Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Comic-Con '05: Hollywood's "Reach the Geeks" campaign

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Comic-Con '05: Hollywood's "Reach the Geeks" campaign

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-05, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
What did David Lynch say?
David Lloyd, not Lynch. He's the co-creator/artist of "V for Vendetta." Warner flew him in as part of the movie panel.
Old 07-19-05, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
How will the filmed segments be available? For download? DVD? Id love to see them!
They'll be streamed for free on our site over the next few months. First up will be later this week with our Devil's Rejects coverage. I sent a cameraman on a ride-a-long with Sid Haig in his car on the way to the movie premiere, and then that team broke away to interview the rest of the cast (and Jon Favreau who showed up). I also filmed with the six actresses from Wedding Crashers (who are on the cover of Stuff Magazine this month), so that'll prolly go up shortly too.

While the Con experience was mostly enjoyable (except for the local food), our trip home was hellish. We missed our 6:30am flight out, so we ended up spending the entire day being bounced around like a pinball until we finally ended up in Newark at 2:30am sans our luggage (which continues to be missing).
Old 07-19-05, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr Gross,

It was cool participating in the podcast! It brought out my old journalism blood as I gave a report on the con. Saturday *DID* turn out to be crazy! See...I told you guys..."trepidation."

Thanks for the loot - I know Tom in particular was very excited with the swag.

Hope you had a great time in San Diego - it was a pleasure meeting you and I look forward to Podcast Part II in 2006!

--- Mike
Old 07-19-05, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts
Originally Posted by devilshalo
I was surprised to see the three stars of Stealth there.
While I was in line for Hall H, one guy next to me said he heard a rumor they were gonna be there. Yes, it was surprising they showed up but then I found out they were holding the premiere of Stealth here in San Diego (well, North Island Naval Air Station) the next night.

I liked the clips. For some reason I really liked the shot of Jessica flipping off the camera/actor while wearing a bikini... yum.
Old 07-19-05, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mraor
Thanks for the loot - I know Tom in particular was very excited with the swag.
Heh.... ohyeah... Misty Mundae

The Witch Who Came from the Sea was one I almost bought, so that was cool. Suburban Nightmare looks very schlocky... so should be fun
Old 07-19-05, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts
Originally Posted by TomOpus
Heh.... ohyeah... Misty Mundae
Having seen Spider-babe and Lord of the G-Strings.. I must say, she gives me the hawt in the "Alyson Hannigan is a total babe" kind of way.
Old 07-19-05, 10:00 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Originally Posted by mraor
It was cool participating in the podcast! It brought out my old journalism blood as I gave a report on the con.
Glad to hear it. Was great to have someone there to school me on comics!

So, Tom, you gonna give us the blow-by-blow on Hall H? I didn't see squat. Or are you too busy with your Misty Mundae DVDs?
Old 07-20-05, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by G. Noel Gross
So, Tom, you gonna give us the blow-by-blow on Hall H? I didn't see squat. Or are you too busy with your Misty Mundae DVDs?
Haha. I started to post but it started to get late and I was tired. Okay, here it is:

Warner Bros - Bryan Singer got things rolling with a bang. Similar to his presentation for Xmen 2 he downplayed the quality of the footage he brought for Superman Returns. The clips could be used for the trailer, that's how good they looked. There were shots of the suit, a quick glimpse of flight, shots of the Daily Planet... even a shot of Kevin Spacey (who had started filming last week) as Lex. The movie looks great!

Paramount - One of the SFX supervisors give a little insight into the vision of Steven. He brought along one of the basement clips and explained how the effects were done. It was okay. Aeon Flux brought us the loveliness of Charlize Theron, one of her co-stars and Aeon Flux creator Peter Chung. They showed some nice clips and world premiere'd the trailer. I'm still not sure if they will pull it off but the film looks interesting.

Kevin Smith - Kevin was typical Kevin. Funny as hell. He talked a little about upcoming projects.... such as Clerks 2 but was very secretative because he didn't want to raise expectations. He's still hurting from Jersey Girl and expressed how bad it turned out. Richard Kelly showed up towards the end to join Kevin and talk about Southland Tales.

Universal - Okay, I needed to keep my seat so I sat through Slither and used Serenity for a bathroom break. Actually, Slither looks very promising. If you're into fun, gory, old-school-EFX type horror movies... this is one to keep an eye out for. Serenity has a huge following and they crowd seemed to love the panel (the entire cast, I assume). Joss Whedon is actually kinda funny, so the panel was goofy fun.

Sony - Underworld 2 brought us the lovely Kate Beckinsale, Director/husband Len Wiseman... and some others but it was too difficult taking my eyes off of Kate They showed some early clips and it looks like it'll be a nice improvement over the first. Looks promising. Ghost Rider had director Mark Steven Johnson, Avi Arad (from Marvel) and another cutie Eva Mendes. Another group of clips made everyone cheer. None of the EFX were done so they had to explain what Ghost Rider will look like with the flames. They also brought out the one sheet. Yep, another one that looks promising. Next up was The Fog. The beginning of the trailer looked almost like a shot-for-shot of the original but then things took a twist. I still don't think it'll top the original but we'll see.

Then there was a surprise. They brought out an unannounced Stealth presentation. The stars Jamie Fox, Jessica Biel, Josh Lucas and director Rob Cohen showed some clips from the movie. It actually looks pretty good.

