DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   New Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Trailer - 6/2/05 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/425117-new-charlie-chocolate-factory-trailer-6-2-05-a.html)

FinkPish 06-02-05 02:34 AM

New Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Trailer - 6/2/05

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/cha...colatefactory/

Still looks like fun; seems to be aimed squarely at a younger audience, which makes sense since all the current fans of the old movie were kids when it was newer. It also looks like they are playing on the fact that most people know the old movie and what happens, because they seem to spoil quite a bit of material in this trailer.

Fincher Fan 06-02-05 06:16 AM

Just try and stop me from seeing it. Go on... try.

Jazzbutcher 06-02-05 08:09 AM

there's a longer exclusive trailer at moviefone.com

Big Worms 06-02-05 08:55 AM

Movie looks good! I for one can't wait to see it.

JPRaup 06-02-05 09:02 AM

Looks great, I cant wait, There are alot of good movies coming out this year

Giles 06-02-05 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by tdirgins
there's a longer exclusive trailer at moviefone.com

there was even a simliar longer trailer before the screening of Madagascar I saw yesterday - in DLP no less!!! (oh the colors!). However the silly infectious song is stuck in my head "Willy Wonka, Willy Wonka, Willy Wonka"

"aaaaiiiiiieeeeeeeeee"

Big Worms 06-02-05 09:54 AM

I am starting to love that song!

ytrez 06-02-05 10:39 AM

It looks good but what is with that voice that Depp puts on???

Apparently Gene Wilder is less then enthused with the whole thing...and I don't blame him. The lack of originality in Hollywood is dismaying. At least with this they have source material other than the original movie in Dahl's book. Supposedly more faithful, but time will tell. Other than the odd voice/behavior from Depp it looks very well done.

mikewendt 06-02-05 11:39 AM

Depp's great... Burton's great... Together they're pretty much genius. I'll definiatly be checking this on out.

Mano 06-02-05 03:38 PM

Well it certainly looks more intriguing than the first trailer made it out to be. I'm still skeptical, but I will probably still see it.

devilshalo 06-02-05 05:09 PM

I know Depp can play quirky and slightly crazy, but I hope he can capture tenderness. Wilder did this so well in the original movie. That look in his eyes when he tells Charlie it's all his and he always believed in him. Very touching moment. I really hope Depp can pull it off.

Amel 06-02-05 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I know Depp can play quirky and slightly crazy, but I hope he can capture tenderness. Wilder did this so well in the original movie. That look in his eyes when he tells Charlie it's all his and he always believed in him. Very touching moment. I really hope Depp can pull it off.

I love the Wilder movie, but I have to disagree with Wilder pulling off the tenderness. He always creeped me out at the end. He gave me a child molester kind of vibe. I always thought those last scenes took the movie in whole new direction.

Cameron 06-03-05 01:41 AM

still looks like a yawn...pass...but i will watch the dvd...i always watch the dvd...

Kal-El 06-03-05 02:29 AM

I dunno. Still hasn't compelled me to even think of watching the movie. Kinda getting tired of "quirky" Johnny Depp after his Jack Sparrow stint.

mllefoo 06-03-05 11:27 PM

Johnny's always been quirky. I think it's in his contract to play quirky characters.

I think he can capture the tenderness. He certainly did that well enough in movies like Edward Scissorhands and Chocolat. I get a laugh everytime I hear him say "I don't care!" when he's introduced to Violet Beauregard. I also love the Devo Oompah Loompahs.

While Gene Wilder played a wonderful version of Willy Wonka, I think Johnny Depp is more than capable of making this character his own. The two movies probably cannot be compared because they will be totally different, although I suspect the Oompah Loompahs will still sing. They do in the book.

necros 06-04-05 10:14 AM

good trailer, but for some reason I think I need some acid now

Dr. DVD 06-04-05 05:29 PM

I will definitely see this movie, and I cannot help but wonder how many kids it might traumatize or leave with seizures.

Note to self: get some acid and or weed before seeing this film!

Artman 06-04-05 06:26 PM

Looks pretty light and fluffy, I was hoping for something more twisted. All well...still might see it depending on reviews.

Goat3001 06-04-05 10:08 PM

Along with ROTS and Batman Begins, this is the only must see for me this summer. I recently saw Secret Window and Finding Neverland and I'm convinced that Johnny Depp can make any movie better.

Chris777 06-04-05 11:47 PM

Thanks for the link... Tim Burton is one the best director ever in my opinion... i have Big Fish, Edward Scissorhands, and Ed Wood better than any other director's top 3 movies

mndtrp 06-05-05 02:24 AM

I also plan on seeing this movie. Since I first heard about it, I was excited. The previews are helping to amp me up as well.

I agree with whoever said Johnny must have it in his contract to play quirky characters. They are all a bit off the wall, but it's fun.