DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   is finding nemo's best out of pixar's catalog? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/423859-finding-nemos-best-out-pixars-catalog.html)

pdinosaur 05-23-05 02:59 PM

is finding nemo's best out of pixar's catalog?

thread splitting again, all you top 100 movies of Time folk.

why do some consider finding nemo to be one of pixar's lesser efforts?

i think it's one of the better, if not the best.

what makes toy story better than nemo?

discuss! :)

PopcornTreeCt 05-23-05 03:04 PM

I enjoyed Finding Nemo for its dazzling underwater effects. I do think Toy Story is the best outing because it gives us a perspective of toys and a "what if" that had never been done before. And then expanded that even more with the inclusion of Buzz Lightyear. I think Toy Story is the most original and best Pixar film.

Josh H 05-23-05 03:22 PM

It's my least favorite. I guess I just found it to be the "most kiddy" of the films. The others seemed to have more "adult" jokes. i.e. stuff that's funny to us that goes over kids heads. Plus Nemo was just kind of boring to me for some reason.

I'm mean, don't get me wrong. It's still a very good film, just my least favorite of all the excellent Pixar films.

I'd rank them as:

The Incredibles
Toy Story 2
Toy Story
Monsters Inc.
A Bugs Life
Finding Nemo.

RichC2 05-23-05 03:25 PM

My ranking:

The Incredibles
Toy Story 2
Finding Nemo
Monsters Inc
A Bug's Life
Toy Story

Finding Nemo was a very well done and visually stimulating film, I just didn't find it terribly interesting, involving or particularly entertaining. But it still reigns above MI, ABL and TS in my book.

Cornelius1047 05-23-05 03:30 PM

I think Finding Nemo is definitely overrated, but I still like it quite a bit. I'd probably rank Pixar movies as such:

1. Toy Story
2. Toy Story 2
3. The Incredibles
4. Finding Nemo
5. A Bug's Life
6. Monster's Inc.

They're all good and I own every one of them, but the Toy Story movies just make me laugh more.

K

LorenzoL 05-23-05 04:25 PM

There is already a thread in regards to favorite/best Pixar movies.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ighlight=Pixar

pdinosaur 05-23-05 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
There is already a thread in regards to favorite/best Pixar movies.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ighlight=Pixar

i knew that was around somewhere, but i didn't search too hard.

glad you didn't get mean about it :)

personally, if i want to discuss something, i'm just gonna discuss it. i don't wanna flip thru the many threads on this site before i decide i'm safely posting a new thread rather than one that's already been brought up.

Mr. Salty 05-23-05 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by pdinosaur
personally, if i want to discuss something, i'm just gonna discuss it. i don't wanna flip thru the many threads on this site before i decide i'm safely posting a new thread rather than one that's already been brought up.

:rolleyes:

Jason 05-23-05 06:34 PM

My list would be

1. The Incredibles
2. Monsters, Inc.
3. Toy Story 2
4. Finding Nemo
5. Toy Story
6. A Bug's Life
7. Cars (if the trailer is any indication)

Hiro11 05-23-05 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Jason
My list would be

1. The Incredibles
2. Monsters, Inc.
3. Toy Story 2
4. Finding Nemo
5. Toy Story
6. A Bug's Life
7. Cars (if the trailer is any indication)

Perfect.

DVD King 05-23-05 07:48 PM

I couldn't stand Finding Nemo. I could easily see how it would appeal to kids and adults that are watching it with their kids, but in my opinion there's not a lot to offer more mature audiences. The story is very simple, I didn't find the characters likeable at all, or interesting, and the humor couldn't have been aimed at kids anymore than it was. To me a good family film is one that can find the right balance between pleasing kids and adults-- like aladdin, lion king, the incredibles. I felt Nemo was way too kid-friendly and it's ridiculous that TIME chose it over one of those films I listed. It's one of the most overrated movies i've ever seen.

FantasticVSDoom 05-23-05 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
It's my least favorite. I guess I just found it to be the "most kiddy" of the films. The others seemed to have more "adult" jokes. i.e. stuff that's funny to us that goes over kids heads. Plus Nemo was just kind of boring to me for some reason.

I'm mean, don't get me wrong. It's still a very good film, just my least favorite of all the excellent Pixar films.

I'd rank them as:

The Incredibles
Toy Story 2
Toy Story
Monsters Inc.
A Bugs Life
Finding Nemo.

