Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Top 100 movies of All Time accd to Time magazine's Schikel and Corliss

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Top 100 movies of All Time accd to Time magazine's Schikel and Corliss

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-05, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I checked out the list, Ive seen a lot of them, but not all. A couple things, all are IMHO:
1. I am glad they are doing foriegn films as well as America, that one of the problems with AFi, but duh AMERICAN FI.
2. I am suprised blade runner made it, I like that movies, but it has more of a cult status that a critical acclaim.
3. I am elated Ikiru made the list, hands down my favorite of Kuro's films, and I am always suprised how few were familiar with this movie before the CC discs, even people "in the know."
4. I know someone has already mentioned it, but how can Annie Hall not make the list if Purple Rose of Cairo did. I mean c'mom, if neither of them made the list, i would be likeok, they're not into Woody, but how does that one make it and not the other.
5. Empire and Indy, have already been mentioned.

...my 2 pennies...

Nick

(edited to add) No gone with the wind, how is that possible?

Last edited by ivelostr2; 05-24-05 at 11:02 PM.
Old 05-24-05, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hardtack
Exactly!! And further reasons to disregard the list are:

a) They included The Singing Detective starring Michael Gambon - this was not even a movie, it was serialised for television! Boof! there goes their credibility.
b) Finding Nemo - if animation is going to be nominated then surely Animal Farm or Grave of the Fireflies would rate way ahead of that.
c) As enjoyable as A Hard Days Night was, it is not really top 100 material. If you are going to nominate musicals, then nominate West Side Story; if you are going to nominate pop culture musicals, then nominate The Girl Can't Help It.
b).
I also think finding nemo is neither as good as Shrek, Toy Story or Lion King or as important as those films. Toy Story was completely new, it changed peoples expectation, Shrek changed Disney's perception as being un challengable, and Lion King, (maybe its my skewed perspective being a teen then) made disney not just for girls, as it had been for the few years before that film.

c).
I was pleased that Meet me in St. Louis was there, I love this movie, and I can never articulate why, but I just love it...
Old 05-25-05, 07:53 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by hardtack
Exactly!! And further reasons to disregard the list are:

a) They included The Singing Detective starring Michael Gambon - this was not even a movie, it was serialised for television! Boof! there goes their credibility.
So were Berlin Alexanderplatz and The Decalogue. It's become accepted practice among film critics and scholars to consider those works "films"*, since that is how they are most often seen these days, as theatrical releases. For example, recently I was at theatrical viewing of Maurice Pialat's miniseries from the 70's called The House in the Country. It's unlikely I would ever see it on TV, but in a theater, quite likely.

As for disregarding the list because of the omission of Seven Samurai, see what I wrote above about "personal fanboy favorites". Several films which I consider to be superior to that film were also omitted, but I don't consider that cause to dismiss the list out of hand. Instead, I consider it a challenge to further explore films I'm either not familiar with or that I might have unfairly discounted in the past.

*For purposes of making lists like the one we're discussing now.
Old 05-27-05, 01:37 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seven Samurai = "personal fanboy favorites"?
Old 05-27-05, 08:09 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Myster X
Seven Samurai = "personal fanboy favorites"?
Sadly, that's what it's been reduced to on this forum.