DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Regarding General Grievous (possible spoilers) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/423817-regarding-general-grievous-possible-spoilers.html)

Class316 05-23-05 10:51 AM

Regarding General Grievous (possible spoilers)

I don’t get this! In the cartoons he was so powerful killing like 10 Jedis without breaking a sweat and he was totally destroyed by Obi Wan in ROTS? What’s up with that?

Did Mace crushing his lungs weaken him THAT much?

Also, why couldn’t they repair his lungs the way him and Vader were repaired?

Mopower 05-23-05 10:55 AM

We don't even know what the hell Grevious is do we? Didn't everyone assume he was a driod since the opening scrawl calls him the "driod general"? It was only until Obi-Wan saw his guts before he shot him that we found out. That's why I think the coughing thing was dumb and should have been left out.

Class316 05-23-05 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Mopower
We don't even know what the hell Grevious is do we? Didn't everyone assume he was a driod since the opening scrawl calls him the "driod general"? It was only until Obi-Wan saw his guts before he shot him that we found out. That's why I think the coughing thing was dumb and should have been left out.

I believe he’s a separatist General who was almost killed in combat and then restored the same way Anakin was. That’s why he had no force powers cause he’s not a Jedi.

I think the term “Droid General” simply means that he’s the General of the Droids.

Still, doesn’t explain why/how Obi Wan defeated him so easily when he so easily killed so many Jedis.

QuiGonJosh 05-23-05 11:01 AM

I heard a idea that he was indeed Sifo-Dyas that is mentioned in AOTC, he told the Kaminoans to create a Clone Army. He was then killed and brought back to life by Dooku or Palpatine, again just a idea.

Noonan 05-23-05 11:04 AM

Read Labrynth of Evil. Gives you all the back story on Grevious. However I do agree that it should have been explained better in the movie.

Fok 05-23-05 11:53 AM

The fact he was killed so easly was pretty sad

chrisih8u 05-23-05 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Class316
I don’t get this! In the cartoons he was so powerful killing like 10 Jedis without breaking a sweat and he was totally destroyed by Obi Wan in ROTS? What’s up with that?

Did Mace crushing his lungs weaken him THAT much?

Also, why couldn’t they repair his lungs the way him and Vader were repaired?

I didnt watch the clone wars cartoon. Is that why he was coughing and wheezing? I wondered why he did that.

Class316 05-23-05 12:12 PM

yea Mace used the force to collapse his lungs.

CPA-ESQ. 05-23-05 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by noonan4224
Read Labrynth of Evil. Gives you all the back story on Grevious. However I do agree that it should have been explained better in the movie.

Could you take us to School on this topic? I'm curious as to his backstory?

thephantom 05-23-05 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
Could you take us to School on this topic? I'm curious as to his backstory?

Grevious appeared in the Clone Wars animated skits on Cartoon Network. In the original set he shows up near the end, the 18-20th show. Basically his appearance is him kicking the holy shit out of half a dozen Jedi. In the skits he wears a belt with the lightsabers of all the jedi he's killed, and he's got like 10. At on point he's wields 5 sabers at once while balanced on one foot.

Later, in the second series it picks up exactly where it leaves off, and Grevous manages to survive a fight with some previously-establish ultra-elite clone commandos. Throughout the rest of the serious he's a one man wrecking crew who leaves a wake of devestation everywhere he goes, and the only thing that even slows him down is Mace Windu.

I had assumed he'd be recovered from that fight and we'd some badass destruction but overall he was fairly lame. I had forgotten the damage he'd taken from Mace so my perspectives were a little out of line but he still wasn't that impressive.

Noonan 05-23-05 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by thephantom
Grevious appeared in the Clone Wars animated skits on Cartoon Network. In the original set he shows up near the end, the 18-20th show. Basically his appearance is him kicking the holy shit out of half a dozen Jedi. In the skits he wears a belt with the lightsabers of all the jedi he's killed, and he's got like 10. At on point he's wields 5 sabers at once while balanced on one foot.

Later, in the second series it picks up exactly where it leaves off, and Grevous manages to survive a fight with some previously-establish ultra-elite clone commandos. Throughout the rest of the serious he's a one man wrecking crew who leaves a wake of devestation everywhere he goes, and the only thing that even slows him down is Mace Windu.