:up: I would agree with all of this except I would swap Toy Story 1 and 2. Just a preference since the original holds a special spot for me.

RichardW 05-23-05 09:18 PM

1. Monsters, Inc.
2. The Incredibles
3. Toy Story 2
4. Finding Nemo
5. Toy Story
6. A Bug's Life

RyoHazuki 05-24-05 01:13 AM

No. Finding Nemo is the worst pixar film by a big margin.

Hokeyboy 05-24-05 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
No. Finding Nemo is the worst pixar film by a big margin.

:mad:

That was a real one, actually. Forgot what that felt like.

Mr. Cinema 05-24-05 07:33 AM

A Bug's Life is my favorite and The Incredibles my least favorite.

TheNightFlier 05-24-05 09:21 AM

I'd put it second to last, ahead of A Bug's Life. Pixar's worst is still very good though.

cleaver 05-24-05 09:45 AM

Monsters, Inc.
Incredibles
Toy Story
Rest are too close to call

IanH 05-24-05 10:53 AM

Wow I didn't know Finding Nemo was so disliked (or at least ranked so low) among this group.

I found almost every subsequent Pixar film to be an improvement over the last in many ways. Not just technically, but storywise and characters as well. I thought The Incredibles and Finding Nemo would appeal to adults more because both deal with the trials, tribulations, and joys of parenthood. While The Incredibles expanded upon those familiar themes like friendship, loyalty, courage, parenthood, and added some incisive social commentary as well. While Toy Story movies and Bug's Life are entertaining I found them to be more kid friendly. I own all the movies and love them all though.

1. The Incredibles
2. Finding Nemo
3. Monsters Inc.
4. Toy Story
5. Toy Story 2
6. A Bug's Life

treszoks 05-24-05 11:14 AM

1. The Incredibles
2. Finding Nemo
3. Toy Story 2
4. Toy Story
5. A Bug's Life
6. Monsters Inc.

wildcatlh 05-24-05 12:59 PM

1. The Incredibles
2. Monsters Inc.
3. Toy Story
4. Toy Story 2
5. A Bug's Life
6. Finding Nemo

Not to say that Nemo was a bad film, because it wasn't. I just like the others better.

Bugg 05-24-05 01:42 PM

1- Toy Story A+
2- A Bugs Life A
3- Monsters Inc. A
4- The Incredibles B+
5- Finding Nemo B
6- Toy Story 2 C (I think this one is very over-rated)

msdmoney 05-24-05 02:43 PM

Toy Story 1 & 2 are tied for #1 IMO. I found them both to be the most clever and creative of pixar's efforts.

Finding Nemo was just okay, great by typical movie standards, but mediocre by pixar's standards. The short term memory loss gig has been way overdone, and many of the cliched characters like the turtle I just found annoying. Do people still find the "surfer" speak funny after all these years?

dick_grayson 05-24-05 02:46 PM

Are there any Pixars that are particularly bad? I have yet to see Toy Story 2, but rather enjoyed the first. I should be receiving the 2nd one any day now. Also, have never seen A Bug's Life, so I guess when that arrives, I'll have to watch it sooner rather than later....

IanH 05-24-05 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by msdmoney
Toy Story 1 & 2 are tied for #1 IMO. I found them both to be the most clever and creative of pixar's efforts.

Finding Nemo was just okay, great by typical movie standards, but mediocre by pixar's standards. The short term memory loss gig has been way overdone, and many of the cliched characters like the turtle I just found annoying. Do people still find the "surfer" speak funny after all these years?

I guess it really depends on your point of view. With Finding Nemo I felt a real sense of danger for the fishes and the creatures. With Toy Story being exiled into obscurity or sold at a garage sale was the greatest danger for the toys it seemed. With the fishes I got a sense they could be killed, eaten, or flushed down the toilet at any moment. I felt this was the first time Pixar took upon the topic of death in a serious way. A Bug's Life dealt with the possibility of Death too but Finding Nemo had a more acute sense of tragedy and loss because Nemo's mother was actually eaten from the beginning. I was sucked more into the story felt more for the characters because of that. I kept a lot of fish in aquariums for many years so I liked all the little gags too. I admit the surfer speaking turtle was a tired character (although at my screening all the kids seemed to love LOVE that character) and I missed Ellen DeGeneres' humour after so many years. I guess this is why I felt Finding Nemo was balanced more towards adults than Toy Story 1 and 2.

I don't know. They are all excellent and I guess certain things just "speak" to certain people.