Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ep.III: has it restored your faith in Hayden, the prequels, or Lucas?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-05, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To me, Hayden's acting was amazing. He has come a LONG way.

Also, catching AOTC last night on TV, everything was a little better after having seen ROTS -- a little more bearable.

I'm also happy that it broke records for Georgy boy.
Old 05-23-05, 09:30 AM
Banned

I never lost faith.

I've loved all the films.
Old 05-23-05, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
He may have improved but I think it's more likely that people have simply become use to him and his acting style.
Old 05-23-05, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh
I never lost faith.

I've loved all the films.
Same here.
Old 05-23-05, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nope, not it for me. I watched AOTC and thought he was shitty in it still, and I think he was excellent in ROTS: his delivery and emotion and timing are infinitely better. (which is to be expected since he had another 3 years to perfect his 'craft').

AOTC: Not use to it
ROTS: can't get enough of it
Old 05-23-05, 09:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Same here.
You know, I've been noticing that me and you agree on a lot of things.

But, unfortunately, you hate Family Guy...and I can't ask you to rule the galaxy with me...sorry.
Old 05-23-05, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hayden is still bad. Maybe he's improved. This was definitely his best performance.
Old 05-23-05, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like Hayden especially in ROTS. It's Lucas's dialogue that needs to go. I wish he would have got a good screen writer to write the dialogue for the scenes with Anikin and Padme. The how "Because I love you" scene in ROTS had the whole crowd in the theater laughing. Pathetic. Even the best actor couldn't pull that shit off.
Old 05-23-05, 09:45 AM
Banned

Oh would you guys just give a rest with the fuckin "He can't write for shit" bashing? It's old! And if you don't like it, go watch the OT...notice anything? Oh yes that's right, it's the same fuckin style of dialogue!

I never understood complaints against dialogue period, has long as it moves the story along and gives character interaction, it's good.

And Hayden was perfect in both AOTC and ROTS. Hayden actually wanted to play it all dark in AOTC, but George told him to play it like a teenager, which Anakin is at that stage. Hayden was perfect and I dare anyone to watch 4-6 now and not think of Hayden under the mask. He brought a real heart and soul to what was previously a pretty soulless character.
Old 05-23-05, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh would you guys just give a rest with the fuckin "He can't write for shit" bashing? It's old! And if you don't like it, go watch the OT...notice anything? Oh yes that's right, it's the same fuckin style of dialogue!

Sorry for saying my opinion in a thread that asks for it. Why can't people that think the dialogue is good just live with the fact that some people think it sucks and shut the fuck up about it?
Old 05-23-05, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

And Hayden was perfect in both AOTC and ROTS.
That is your OPINION. Don't bash others for stating their own opinions.
Old 05-23-05, 10:16 AM
Banned

Did I bash him? Hardly. All I was saying is that shit is so old, get over it, half the damn internet is full of "Lucas can't write for shit" type messages...I just get sick of hearin that shit, you know what I mean?

Sorry, I just get a little pissed at the general attitude of people online sometimes...it wasn't really anything personal, just needed to vent...sorry.
Old 05-23-05, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why -- online people RULE!!!

This thread is meant for everyone to say how they really feel -- there's no right or wrong.
Old 05-23-05, 10:28 AM
Banned

I never said that it was right or wrong, god does anyone even bother reading anyones fuckin posts or do they just spout off shit to get their typing skills better.

I said I just get sick of hearing the same old complaints again and again...move on...
Old 05-23-05, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It never wavered.
Old 05-23-05, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I never lost faith either, so there
Old 05-23-05, 10:55 AM
Banned

^ Great sig!
Old 05-23-05, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I never understood complaints against dialogue period, has long as it moves the story along and gives character interaction, it's good.
Fantastic! Why not just state "I don't care about dialogue in Star Wars movies" Instead of shitting all over people in the thread

I do care about dialogue. It sucked. It did not suck in the OT, especially ESB. ANH had mediocore dialgoue,and the throne room battle in ROTJ had a fantastic blend of dialogue and real acting - which is something sorely missing from the prequels (save some parts from ROTS)

All I was saying is that shit is so old, get over it, half the damn internet is full of "Lucas can't write for shit" type messages...I just get sick of hearin that shit, you know what I mean?
And so is Lucas' apologists who shit all over others who dare say the PT was not up to snuff with the OT. I guess you want all of the Internet to say "the PT was fantastic! Woo hoo" Great. Except that wouldn't be the truth nor very interesting
Old 05-23-05, 11:11 AM

I'm not a Prequel hater. Its Star Wars. Even before I saw TPM I knew I was going to be taken back to a galaxy far far away with jedi knights, their lightsabers, spectacular space battles, fantastic worlds, and a "continuation" of a series I loved. Besides the CGI, which I sometimes have a problem with, I got what I wanted.

But, the fatal flaw of the Prequels was exactly what made the OT great beyond the special effects and creatures. Lucas forgot to keep it simple. A FAIRY TALE for kids and adults. The OT could be explained to any 5 year old and he could get what it was basically about.

Episode IV A New Hope: Rescue the princess from the Death Star (castle) and blow up the Death Star (kill the dragon).

Episode V ESB: Escape from the Imperial Forces, Luke learns to be a Jedi and tries to rescue his friends from the Empire.

Episode VI: Rescue Han from a deadly gangster, final confrontation between Luke and his father, and the Empire is destroyed.