I had assumed he'd be recovered from that fight and we'd some badass destruction but overall he was fairly lame. I had forgotten the damage he'd taken from Mace so my perspectives were a little out of line but he still wasn't that impressive.

I meant that the book talks about who he was before he even became part robot. It went into pretty good depth. I don't remember much of the story off the top of my head, and I'm at work and don't have access to the book. I'll try to refresh myself tonight when I get home.

PopcornTreeCt 05-23-05 02:57 PM

I don't think he was taken down that easily. The scene was quite long.

Jackskeleton 05-23-05 03:16 PM

Pretty much the back story is he's species is Omix-patra. Not wanting to get involved in the fighting Dooku made him have a little accident in a ship so that they could transform him into a cyborg and then did a similiar to what Palp did with Anakin to turn him to work with him as an excellent driod general.

Now as to why he was different in Clone Wars. Remember, the production company that was working on clone wars while lucas was working episode III had the same starting info on him, but pretty much didn't know what the other was pretty much doing. The clone wars crew didn't know much of anything other than his look and his sum up. So fighting style and voice was all something tossed up in the air and up for grabs.

To say the least, the Cartoon network crew took him a bit to far in what he could do. But the best way to explain why he got so powered down was because of the lung crushing and the time difference between the events that happen and a lack of ability to fix himself and dooku being dead.

Dooku also did give him new advice on how to fight a Jedi. So that did change up his wild fighting style.

I thought the filmed did a great job in showing him off. Cocky and all. It seemed like a fighting end. No sabers left to battle with, he had to move to something else and most of all, why would you want to push another cyborg up that could potentially over shadow Vader who should be the main focus of this film.

The General's purpose was served. he was there to reflect the final aspect of Vader in the prequel trilogy.

In episode I you see the sith bad guy be pure anger and brute hate. In Episode II you see the sith being someone who has that class and excellent regal posture. Very much filled with a pressence of nobility. In episode III you see the sith villian (well, he's not sith, but you get the point) being a cyborg. on life support and serving under his master.

All these are aspects of Vader. While by themselves they failed, together in Vader, they make up the ultimate in Sith. So I really liked that aspect of the trilogy. That one of the three isn't enough. But all three together make Vader even more bad ass.

thephantom 05-23-05 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I don't think he was taken down that easily. The scene was quite long.

He got totally punked by Obi-wan the whole scene. It was long because he had 4 arms that had to be cut off, then he ran like a chickenshit. There was no reason to assume he'd be a good fight anyway, all we really saw from him was running and getting his arms chopped off. Anyone who didn't know who Grievous was, that's all they saw of him, I'd imagine those folks weren't too impressed. He's just a glorified bad guy red shirt.

After having watched him in the cartoons, he should have been able to beat Obi-Wan's ass with one foot while playing himself in a game of Splinter Cell on X-Box live.

beginner's luck 05-23-05 03:37 PM

Since he sounds like Triumph the Insult Comic Dog, I think Grievious is just Triumph in a robot's body, brought back after some celebrities got angry at his insults and beat him to a pulp. The cough = emphysema from all those cigars.

On a different note, Grievious "heart" didn't seem very well protected.. Obi-Wan just pried open his chest plates with his bare hands in 1-2 secs and it was exposed.

Jackskeleton 05-23-05 03:51 PM

A jedi should be a bit more powerful. So that prying open could have taken some engery in itself.

He's just a glorified bad guy red shirt.
Well.. that's what he's suppose to be.

thephantom 05-23-05 03:57 PM

Yeah I know, I'm just saying he went out like any other random droid, they just stretched it out over 5 mins. Nothing he did seemed impressive. He pulls out 4 lightsabers and I'm like "oh yeah, here we go!" Whack! Obi-Wan cuts an arm off. Then 15 seconds later he runs again(and keeps running for 5 mins). The other glorified red shirts in the series(Darth Maul, Jango Fett) at least had great fights at one point or another.

Giantrobo 05-23-05 04:06 PM

Didn't someone post a comic scon here showing The general's origin? His skeleton was carved from the bone of some creature and he was resentful and embarassed to have been brought back and made into a what he had become.

IanH 05-23-05 04:15 PM

The fact that he was a coward made him seem....more human.

