-02-05 02:51 AM

Can you tell me what this movie is?

The movie is kid friendly, made earlier than 1989, and is a mystery/horror children's movie with sort of a literary feel.

In it, there are at least two children, a boy and a girl - cousins or siblings, I don't know - and an old man and a lot of other characters. I just remember that there was some sort of mystery, the children (and likely evryone else) spoke with english accents, and the thing took place at a big english manor/mansion, with a lot of groung around it.

This could, I know, describe a number of movies, but the specific thing that I remember is that all of the characters, friendly or menacing, at the end of the movie (during the end credits) wave, in groups of two or three, to the camera and say "goodbye! Goodbye!" directly to the viewer.

Does anyone have any idea?

P.S. I know that it is NOT watcher in the woods.

Drexl 06-02-05 03:22 AM

I haven't seen this in a LONG time so I don't know if they had English accents or what happened at the end, but with the passing of Eddie Albert I was reminded of Escape to Witch Mountain. Is that it? There was also a sequel, Return from Witch Mountain.

jfoobar 06-02-05 10:58 AM

That's gotta be Lone Star.

SPiRAL 06-02-05 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by JustinS
That's gotta be Lone Star.

rotfl

popest 06-03-05 04:08 AM

What Movie?

Hi, this sounds like the 1973 British movie 'The Amazing Mr Blunden'. A Victorian ghost story which ends with a fire in the mansion.

Basically, an old man with a white beard visits a brother and his sister at Christmas, and offer their mum a job at this mansion. The children are soon visited by the ghosts of 2 other children who were killed in this fire. They take the brother and sister back in time to try and help solve the mystery of who started the fire (or something like that. I have not seen the movie for a few years).

At the end when the credits start, all the actors (still in their costumes & character) take turns saying goodbye to you the viewer.

The director, Lionel Jefferies, used the same 'waving goodbye' ending with his earlier film 'The Railway Children'.

Hope this helps, though it may not be the movie you are thinking of.

Steve

reubs82 06-03-05 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Drexl
I haven't seen this in a LONG time so I don't know if they had English accents or what happened at the end, but with the passing of Eddie Albert I was reminded of Escape to Witch Mountain. Is that it? There was also a sequel, Return from Witch Mountain.

That's exactly what my guess was going to be, but I wasn't sure of the timing. THe description fits (I think), but it's been a while since I've seen it as well.

Rich Sawyer 06-03-05 09:55 AM

Dude, it was Lonestar.

Actually, it wasn´t. It was The Amazing Mr. Blunden.

Thanks, Popest.

popest 06-03-05 11:23 AM

Hi Rich,

For your info, this movie came out last year in the UK on a Region 2 DVD, in a good quality transfer, with an old TV interview with Director Lionel Jefferies as a nice extra.

It is available from Amazon.co.uk or there are usually copies on ebay.

Steve