Universal - This was what I was waiting for... King Kong! Peter Jackson sent a greeting from Kiwiland. He apologized for now being there but he'll try to make it next year because he wants to walk around and do some shopping He showed the trailer... and then they brought out the stars of the film... Jack Black, Adrian Brody and (yes, another cutie) Naomi Watts. They discussed the film and then Peter Jackson introduced a scene from the movie. It was a mixture of animatics, live action and unfinished EFX. I'll include spoiler tags just in case:
Spoiler:
Kong fights not just one but THREE T-rex's. In the clip, as he's fighting off 2 of them, they all fall over a cliff but get entangled in vines criss-crossing the chasm. Kong fights off one T-rex while Ann hangs onto a vine. It begins to swing toward the waiting mouth of the other T-rex. Ann winds up hanging from the jaws of said dino. Eventually they all crash to the bottom and Kong kills the T-rex in a manner that's a direct nod to the original movie. Peter even said to look for it
. Very cool stuff and this movie will ROCK!

Tenacious D - Jack Black and Kyle rocked Hall H! Jack mentioned they have a little more than a week left until filming is done with the Tenacious D movie. They started their set with new songs from the flick then rolled into their "hits".

Yes, it was a great day in Hall H on Saturday and everyone left with smiles and tapping feet. Hope more of ya can join us next year

Last edited by TomOpus; 07-20-05 at 12:30 AM.
Old 07-20-05, 07:28 AM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Haha. I started to post but it started to get late and I was tired. Okay, here it is:
Perfect! Thanks. Hate that I missed the Underworld thing. Sigh. Sweet, sweet Kate.

However, my interest level in Aeon Flux has wilted ... stupid costumers ...

Old 07-20-05, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Warner Bros Simply beautiful. Kate is still my only concern, not for her acting, but that BIG F'N FOREHEAD takes me out of the movie. Routh looks amazing. The shot of him in space.. a little over the top but the effects seemed unfinished so I'll wait for the movie.

Paramount Why are we talking about a movie that's out and the 'advancement' of VFX when ILM already broke ground with the probe shot on a previous film... The Abyss shot in 1995? Aeon Flux just doesn't seem interesting to me. I watched the Liquid TV version of it and never got into the series. I loved watching the training of Charlize.. she be one flexible gal

Kevin Smith I think I like Kevin better when he's only got an hour to speak. He's faster with his wit. (Not weight.. his WIT. If you were at the panel, you understood this. )

Universal Slither I mentioned. I happened to like It Came From Within so I will most likely be in the theater to see this. Serenity - well, I've never seen the tv show so I don't know what to expect. And I'll keep it that way. Morena is f'n hawt

Sony - Underworld 2 Naked Kate in the clips! 'nuff said. And they played the clips twice because Len wanted to show Scott and Kate what he had cut and they didn't make it on stage yet. Ghost Rider, The Fog, Stealth I already mentioned.

Universal King Kong I still think Kong looks... small. But I'm interested to see this film. Naomi

Tenacious D I didn't stay since I needed to leave and get my Superman and Sony swag. Anyone want a Team Blaze hat?

Having spent the morning in Hall H on Friday, I knew that place was going to be an icebox. So I had a good laugh when they told the crowd that they couldn't turn the A/C down.

I was at the Henson/Mirrormask panel at the end of the day on Friday. Can you say... Dark Crystal 2? They did a great job with putting a short historical clip package together (That was hilarious fun trying to recognize the characters).. Henson Co. is 50 years strong. They showed never before seen cliips from Jim's visit to the Mike Douglas show featuring 2 puppet skits. I can't belive how far out Jim's ideas were that they gave him 15 minutes of time for those skits, but I guess looking at the time period, it sorta fits right in. They also mentioned getting Neverworld off the ground soon and Mirrormask will have some manga releases prior to bowing. They mentioned where the puppetry technology is heading and how they're incorporating it into CG technology. (However, I didn't bring up the question of Sony's new performance capture and how it compares)
Old 07-20-05, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It looks like she is wearing an exact opposite of the actual costume.
Old 07-20-05, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, Charlize does show some skin in some skimpy outfits but she said with some of the positions she's in, she wanted to keep certain body parts covered up. She ain't no Sharon Stone, ya know Go watch 2 Days in the Valley if you wanna see her in all her glory.

Thanks for your recap, devilshalo. I walked into the MirrorMask panel but it was already filled up and I couldn't stay for the whole thing anyway, so I booked.
Old 07-20-05, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Does anyone have a report on the Lost/Nightstalker panel? Especially pics of Gabrielle Union?
Old 07-20-05, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by G. Noel Gross
Went to the Masters of Horror party at the House of Blues last night. Got to meet Stan Lee, Bruce Campbell, Stuart Gordon, Don Coscarelli and Ken Foree. Woo!
???!??! Where did you hear about this? What did you need to get in (just your badge)?

Really bummed I missed this one!
Old 07-20-05, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
???!??! Where did you hear about this? What did you need to get in (just your badge)?

Really bummed I missed this one!
Yeah just his badge.... with the PRESS ribbon attached
Old 07-20-05, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

could someone post some comic cons pictures of eva mendez, or the women of wedding crashers.
Old 07-20-05, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by the_dude8
could someone post some comic cons pictures of eva mendez, or the women of wedding crashers.
My pics of her (as all of the panels that day) are all blurry
Old 07-20-05, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Use faster shutter speed!
Old 07-21-05, 08:30 AM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Yeah just his badge.... with the PRESS ribbon attached
Yeah. It was an invite-only thing. Free booze. Awesome goodie bag.
Old 07-21-05, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by devilshalo
My pics of her (as all of the panels that day) are all blurry

that sucks, what kind of camera did you use?
Old 07-21-05, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by the_dude8
that sucks, what kind of camera did you use?
Just bought a Sony DSCS60 before I went down. I just didn't bring the instruction book with me to change shutter speeds. And of course, everything in the little 2" preview looked perfect.