Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Did anyone else liked The Last Boy Scout?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-05, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got the dvd fm the bargain bin and just watched it.

Can't recall if the movie was a hit or not but I kind of loved the fact that they sure don't pull any punches...

Directed by Tony Scott, it has some memorable moments like the daughter who just swears her head off, the "nose to the brain" hit, the splatter of blood at the chopper's propellers, and the line that only Bruce Willis can say..."Touch me again and I'll kill ya."

It's one of those films that deservedly earned an R rating due to the violence but I just wish they would make more movies like this once in a while.
Old 05-31-05, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Joe Hallenbeck: Now what are you doing?
Jimmy Dix: I'm drawing them a picture.
Joe Hallenbeck: What's that?
Jimmy Dix: It's a bomb.
Joe Hallenbeck: It doesn't look like a bomb, it looks like an apple with lines coming out of it. What are they gonna say, "don't open the briefcase, it's full of fresh fruit"?

Old 05-31-05, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Head or gut?
Old 05-31-05, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have to get that. I loved that movie.
Old 05-31-05, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And Halle Berry gets blasted to shit so its a classic.
Old 05-31-05, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Shane Black became one of the highest paid screenwriters for this if I remember correctly. I too enjoyed it also.
Old 05-31-05, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Another for this one - it's a well-made movie that has no pretensions and delivers the goods.
Old 05-31-05, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts
Yeah, this is another movie I'll watch when it shows up on cable. I probably should get the DVD since I doubt they'll ever spring for a SE.
Old 05-31-05, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love this movie! 2 easily. I just watched this again about 2 weeks ago. Willis at his best. I'm still amazed that there was never a sequel.
Old 06-01-05, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric D.
Shane Black became one of the highest paid screenwriters for this if I remember correctly. I too enjoyed it also.
He got a ridiculous sum for Long Kiss Goodnight. That's probably what you're thinking of.

The Last Boyscout is an excellent movie. I'd rank it with Die Hard 2, Lethal Weapon 3, Man on Fire, etc. Excellent - but not the very best in the genre.
Old 06-01-05, 12:18 AM

It's been a while so I'm definitely butchering this...:

Where've you been?
Smoking some cigarettes.
For a week?
Some pretty good cigarettes.

Great flick. I'm a big Tony Scott fan.
Old 06-01-05, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Cardiac161
Got the dvd fm the bargain bin and just watched it.

Where at , Walmart ?
Old 06-01-05, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
One thing I didn't like about the movie was the end dialogue, where it was fairly obvious they had to come up with something...anything...to accomodate the final line of "Be prepared." It's almost like they wanted to end the movie with that specific line, and wrote the rest of the scene backwards from there. The only other thing that bothered me was the fact that, toward the end of the movie, nobody in the parking lot seemed to be bothered by the fact that a guy is shooting out the window of a car with a gun. Seems like everyone would have been running for cover, but everyone was just walking around like normal as he drove off. Are shootings in LA so commonplace that nobody even gives a crap?

Other than that, the movie was very cool. Definitely a guilty pleasure, and one my top three favorite Bruce Willis characters.
Old 06-01-05, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Oh yeah! I looved that movie when it came out. I hate all things WAYANS but I just ignored him and had fun with the rest of the flick.
Old 06-01-05, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Really liked this film... can't understand how people can like this and think Michael Bay is shit (assuming 95% or more people here hate Michael Bay)... *shrug*
Old 06-01-05, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

from me also! ( if they had shown Halle Berry's hooters. )
Old 06-01-05, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
A great fun film.
Old 06-01-05, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Only because this movie kicked so much ass. Definitely better than most Bruce Willis flicks. Who would've thought that a slightly feminine second rate comedian would be such a badass villain?

That said, there are a few plotholes. The football player in the beginning kills at least one other player and them himself during a game. I would think that the rest of the NFL season would likely be cancelled or at least postponed after that. Then at the end, Milo is shooting up the stadium from the lights, and nobody is running away. And how low is that helicopter flying? It must be practically at seat level. However, slick action films like this don't need explanations, they just need action and humor, and this has plenty of both. MUCH ass is kicked, sez I.
Old 06-01-05, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Guilty pleasure movie extraodinaire!
Old 06-01-05, 11:32 AM

Another from me! Fun movie!
Old 06-01-05, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Can't believe nobody quoted this line of dialogue yet:

"Sure, sure, it just happened. Could happen to anybody. It was an accident, right? You tripped, fell on the floor and accidently stuck your d*ck into my wife. 'Oops, I'm sorry, Mrs. H, I guess this just isn't my week'".
Old 06-01-05, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I heard that the ending would've been a lot bigger than what was filmed but was scrapped due to the budget spiralling out of control.
Old 06-01-05, 12:06 PM

I liked this one too. It's been quite awhile since I've seen it though. This was back when Damon Wayans was still cool (My Wife and Kids??? ). I've actually been thinking of grabbing the DVD whenever they have a sale somewhere... it's always one of those "next time" deals.
Old 06-01-05, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I picked up the dvd awhile back at Wal-Mart as well for $7. Great film that kicks major ass and is alot of edgey fun.

I think the reason some people can enjoy this film...and not like Bay films is simple.

This film is not hyper-edited to dizzing effect. You can follow what is happening in the action and nonaction sequences. It is also not a nonstop action film,and takes time to develop the charecters and plot and can be fairly dramatic at times. It keeps you involved from begining to end,without overdoing itself with desparate 'look at me' attention(like Bay).

Bay films are 100% glossy cheesefests where no hint of actual danger is felt durring the film. You know the good guys survive,you know no innocents will get hurt. You know good conquers evil in the end...and he uses the same slow motion/stylish frantic camera work time and again in every film. So it's more amusing than dramatic or moving since it's so obvious how he's trying to make you feel.

The Last Boy Scout has powerful hard hitting strong violence that is brutal and makes you feel the pain. It's not 'cool' and more 'ouch' inducing. Also you do feel like the charecters are in danger,that bad things will happen to innocent people..and the good guys might not make it...unless they really push themselves to survive. So it's alot more involving than a more glossy safe Bay action film.

Anyway I enjoy Bay for the mindless cheese factor,but his films are instantly forgettable once they are over. Meanwhile after viewing The Last Boy Scout. I can still fondly recall the charecters and dialogue and memorably sequences(of which their are many)...even after years of not seeing the film!

This and True Romance are without a doubt Tony Scotts best films in my honest opinion,with Crimson Tide coming in a close third. Everything else I've seen by him I have'nt liked too much.

Last edited by Julie Walker; 06-01-05 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-02-05, 01:03 AM
Suspended

Movie rocks, Scott rocks. I sure would love to see a SE though.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.