Now try to sum up the Prequels. Sure its got many of the familiar and simple elements but the focus became lost and spread out among disparate character and politics. What the OT had were focused characters driving towards a common goal and that is what gave the OT such great momentum. The Prequels on the other hand constantly switched gears. Lucas attempted to make a historical epic with numerous court intrigues and tried to keep the breathless Saturday Matinee pace as well. That was and will always be the Prequels' fatal flaw. We always saw the Galactic Civil War from the ground level point of view. Either from the POV of Leia, Luke, Han, 3P0/R2, or Chewie. We were always caught up with what they were doing and we often felt limited by what they knew as well. The Prequels on the other hand felt less intimate because it didn't seem to have the same perspective. It told us everything that was going on and so the story felt less personal. The sense of fun that was central to the OT came in spurts interrupted by history lessons that were as dull as any text book.

If Lucas kept the politics in the background and kept it simple like the OT I doubt we'd think too much about Hayden, the bad acting, the bad dialog, or the other things as we have now.

*For many of the same reasons I think this is why I seem to feel less affection for The Two Towers and Return of the King compared to The Fellowhip of the Ring. Peter Jackson on the other hand managed to somehow keep the focus on the main characters but as soon as the story turned towards more broader themes the movies did feel more impersonal. LOTR on the other hand managed to keep its momentum; although there were many times that TTT and ROTK were in danger of falling into the same trap that the SW Prequels fell into.

Last edited by IanH; 05-23-05 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-23-05, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
No on Lucas, yes on Hayden.
Old 05-23-05, 11:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by chanster
Fantastic! Why not just state "I don't care about dialogue in Star Wars movies" Instead of shitting all over people in the thread

I do care about dialogue. It sucked. It did not suck in the OT, especially ESB. ANH had mediocore dialgoue,and the throne room battle in ROTJ had a fantastic blend of dialogue and real acting - which is something sorely missing from the prequels (save some parts from ROTS)

And so is Lucas' apologists who shit all over others who dare say the PT was not up to snuff with the OT. I guess you want all of the Internet to say "the PT was fantastic! Woo hoo" Great. Except that wouldn't be the truth nor very interesting
Old 05-23-05, 11:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by IanH
I'm not a Prequel hater. Its Star Wars. Even before I saw TPM I knew I was going to be taken back to a galaxy far far away with jedi knights, their lightsabers, spectacular space battles, fantastic worlds, and a "continuation" of a series I loved. Besides the CGI, which I sometimes have a problem with, I got what I wanted.

But, the fatal flaw of the Prequels was exactly what made the OT great beyond the special effects and creatures. Lucas forgot to keep it simple. A FAIRY TALE for kids and adults. The OT could be explained to any 5 year old and he could get what it was basically about.

Episode IV A New Hope: Rescue the princess from the Death Star (castle) and blow up the Death Star (kill the dragon).

Episode V ESB: Escape from the Imperial Forces, Luke learns to be a Jedi and tries to rescue his friends from the Empire.

Episode VI: Rescue Han from a deadly gangster, final confrontation between Luke and his father, and the Empire is destroyed.

Now try to sum up the Prequels. Sure its got the same familiar and simple elements but the focus became lost and spread out among disparate character and politics. What the OT had were focused characters driving towards a common goal and that is what gave the OT such great momentum. The Prequels on the other hand constantly switched gears. Lucas attempted to make a historical epic with numerous court intrigues and tried to keep the breathless Saturday Matinee pace as well. That was and will always be the Prequels' fatal flaw. We always saw the Galactic Civil War from the ground level point of view. Either from the POV of Leia, Luke, Han, 3P0/R2, or Chewie. We were always caught up with what they were doing and we often felt limited by what they knew as well. The Prequels on the other hand felt less intimate because it didn't seem to have the same perspective. It told us everything that was going on and so the story felt less personal. The sense of fun that was central to the OT came in spurts interrupted by history lessons that were as dull as any text book.

If Lucas kept the politics in the background and kept it simple like the OT I doubt we'd think too much about Hayden, the bad acting, the bad dialog, or the other things as we have now.

*For many of the same reasons I think this is why I seem to feel less affection for The Two Towers and Return of the King compared to The Fellowhip of the Ring. Peter Jackson on the other hand managed to somehow keep the focus on the main characters but as soon as the story turned towards more broader themes the movies did feel more impersonal. LOTR on the other hand managed to keep its momentum; although there were many times that TTT and ROTK were in danger of falling into the same trap that the SW Prequels fell into.
Or it's just that the PT is a lot far more complex, both emotionally and politically than the OT ever was.
Old 05-23-05, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You can use your damn horse beating icon but you said it, and I have the right to call you out on it.

Or it's just that the PT is a lot far more complex, both emotionally and politically than the OT ever was.
Complex? In a series that had some of the most fantastic simple minded dialogue about love and romance (ala AOTC) I think you need to re-define your term complex.

And who the fuck cares about complex political maneuvering in Star Wars films? Thats like saying, gasp, you go to Star Wars films for the dialogue!
Old 05-23-05, 11:22 AM

IanH -

I still think Christensen's acting sucked big time. Fortunately, there was enough other stuff in this movie to help offset it.

QuiGonJosh - you seem to take this all a bit too personally. I guess it would be hard to expect objectivity about SW from someone that calls himself "QuiGon" though . BTW, I think some of the dialogue - no, I know - was pretty bad.

But Lucas did redeem himself with this one.
Old 05-23-05, 11:23 AM
Banned

I think you need to watch the fucking movies, cause it's really quite obvious that you don't know shit about the flicks. If you think the PT is simple minded like the OT, then you're just fuckin stupid, no offense man.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.