I don't know much outside the SW canon (6 movies). But I thought he was an interesting character besides the usual brave heroes and evil bad guys.

Think of it this way. Grievous' fight/death was a lot more exciting than Boba Fett's ignoble death (which was purely accident) in ROTJ. Now, that was disappointing and anticlimactic end for a character that was really built up in the minds of fans.

Ketamine 05-23-05 04:19 PM

He didn't need to be quite as powerful as in the cartoon, but if he took out a few jedi in the movie before Obi-Wan got to him, it would have elevated both his character and Obi-Wan. I said this in a previous post that all they needed to do was have 4 jedi go to save Palpatine in the beginning instead of just two (Palp is pretty important after all). Obi-Wan and Anakin go after Palp while the other two look for Grievous/Dooku. The other 2 jedi find Grievous, we get to see him be a badass and kill the jedi. Now even people who haven't read the book or seen the cartoon know that he is a bad mo-fo jedi killer by some means other than the fact that he collects lightsabers. Anakin and Obi-Wan fight Dooku and kill him and save Palpatine. Then end up with a quick showdown against Grievous where he ends up taking off thinking the ship is going down with the jedi on it. Flash to later in the movie, make Obi-Wan and his fight a little closer, but when Obi-Wan beats him, it actually means a lot more and shows how skilled Obi-Wan really is. It really wouldn't have been hard, would have only added 5 minutes to the movie but made a lot of people happier (who wouldn't want one more lightsaber duel?), and elevated all the characters involved. Grievous was one area that I was really disappointed in after watching this movie. Other than a couple other minor things, I did like ROTS but IMHO, Lucas and crew dropped the ball on this part.

IanH 05-23-05 04:27 PM

Obi-Wan was a Jedi with skills above the avg. Jedi. Not just better than avg. but possibly equal to or even more powerful than Mace Windu. We saw that he could really step up to the plate and even channel his "anger" (which a Jedi isn't supposed to do) at times. Like the time when he defeated Darth Maul when he was only a Padwan. Even Qui-Gon was beaten by Darth Maul. But after Qui-Gon is killed he emerged from the laser blast shield like a Jedi possessed. And of course he beats Anakin as well.*

When Obi-Wan is really pissed and takes thing personally he can be deceptively dangerous. Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan did that really well. Thats why Obi-Wan may be my favorite character in the entire SW series. Lots of subtle sides to this guy. He just squeeked ahead of Han Solo, Vader, and R2.

*Possible spoiler: Darth Maul had the high ground and ObiWan held the "low ground" in TPM. In ROTS Obi-Wan held the high ground while Anakin held the "low". Both times Obi-Wan knew what to do. Anakin tried to do a similar trick that Obi-Wan did when he defeated Darth Maul. But Obi-Wan saw it coming and was able to defeat Anakin. He warned him not to do it....................... Or maybe that was Obi-Wan's way of goading Anakin to try it. Yeah, try it you bastard. :saber: :p

SteveGo 05-23-05 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by IanH
...Boba Fett's ignoble death (which was purely accident) in ROTJ. Now, that was disappointing and anticlimactic end for a character that was really built up in the minds of fans.

Except that Boba Fett didn't die, he eventually got out of the Sarlac Pit, a pretty cool story actually, it was on one of the books that had a lot of stories compiled in one book. Can't remember the name, but the story had someone talking to Fett while he was in the Sarlac Pit and mentioned that he shared a lot of the same qualities of a jedi.

BizRodian 05-23-05 04:37 PM

Maybe he was so overly powerful in the cartoon because EVERYONE was overly powerful and over the top in the cartoon.

IanH 05-23-05 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by SteveGo
Except that Boba Fett didn't die, he eventually got out of the Sarlac Pit, a pretty cool story actually, it was on one of the books that had a lot of stories compiled in one book. Can't remember the name, but the story had someone talking to Fett while he was in the Sarlac Pit and mentioned that he shared a lot of the same qualities of a jedi.

See, I guess I'm one of those people who only want to deal with what we see and hear in the 6 movies. Either way Boba Fett was "defeated" in a very ignoble way. Like getting shot by friendly fire or being run over by a supply truck. The movies is where these characters become stars and make their mark for me unfortunately.

HN 05-23-05 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by SteveGo

Yeah, and Old Yeller was shot with blanks :p