Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movie references in the PT vs the OT...

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-31-05, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't remember noticing any obvious movie references in the original Star Wars trilogy (maybe a big reference to the LotR books), but I've noticed several in the prequel trilogy...or at least it seems that way to me.

Just a few off the top of my head:

The Pod Race was obviously lifted from "Ben Hur". Hell, it even hit the same beats.

The Gungan/Droid Battle could have been any epic really, but Jar Jar saying "steady...steady" made it feel very "Braveheart".

Sneaking into the Tuscan Raider camp is obviously from "The Searchers" complete with nearly identical shots.

I know I've seen those gut wrenching love scenes somewhere...some crappy old musical or something.

It might be a stretch to call the Colliseum scene "Gladiatoresque", but I can't be the only one who thought it.

Oddly, I can't think of anything from ROTS.
Old 05-31-05, 05:51 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by chess
Oddly, I can't think of anything from ROTS.
You don't remember any other dozens of movies using - *clench fist* "nnnnnNNNNOOOOOOOOOO!!!"

yeah, me either
Old 05-31-05, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

RotJ seemed to reference ANH a lot.
Old 05-31-05, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Forgot the obvious Frankenstein reference...

The point, though, was that the OT didn't rely on this stuff as much...if at all.
Old 05-31-05, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The point, though, was that the OT didn't rely on this stuff as much...if at all.
Flash Gordon serials
The Hidden Fortress
Metropolis
A book reference (at that point), but there's a LOT of Dune influence in Episode 4.

I don't think the PT really "relies" on any movie references. The homages/influences are there if you want to see them. But enjoyment/understanding of the prequels doesn't require you to know the films being referenced.
Old 05-31-05, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Not to mention that the x-wing battle was shot for shot from old war videos.

I agree completely. The film isn't reliant on those shots, but it's paying tribute/homage to those scenes.
Old 05-31-05, 10:03 PM

Many critics have said the medal ceremony (and other scenes) in ANH references Triumph des Willens (Triumph of the Will, 1935) a Nazi propaganda film.
Old 05-31-05, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Don't forget Dark Star.
Old 06-01-05, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Both ROTJ & ROTS had a wookie doing the Tarzan yell as it swung to the machine.
Old 06-01-05, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I like how Anakin looks on while Palpatine uses lightning against Mace in RotS, then in RotJ he looks on as Luke gets fried. Both have similar lightning reflections on his face.
Old 06-01-05, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

errol flynn movies...
hidden fortress no doubt
Old 06-01-05, 09:30 AM

ET(or some members of his race) were in TPM
Old 06-01-05, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by resinrats
Both ROTJ & ROTS had a wookie doing the Tarzan yell as it swung to the machine.
I think it was actually the Ewok who did the yell in ROTJ. Could be wrong though.
Old 06-01-05, 11:09 AM

Sneaking into the Tuscan Raider camp is obviously from "The Searchers" complete with nearly identical shots.
Another nod to "The Searchers" is in the first movie when Luke discovers the fate of Owen and Beru.
Old 06-01-05, 11:27 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Originally Posted by taa455
I think it was actually the Ewok who did the yell in ROTJ. Could be wrong though.
You are--it was Chewie.
Old 06-01-05, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, there's several "nods" to other movies in the way of props or characters... E.T., the pod from 2001 in Wato's junkyard...

I really HATED that he re-used the Tarzan reference again in ROTS... that's embarassing.

I can't help but think of Lawrence of Arabia when I see Obi-wan on Tatooine, dunno why that is
Old 06-01-05, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Guess I was wrong about the OT...and I can't believe I forgot Hidden Fortress!
Old 06-01-05, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
You are--it was Chewie.
Well I'm glad you're so sure of yourself, but you got me curious nevertheless. I checked ROTJ (chap 38) and the fact is it's inconclusive whether Chewie or one of the Ewoks does the Tarzan yell. Their backs are toward the camera as they swing. It doesn't sound like Chewie either, IMO. Would you like to share how you know it was Chewie besides assumption?
Old 06-01-05, 04:49 PM
Banned

Well I'm glad you're so sure of yourself, but you got me curious nevertheless. I checked ROTJ (chap 38) and the fact is it's inconclusive whether Chewie or one of the Ewoks does the Tarzan yell. Their backs are toward the camera as they swing. It doesn't sound like Chewie either, IMO. Would you like to share how you know it was Chewie besides assumption?
Because it sounds exactly like him. Are you listening with BOTH ears?

Btw...I didn't even notice the yell in Sith until the second or third viewing. It's much more buried in the mix than the Jedi yell.
Old 06-01-05, 04:59 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
No damn doubt--even if you don't think it sounds like Chewie (and how the hell it doesn't escapes me), wouldn't you admit it's quite a bit deeper sonically than any Ewok you've ever heard???
Old 06-01-05, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Because it sounds exactly like him. Are you listening with BOTH ears?
Just let me say first off, it's not a big deal. I disagree that it sounds "exactly" like him. How would you determine it sounds exactly like him when Chewie never does any other such yell and therefore you have no point of reference? In my opinion, it does not sound exactly like him. Personally I thought it sounded like one of the Ewoks so I always assumed it was. Again, no big deal.

You guys so strongly disagreeing, when was the last time you watched it. I just watched/listened to it about 10 times and I still don't think it is as obvious as you are stating.
Old 06-01-05, 05:01 PM
Banned

How would you determine it sounds exactly like him when Chewie never does any other such yell and therefore you have no point of reference?
That would be like saying if my wife said a word I'd never heard her say before, I wouldn't be able to identify that she spoke it if her back was to me. Riiiiiiiight...
Old 06-01-05, 05:02 PM

Filmmaker is married to Chewbacca?
Old 06-01-05, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
That would be like saying if my wife said a word I'd never heard her say before, I wouldn't be able to identify that she spoke it if her back was to me. Riiiiiiiight...
If she yelled in some strange tone totally out of character for her, then yes you might wonder if it was her or the odd teddy bear creature clinging to her side, yes.
Old 06-01-05, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's Chewie. It has the exact same "tonal" quality as his other gargling noises that he speaks with. Honestly (and I agree, this is no big deal), I'm surprised that anyone would be confused about this. I've never even once considered that this was an Ewok. And, listening to it again, I haven't changed my mind.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.