Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Was Vader choking... (major ROTS spoilers)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Was Vader choking... (major ROTS spoilers)

Old 06-01-05, 05:42 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 20,726
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was Vader choking... (major ROTS spoilers)

I didn't want to spoil the movie with the thread title so please do not complain to me about vague titles.

Anyway, I think most of you know what I am talking about.

To complete the question: was the Vader choking Padme scene just plain awful? Padme grabbing her neck then falling down just seemed so fake. I don't understand why they couldn't have worked more on this scene since all the duels and battles in this movie had some over the top moves.
Old 06-01-05, 05:51 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Posts: 54,199
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What did you want him to do? back hand her?
Old 06-01-05, 06:32 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Goldberg74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 16,716
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
What did you want him to do? back hand her?
*** Insert "Rick James" joke here ***



Actually, I wanted them to back the camera up and show her floating six inches above the ground.
Old 06-01-05, 08:51 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Mpls, MN
Posts: 6,831
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, obviously, Portman needs practice at falling down. I'm still trying to figure out how the dominant warrior of Ep 2 can die because Vader doesn't like her anymore. What is this, a Barbie show?
Old 06-01-05, 09:16 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 20,726
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
What did you want him to do? back hand her?
I think I'm just saying that it was suppose to be a powerful scene, but it just wasn't convincing.
Old 06-01-05, 09:21 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Posts: 29,706
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thing is, she seemed better while he was actually choking her than after he released her. she could talk and was awake while he was actually choking her. then he releases her and she collapses and is totally out of it for the rest of the movie
Old 06-01-05, 09:28 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: frass canyon
Posts: 16,249
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spiky
Well, obviously, Portman needs practice at falling down. I'm still trying to figure out how the dominant warrior of Ep 2 can die because Vader doesn't like her anymore. What is this, a Barbie show?
was it because Anakin didn't like her anymore, or that she didn't like Vader anymore?
Old 06-01-05, 11:51 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Posts: 8,494
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spiky
Well, obviously, Portman needs practice at falling down. I'm still trying to figure out how the dominant warrior of Ep 2 can die because Vader doesn't like her anymore. What is this, a Barbie show?
She was a Vader hater. She needed to learn that you can't front on the Empire or they'll blow your planet up.
Old 06-02-05, 12:08 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
milo bloom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 13,225
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
What a lot of people are forgetting is she's not really that strong, she puts on a good front, but is very emotionally fragile. This is really shown by her falling in love with Anakin so quickly in Ep 2. It's frightningly similar to women who are attracted to men that abuse them. They see something there that really isn't, or is skewed, and it doesn't make sense to us or Dear Abby, but when they're in that relationship, there's some sense of normalcy.
When Vader finally turned on her, she might have realized what she had gotten herself into, and her facade of strength crumbled.
Old 06-02-05, 12:58 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,590
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by milo bloom
What a lot of people are forgetting is she's not really that strong, she puts on a good front, but is very emotionally fragile. This is really shown by her falling in love with Anakin so quickly in Ep 2. It's frightningly similar to women who are attracted to men that abuse them. They see something there that really isn't, or is skewed, and it doesn't make sense to us or Dear Abby, but when they're in that relationship, there's some sense of normalcy.
When Vader finally turned on her, she might have realized what she had gotten herself into, and her facade of strength crumbled.
Her daughter (princess leia) had a little of her dad in her, very head strong.
Old 06-02-05, 01:09 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 20,726
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iron_Giant
Her daughter (princess leia) had a little of her dad in her, very head strong.
Yeah, she took Han's carbonite freezing process pretty well. Imagine how much it would have sucked if she was screaming and crying hysterically.

But I'm not generally criticizing Padme's character, of course.
Old 06-02-05, 01:15 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 6,259
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think Vadar didn't lift her off the ground because he was just begining to use the power of the dark side. In his mind he may have wanted to make her see his point of view and not nescesarily kill her. The Dark Side messes with your brain like that sometimes.

Was this chocking incident the unknown reason Padme dies?
Old 06-02-05, 01:21 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 20,726
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just re-watched the scene now. I think I'm being too harsh. I don't think it's that bad now, I think I actually just wanted the camera to stay on the choking Padme longer for better effect.
Old 06-02-05, 08:30 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 58,108
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Ranger
Just re-watched the scene now. I think I'm being too harsh. I don't think it's that bad now, I think I actually just wanted the camera to stay on the choking Padme longer for better effect.

Hmmmm. How did you do that?
Old 06-02-05, 09:42 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mr. Cinema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 18,044
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ranger
I didn't want to spoil the movie with the thread title so please do not complain to me about vague titles.

Anyway, I think most of you know what I am talking about.

To complete the question: was the Vader choking Padme scene just plain awful? Padme grabbing her neck then falling down just seemed so fake. I don't understand why they couldn't have worked more on this scene since all the duels and battles in this movie had some over the top moves.
Every scene between Anakin and Padme in Ep 2 and 3 seemed fake.
Old 06-02-05, 11:08 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk Legend
 
chess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 20,804
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Hmmmm. How did you do that?
OOOOOOH!!!! I've got it. Let's have a piracy debate!

At what point is it cool to torrent this thing? When you've bought 9 theater tickets and plan to buy 2 more? $200 worth of toys? Preordered the DVD? Bought every other Star Wars DVD, including Clone Wars?

Lucas has his pound of flesh from me, and probably from Ranger too.
Old 06-02-05, 11:37 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mopower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: The Janitor's closet in Kinnick Stadium
Posts: 15,726
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chess
OOOOOOH!!!! I've got it. Let's have a piracy debate!

At what point is it cool to torrent this thing? When you've bought 9 theater tickets and plan to buy 2 more? $200 worth of toys? Preordered the DVD? Bought every other Star Wars DVD, including Clone Wars?

Lucas has his pound of flesh from me, and probably from Ranger too.

If you're going to torrent ROTS you might as well steal a car and rape the driver. Duh.
Old 06-02-05, 11:39 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mopower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: The Janitor's closet in Kinnick Stadium
Posts: 15,726
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Every scene between Anakin and Padme in Ep 2 and 3 seemed fake.

That's the dangerous combo of sucky actors and a bad script with direction from someone that has never been laid. But I watch Star Wars for the lightsaber fights so what do I know?
Old 07-01-05, 08:12 PM
  #19  
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 15
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought the scene needed work too, they coulda made it much more dramatic...
but arent we forgetting she was pregnant? I mean stress can make a girl THAT pregnant pass out anyway, not to mention the whole lava planet thing, who wouldnt pass out with all this crap pilling up?
LEts recap:
*I'm having my husband's huge baby (since she didnt know it was twins)
*In return, has just become a dark lord that murders innocent little children, so I've *flown out here with hyper space jet lag to this 2000 degree lava planet to convince him to get over himslef after everything I've sacrificed for him
*and now he's chocking the **** outta me and HOLY CRAP, IS THAT OBI WAN?????
Don't know bout u guys but I'd fall over too, even without the choking.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.