Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Hans Solo as a Kid living amongst the Wookies, yay or nay ?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-26-05, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was very close to being included, wonder if it was filmed

Anyway i would have loved to have seen it, would have been cool
Old 05-27-05, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank God they didn't. Han doesn't meet Chewy till he rescues him from the Wookie slave trade.
Old 05-27-05, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Nay. I'm not opposed to the idea, but I don't like all these OT characters showing up in the PT. The prequels should have been used to expand the SW universe, not constrict it.

I'm actually disappointed Lucas didn't include another major character or two in the prequels. Other than Padme (who takes a back seat for most of EpIII) there weren't any major characters in all three movies that weren't from the OT. The film could have used someone like Han from the OT, an outsider with comic relief. I think perhaps Jar Jar was intended to fill that role, but thank God he was dropped.
Old 05-27-05, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am glad they did not include it. We don't need to see every OT character younger and/or as a child. Should we see Bossk or Wicket as youngsters? Of course not. I even think Chewbacca wasn't necessary. I think Han would have been a little too much. Seeing young Tarkin though was such a plus!
Old 05-27-05, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Put me in the nay column also. What would a 10 year old Han be doing? I love Chewy, but I thought that was a little unnecessary too.
Old 05-27-05, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
not just nay but FUCK NO!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-27-05, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
No. it's already known. Han saves chewie from slavery. simple as that.
Old 05-27-05, 08:05 AM

So what if he saves Chewie when he's older? He could still have lived on Kashyyk and not have met him. Do you know everyone on this planet?
Old 05-27-05, 08:52 AM

The "Han saves Chewy from slavery" thing isn't canon. It's never mentioned in any of the films.
Old 05-27-05, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
The "Han saves Chewy from slavery" thing isn't canon. It's never mentioned in any of the films.
That's cause it takes place in the 20 year gap between 3 and 4.

from http://www.starwars.com/databank/cha...cca/index.html

An immense, fur covered warrior of great strength and loyalty, Chewbacca the Wookiee was a well known figure in both the underworld and in the Rebel Alliance. Born on Kashyyyk over two centuries before the Battle of Yavin, Chewbacca was a wise, sophisticated being with exceptional skills in starship piloting and repair. For their brutish strength and technological savvy, Wookiees were enslaved by the Empire for use as labor. For a time, Chewbacca was a slave, toiling away for the betterment of the Empire until an impudent Imperial cadet named Han Solo freed him.
Old 05-27-05, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Han Solo books by A.C. Crispin go into his childhood & actually cross-reference the Brian Daley books. They are a good read unless you are a canon-ite. I'm glad he was not included in the film.
Old 05-27-05, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
But isn't the life debt thing at least mentioned? I could have sworn it was.

The wookies in ROTS were cool to see, but it was a pretty pointless scene. Han being there would have made it worse.
Old 05-27-05, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
But isn't the life debt thing at least mentioned? I could have sworn it was.
I don't think it is in any of the original three. I don't remember any reason at all given as to why Chewy & Han are together.
Old 05-27-05, 10:30 AM

But isn't the life debt thing at least mentioned?
Nope. We know that Han and Chewie are buddies, and that's it.
Old 05-27-05, 04:52 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Chewie does introduce Han and Obi-Wan, though. Obi may have known him from back in the pre-imperial days, since Yoda obviously did.
Old 05-27-05, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Originally Posted by Class316
That's cause it takes place in the 20 year gap between 3 and 4.

from http://www.starwars.com/databank/cha...cca/index.html
and notice, that's in the movies section of chewie's entry, not the EU section
Old 05-27-05, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder if it isn't in one of the novelizations. For example, the lightsaber duel near an active volcano between Kenobi and Vader was mentioned in the novelization of Star Wars, including the severe lava damage as the reason Vader was forced to wear the life-support suit.
Old 05-28-05, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Was very close to being included
It wasn't ever truly considered. Just a wacky idea Lucas had, and then thought better of it. Or someone finally spoke up and told George it was a stupid idea.
Old 05-28-05, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It would have been cool if he was in a really small cameo (not with the wookies) in a crowd scene or some thing without it being too obvious. A "Holy Crap I think that was Han on that street corner" type thing.
Old 05-29-05, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cactusoly
It would have been cool if he was in a really small cameo (not with the wookies) in a crowd scene or some thing without it being too obvious. A "Holy Crap I think that was Han on that street corner" type thing.
Yep, just like seeing John McClane in Pearl Harbor.
Old 05-29-05, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really wish my idea of the Wookiees being defeated and taken away in binders as slaves had come to fruition... Not only would it have laid the ground work for Han saving Chewie, but it also would have made sense why Chewie goes ape shit when Luke tries to put the binders on him in EP IV. Missed opportunity in my mind.
Old 05-29-05, 08:40 PM

No but it is on the Star Wars website in the movies section..not the EU!:

For their brutish strength and technological savvy, Wookiees were enslaved by the Empire for use as labor. For a time, Chewbacca was a slave, toiling away for the betterment of the Empire until an impudent Imperial cadet named Han Solo freed him.

Drummed out of the military, Solo had few options but to return to the fringe lifestyle he knew so well. Chewbacca swore loyalty to Han, and became his partner in crime. The two of them became a well-known smuggling duo. When they came into ownership of the freighter Millennium Falcon, their exploits became legendary.
Old 05-30-05, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Yep, just like seeing John McClane in Pearl Harbor.

Is that made up or serious?
Old 05-30-05, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by squaresoft7
Is that made up or serious?
serious.
Old 05-30-05, 10:49 AM

serious.

As in main char. from die hard? Can someone please elaborate, (which scene etc.)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.